“Needs something”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My family and I were treated to a celebration at Joops. We had visited twice before over the years. It tends to be a little out of our price range. It is owned and operated by a couple who have been at it for many years and Joops is something of an institution in the city. And perhaps that is where the difficulty lies. There is considerable hype about the meat, the personal attention and cooking of the steak by the owner, but really, the meal was nothing spectacular. Maybe I was put off by the bossy nature of the owner and the fact that she would not allow my host to enjoy his own bottle of wine despite offering to pay a corkage fee. Fair enough it is her place and she makes the rules. She was, she told the table, prepared to make an exception if the bottle of wine was French! Service was not great and there was a problem with one order for which my host was not charged. Frankly, considering the huge number of alternatives in Durban, I am surprised Joops is still going. The food was at best average. I certainly would never go back.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I were in Durban for 7 days for a conference. We have eaten at many well-known steak houses here in the US, and lived in Texas for 7 years, but our first experience with Joop's fillets was so outstanding that we immediately booked again for our last night in Durban. The locale and the ambiance are rather underwhelming, but I have found that to be the case in many stellar steak houses. People go there over and over for the MEAT. And this meat was truly excellent. Our first trip I ordered the Garlic Fillet Med Rare, and it was cooked perfectly; my husband got the Steak Hollandse (Dutch-style) also Med Rare and love it as well. "Mrs. Joop" saw that we came in with many packages as we had just walked over from shopping on Florida Road, and offered to store them in the office while we dined, so we were not crowded. This was much appreciated. After completing our meal, wine (excellent pinotage) and desserts, she asked where we were staying. When we told her we were on the ocean-front, she even called us a cab while we finished our coffees. Altogether an extraordinary, unexpected treat (twice!).

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Been there for a birthday party. We ordered the steaks medium/rare and they arrived WELL DONE! This is now the 3rd time and we will NOT go back. PLUS - they were not satisfied with the tip and asked why...

4  Thank Trouble1312
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have been frequenting Joop's Place for quite a few years and never been disappointed. Is it because Joop knows his meat so well or is it because he cooks every steak himself - you be the judge. But whatever it is you can never go wrong especially is his pan fried steaks.

On our last visit I thought I would put his lamb cooking skills to the test and order his rack of lamb. Take a tip from me, if you are a rack of lamb fan go for it - I found found very few that compare!

Well done Joop - see you soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was at this restaurant two weeks ago. I had a 300 gram fillet (rare) and my friend had a rump steak also 300 gram. Food was awesome as usual, cooked personally by the owner himself in full view of the guests. For those who have never been to Joop's before, the kitchen is contained within glass windows and is as clean and efficient as a whistle.
I have eaten at this steak restaurant many times (probably more than 50) over the last 20 years, always, good, clean, efficient, consistent. In my opinion, definitely the best steak restaurant in Durban.