“Good Location - Hotel not perfect but has major attributes”
Review of Belaire Suites

Belaire Suites
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Durban
clevedon
“Good Location - Hotel not perfect but has major attributes”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was my second time of staying at this hotel for a trade fair. Yes there are a few niggling things, like why do the receptionists always sit below the counter and rarely get up and greet you at the same eye level over the counter??

The rooms are large and have the facilities but due to its older design they are a little dark and could do with freshening up as despite it being in the "art deco" style? that doesn't mean it cannot be contemporary in its refurbishment schedules.

The staff overall are very good and the breakfast is very good,

One of the main reasons I stay here is for their restaurant ! - absolutely great - food, service and wine! I had many meetings there in the evening and had plenty of people coming from luxury five star hotels just to eat and socialise here - well worth using if you stay here.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view you need to ask for a high floor at the front of the hotel or a corner room o...
1 Thank CliveB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The rooms were not good and did not feel clean. The food in the restaurant was great and was better than the hotel.
Staff did not make eye contact. chairs at the front desk must go. they don't get up to assist you!

1 Thank laubk
Sacramento
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is my second visit to the Belaire Suites and perhaps the room assigned to me was much more agreeable. The last time round I had an interleading door between my room and the one next door and I could hear every squeak, murmur and moan. This time, however, I was more fortunate and I enjoyed my stay. I recommend that a prospective diner should first try the smallish restaurant on the ground floor. Some enjoyable dishes are served there and the coffee is fantastic! Breakfast is as good (to me) as it gets; one is able to stock one's inner reserves for the rest of the day. The view from my room (9th floor) over the sea was magnificent! Some fast food outlets are a short stroll from the hotel but beware the pan-handling; and the approach by these beggars is downright threatening. Still, I found the staff of the hotel very, very friendly and helpful. To be honest, I don't think I need to find another hotel in Durban; this one is just dandy!

Room Tip: Obviously, ask for room on a higher floor to get a good view of the sea and the beach front.
2 Thank Jo N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights recently. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was large and well equipped, but not modern and not finished to a high standard. Views over the sea front were...grim. No free wifi, but the cost of hourly access was fairly reasonable. The breakfast was very good. Personally I found the area very questionable. We didn't feel safe walking more than one block from the hotel and took taxi's everywhere. Durban in general was very run down, and the hotel was trying to be the best it could in what is, quite honestly, an unpleasant area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shoegal1
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel is clean, the breakfast very good and the staff helpful. Special thanks to Therry from reception who went out of his way - very helpful and professional! I stayed in 2 different rooms - the 2 bedroom apartment (where I must say the 2nd bedroom has quite small beds and don`t fit 2 adults) and a normal double bedroom apartment which was very nice.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor will give you a great view!
1 Thank Maren-Maus
Nieu-Bethesda, South Africa
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The hotel was great and we really felt welcome on arrival. I asked for a room on the top floor which we did get. The only rooms available was the disable rooms which I did not mind as I know they normally have spacious bathrooms. That was however not the case and I do actually not know how they can be graded as disable rooms. Our room had a lovely view and the bed and all the amenities was great. We did however complain that the glass top table's two legs were not right and someone come to look. As we did not need to use it the first night we said it was OK if they fix it the next day. It never happened in the time we stayed there. Some of the amenities were filled up but not all. But all in all the hotel can be recommended. Front desk was very helpful. The breakfasts were great with a huge variety to choose from. Dinners I can also recommend in the restaurant. Close to the beach and the view is great. Safe area to walk in the evening to other restaurants too.

Room Tip: I always choose the highest floor not to hear the traffic.
3 Thank Hester S
Robertson South Africa
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Belaire Suites was recommended to me for my Indaba trip for its great location, and reasonable rates. I was pleasantly surprised at the great reception (canapes while you wait), warm friendly staff, rooms that was spacious and nicely decorated. The cherry on top was the Jiran restaurant. While the service was a tad bit slow, the food was delicious, well priced and generous portions. The wine prices were also very fair compared to everything else in town that I experienced. Will certainly stay there again next year.

3 Thank Bonita M