Botany Bay Lodge
  • Restaurant
$81
$51
  • Breakfast included
The Concierge Boutique Bungalows(Durban)(Great Value!)
$96
$118
Orbitz.com
$135
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbotanical gardenscommunal kitchenexcellent hostshome away from homepleasant stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The location of the Botany Bay Lodge in Berea is very good, right next to the Botanical garden.
The rooms are large and comfortable. The decor of the house and around the pool looks a bit worn.
The Maid is very nice and helpful and she makes a fantastic breakfast! Would directly have taken her with me.
The owner is strange just like her dogs, but she shows up when you need her. The fact that you have to make a deposit via bank transfer is difficult for foreigners and should changed to contemporary credit card system.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
DurbanBotany, Owner at Botany Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear your stay was comfortable and you found the service great.

While we realize we cannot be everything to everyone all of the time and we do respect our guests' privacy.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had a great experience staying at Botany Bay Lodge in Room 2 over the nights of 19 and 20 July 2013. Our room was extremely spacious and comfortable and we enjoyed the layout and tasteful informality of the Lodge as a whole. It is very conveniently situated for exploring Durban and its attractions. The kitchen is fully equipped and spacious and the pool area is nicely private and inviting. We will most certainly return as its vibe and accommodation thoroughly suit us, as does its convenient location. We were greeted and dealt with in a wonderfully friendly way by the owners, Stacy and Wayne. We had total privacy when we needed it. We are a laid-back couple but can be demanding if the need arises. There was no need for that at all at Botany Bay Lodge ! We look forward to returning there when next we need accommodation in Durban.

Room Tip: Room 2 is the best room, I think
Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in December 2012. Overall, the stay was comfortable, but it's the service that is missing in this place. I felt like I was more in a self catering lodge than a bed and breakfast place - for example, no staff was available when I arrived, rather I received instructions on phone on how to get to my room. On all days, I felt as if I was served breakfast more as an obligation - I had to ask for extra toast, coffee, etc. Eventually, I got what I wanted, but got this un-welcome feeling at all times.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
BotanyBayLodge, Owner at Botany Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you for your review. Apologies for the impression that service was lacking. We do provide breakfast order forms, which are left in the rooms for guests to fill out. This allows us to serve breakfast at the guests' convenience. These were, however, not filled out by this guest so, yes, we did have to wait for the guest to arrive at the breakfast table and we had to ask what he wanted for breakfast. Breakfast is served with pleasure and by no means as an obligation. Having to ask for more toast or coffee is quite a normal way of communicating what is wanted.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the Botany Bay Lodge for two months (August/September) and it really was like a "home" for us. It's a small but very nice place just opposite the entrance of the Botanic Gardens, very green. The rooms are big and nicely decorated, with nice and clean bathrooms, and the pool area is beautiful, a nice place to relax! The owners as well as the staff are very friendly and helped us whenever we had a question.

Many thanks to Stacy, Wayne, Lily and Constance who made our stay a really memorable one! Whenever I will be back in Durban sometime in the future, I will definitely come and visit you :-)

Greetings from a cold and rainy Germany (I miss South Africa!),
Nadine

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
BotanyBayLodge, Owner at Botany Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you loved you stay at Botany Bay Lodge and it gives us pleasure to know that we lived up to your expectations and that you felt at home here. We hoped you saw Durban for the beautiful sunny place that it is and we would welcome you back one day.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I really enjoy the stay at Botany Bay Lodge.

What really convinced me:
• Well equipped kitchen
• Centrally located
• Safe area
• Good price performance ratio

I can recommend this lodge to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sina B
BotanyBayLodge, Owner at Botany Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

It was wonderful to have had such lively, joyous guests and we're pleased that you experienced all that we say we are.