“Hard to say goodbye!”

The Concierge Boutique Bungalows
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Durban
“Hard to say goodbye!”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week in August 2012, getting ready for a cousin's wedding. We loved our room (funky decor, a very comfy king-sized bed, lots of storage, and an amazing shower, not to mention a beautiful walk-out courtyard area which we shared with our traveling mates next door). The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We were so sad to leave when our week in Durban was over.

Room Tip: There was nothing private about the shower and toilet in our room (just a curtain between you and yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Concierge is the place to be when in Durban - close to the city centre and the Golden Mile and in the middle of the happening area - near great restaurants and clubs. The staff are friendly and make the best coffee - the rooms are modern and comfortable with outdoor areas - flatscreen TVs and rain showers! You do not feel like you are staying at a hotel - but at a friend's cool and stylish apartment. The breakfast options are great as well. Good value for money - safe and secure and in one of the best locations in Durban!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jorge B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Concierge during our first trip to Durban and we highly recommend it. The one warning you should have: the place can be incredibly difficult to find, as the entrance is off of an alley that doesn't appear on certain maps. I would highly recommend you speak with them by phone and confirm directions prior to heading over. That said, the place is truly amazing.

The rooms are modern and every piece of furniture and every fixture in the rooms contributes to a unique ambiance. I read one review where someone complained about the bathroom floor getting wet when you use the shower - that is certainly true, but I for one was entranced by a bathroom with dark slate flooring, a waterfall shower with water raining down from the CEILING, and a beautiful and giant white tub.

The little cafe is great and the staff there is remarkable. And the food! I wish I could have another meal there. The food is remarkable. We ordered off of the complementary breakfast menu for one meal, then we came back another day to order off the regular menu. Both meals were absolutely fantastic. So were the cupcakes. And the pear chocolate desserts. And the sweet potato/corn fritters were amazing. My fingers are crossed that the restaurant follows through on emailing me the recipe, since it wasn't in the cookbook that I bought.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jessica A
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Usually when I go to Durban, I end up in one of the hotels by the beach or the convention center. This time many of these places were full, so I took a chance on the Concierge Boutique Bungalows.
What a find!
It's near Morningside, just of the old Argyle Road (Sandile Thusi Rd. now), with easy access to the city center (5 minutes by car) and near the strip of restaurants on Florida Rd. just a block or so away.
The place is quiet, sequestered between two side streets in a compound that shelters several small companies, the Freedom Cafe and the Bungalows. The room I was in was lovely: a big bed, an amazing shower with water emanating from the high ceiling above like a waterfall, a private verandah, a small desk, a tray of tempting snacks (at a small charge) and free wifi.
The place is stylish in a quirky way, with a design scheme centering around dachshunds and the color red. I am not one for the kinds of things, but what it did connote is an attention to detail in all the rooms. There is free parking on site in the gated compound; the gate is open during the day, at night the staff opens and closes it as needed.
The Freedom Cafe where breakfast was and where the staff greets you when you arrive is a fully functioning restaurant for breakfast and lunch and has a clientele from outside the B&B itself. The food is great, prepared with fresh ingredients, and with a healthy edge.
The staff, particularly Primrose, were very helpful and friendly, and I'd come back here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank GreggGonsalves
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for several nights and we loved it. The rooms were impressive. Clean, spacious and cooly decorated. Service and staff we exceptionally helpful. Breakfast and coffee were as good as it gets. The entire experience was perfect and on top of that it was a great value as well. Really, this is the place to stay in Durban.

One thing to be aware of in advance though is that the neighborhood can be a little dodgey at night. Once your on the hotel grounds you won't notice it at all and it really doesn't impact your stay at all, but my wife and I were a little unsure of what we had gotten ourselves into as we drove up to the hotel near dusk. Don't worry though...it is definitely worth it. Just like any other neighborhood in most of South Africa, probably not smart to walk around it at night. Take a cab or rent a car.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Overall, I thought the Concierge was a great value, I paid about $100 USD a night. The Concierge is right off of Florida Rd and about a 30 minute walk to the waterfront. The Concierge was built in 2010, from what the staff told me.

Pros:
-Very good value
-The rooms are clean and well maintained. They look like trailer parks or storage containers from the outside, but inside they are very nicely decorated.
-Staff offered to drop me at airport at discounted fare, which I thought was very courteous

Cons:
-I did not like the shower. There was no shower curtain and the bathroom would become quite wet after a shower
-The breakfast selection is kind of small, but still quite tasty

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Funinthesun2233
San Diego
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is a unique little gem in a funky neighborhood with a great location!
The room decor is stylish and lovely. The food at Freedom cafe is super tasty and creative!! The staff is friendly and attentive!
We weren't that impressed with Durban but very much enjoyed our 3 nights at the Concierge!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple