Tekweni Backpackers Hostel
$123
$114
$44
  • Beachfront
All reviewsflorida roadbraai nightsbars and restaurantscommunal areasawesome placestayed one nightnight lifewithin walking distancesecure parkingenjoyed my stayhome away from homemattressesradshannonkeysdurbssafety
Reviewed August 12, 2013

THE party spot in Durban. Fantastic staff full of local knowledge, friendly and helpful. Great location, close to all amenities and a short bus ride into town. I have stayed here several times over the years and It has never failed to meet expectations. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank sarahsmye
Tekwenibackpack, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Aaaah. You are making us blush. We were starting to get a complex from some of the other peeps that don't get us. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The staff is clueless and hasn’t got any clue of the tourism business, the rooms are dirty and and and.. thought it’s a good and cheap alternative but it’s not worth it the money. But if you are looking for a cheap brothel this is definitely the place to be! (Even the staff sleeps with any costumer and get drunk or takes drugs every night)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Elidith D
Tekwenibackpack, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Ouch. Very sorry you didn't enjoy our place. It really looks like you caught us on a bad night. I will check into the night you stayed and see what the problem was. Possibly we are not your cup of tea but I will check into it.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Thanks Tekweni and Crew... Having driven up from the Wild Coast to attend the Indaba Tourism show, I was well taken care of by all the friendly staff. We were upgraded too at the last minute, and had a whole upstairs self-contained flat to ourselves. It was clean, bright, and attended to daily by a friendly lady who helped clean for us. We even had the excitement of a monkey raid - we get those in the Wild Coast too! I didn't realize there are so many city monkeys!

Thanks for hosting so many people for Indaba and making it a great success. And congrats of 20 years of business!

Neil, Amapondo, Wild Coast

Room Tip: The rooms / apartments across from the main building attached to different parking area are clean, quiet and spacious. Get one if they're available
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Amapondo

Thanks for the great review. We hope to see you guys again soon!

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm here as I type this, and this place is terrible. I've been in tons of hostels/backpackers the last few weeks that were much better for cheaper. I got here, reception had no idea what was going on, 3 different TVs were blasting 3 different channels, and all the guests seemed stoned. I've learned to ignore the hostel partying if it's not my night - but this place is a mess. The kitchen is disgusting, dirty dishes and half empty bottles are everywhere, including common areas. Fridges look like they've never been emptied. I paid 135 rand for a dorm bed, roughly $16 USD - which seems cheap until you compare nearby hostels at 120R that are immaculate and service oriented. Don't waste your time here.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Brian S
Tekwenibackpack, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thanks for reviewing us I think. We do make it very clear that we are a festive "party" hostel. Many of your comments are clearly not cool from our side. Sorry about that as it is not the norm but possibly you came to the wrong place for what you wanted in a hostel. I see you also "slated us" on the WWW using our free wireless.

Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Actually stayed there in 2011. Best guesthouse we stayed in when in durban. Vibrating place, safe neighbourhood, pooltable, pool, friendly staff, close to some good restaurants, ... would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2012

Thanks for your great write up! Hope to see you back at some point.