Abalone Place Luxury Guesthouse
$123
$114
$44
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at this wonderful guesthouse while we were in Durban during the 2010 World Cup. My review is way overdue but my memories of the experience we had are still quite fresh. My husband and I have fond memories of our trip to South Africa and the hospitality we experienced at the Abalone Guesthouse is one of the highlights of our trip. The property is gorgeous, the rooms are each unique with magnificent attention to detail. Our room had a beautiful sitting room and balcony off the front of the house where you could watch the neighborhood monkeys early in the morning. They were quite entertaining! Our hostess provided us with lovely tea each day and local sweets (milk pie?) yummy! She even offered to drive us to our match and arranged pick up as well which went far above and beyond. The service was A+. The details and decor were exquisite. The service was warm and inviting without being overbearing. We felt quite at home and spent a lot of time lounging on the balcony and relaxing in our room. We hope to visit South Africa again in the next year and if we return to Durban, we will be sure to return to the Abalone Guest House. My only regret is that I did not write the review sooner! Stay here and you will NOT be disappointed!

Room Tip: The front room with the gorgeous balcony - if you don't mind a claw foot tub instead of a shower.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lana M
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am so happy to have found this amazing guest house in Glenwood! The rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious, with loads of attention to detail. This is truly a gem and between Sue (owner) and Chloe (manager) they offer the very best in hospitality found in Durban! Sue has even offered to go to the post office for me! Breakfasts are wonderful and served either on the patio overlooking the Durban harbour or inside the dining room. If you are looking for first class accommodation in a beautiful house with stunning views, superb hospitality, great food and all the little extras you would only find in five star establishments, then I would like to strongly recommend Abalone Place!

Room Tip: All the rooms are big with a seperate living area. Room 2 has the best view, but bath only, while the other rooms have bath and shower. If there are rooms open, Sue is happy to let you choose the one you prefer.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ilsev348
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have stayed at Abalone Place a few times now. I have been there on a short vacation with friends and then once or twice while in Durban for business. Centrally located in Durban's Glenwood suburb with a very warm and luxurious home away from home feel. Very well priced for what you get. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated and some have gorgeous views of the Durban harbor. The service is incredible and I always look forward to breakfast at Abalone Place. This is definitely one of my favorite places to stay.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank TshegoTee
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Abalone Place was everything we were looking for and more.
It was in lovely quiet location, our room was gorgeous and we had a wonderful balcony with a stunning view out over the city.
The building is a lovingly-restored old house and immense care taken with colour schemes and furnishings, but as well as been extremely stylish, it is also very comfortable.
Breakfast out on the verandah was a joy and the coffee was delicious, as were the freshly-baked muffins.
I'd recommend this to anyone on a short or long stay in Durban.
A five-minute drive from the restaurants of Helen Joseph Road and just a little further to the buzz of Musgrave and Morningside.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank angolana1234
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I needed to stay in Durban to see friends and was looking for a bit of a treat...I got a suite with a balcony and a view...the staff was warm and went the extra mile...but having my warm croissant's and strawberries for breakfast in a house i pretended i had borrowed for my stay was fabulous and every bit a treat!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo