“Excellent Food, questionable service.”
Review of Daruma

Daruma
Ranked #38 of 609 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
DURBAN
“Excellent Food, questionable service.”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I had a dinner here with someone. Our friends recommended it.
Although the food was very good, the service was slow and inattentive.
It’s very hot at the tables, but seeing your food cooked fresh is a treat.
Fortunately, the person I was with was excellent company, so the 1 hour wait for food was slightly over-looked.

• Visited November 2013

• Turkish first
Blantyre, Blantyre, Malawi
“Tasty Japanese”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I dined at Daruma with my husband on Christmas Day, 2013 whilst traveling in Durban. I was a bit wary of this place as it is attached to the Tsogo Sun Elangeni Hotel and in my experience, restaurants inside hotels are not always great. However, my expectations were greatly surpassed upon arriving at Daruma. The layout of the restaurant is very pleasing to the eye and offers diners the opportunity to sit at either a Teppanaki table with a chef cooking food in front of you or at a regular table. The menu has a large selection of Japanese dishes including various types tempura, yakitori, teppanaki, sushi and udon. My husband and I shared a mixed tempura platter of seafood and vegetables as a starter and had beef fillet and seared tuna teppanaki respectively for our main course. The portions were generous and our beef and fish were cooked according to how we ordered them. Our server was attentive and efficient despite the restaurant being completely full on that evening. The meal was not budget-friendly but not exorbitantly-priced either.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mary_Kassam
Melbourne, Australia
“teppanyaki”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Went there for christmas eve dinner with some friends for their teppanyaki.
The chefs doing the teppanyaki were very friendly, food preparation were ok. We mostly chose their set teppanyaki menu choices. The taste of the food are catered for the Sth. African tastebuds. The service were excelent, the decor is nice & the seating arrangements were generously spaced. A good selection on their wine list, but we mostly drank warm sake. Worth the trip, if going with a group of friends.

Durban, South Africa
“A little more authentic would be nice!”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had date night recently, so off to Daruma we went. As a general sushi, noodle and stir fry Restuarant the food was very nice. But we were hoping for something more authentic that explored real Japanese cuisine. On this front we were dissapointed. However the service, ambience and food was very good. We sat at the chef's table which allowed us to watch our food being prepared and cooked right in front of us. It was like watching food theatre! Will definitely keep Daruma on my list of restaurants we will frequent.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Rex S
Goa
“Durban, Japan”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The food and service at this restaurant was exceptional. The concept of sitting around the chef and eating was nice and there was some really good cooking on display by the chefs.
The sushi ( not tried) was extremely popular so that itself says a lot about the cuisine. The other thing that I noticed all 3 times that I ate here was that the restaurant was frequent by Japanese families. Nothing can be a stronger review than that.

Visited November 2013