“Comfortable luxury in busy Berea”
Review of Coweys Corner

Coweys Corner
Ranked #1 of 7 Berea B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was welcomed by Ethel who showed me around. I liked the fact that I could make a well deserved cup of tea in the kitchen and lie back on a king size bed watching my favourite programmes on DSTV. The bathroom in black in white is stunning and I felt very pampered using the lovely toiletries available. Breakfast was good with a good sized omelette, but I did miss my cup of filtered coffee. Instant does not do it for me, though. I left early with a warm fuzzy feeling around the heart knowing that the next time I need to stay over in Durban, I definitely will stay at Coweys Corner.
Arlene Giliomee
Richards Bay

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 28, 2013

What an awesome stay we had at Cowey's Corner.
Richard and his employees were very friendly and treated us like royalty.
Our rooms were prepared in a timely manner, a tasty breakfast was ready each morning and we had that beautiful house and yard all to ourselves.

I can confidently reccomend this place to anyone and intend to go back myself.

Totally loved it.
Regards Lesego Mathibe

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you soooo much for the great words and for taking the time out to do a review. It really is appreciated and makes quite a difference to our bookings. Shotalot
Richard

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The place looks 200% better in real life than how it looks on the website... All I can say is, next time I go to Durban again, me and my girlfriend will definitely be booking here.

The place feels and looks great, The service superb, the staff friendly.

The owner Rich (full name Richard), I loved him. He feels and sounds like a man you can sit and have drinks with. He knows you are his client and customer but he treats and speaks to you like a person, normal person. Not, yes sir .. no sir... lol.

The rooms - you have an option of a shower or a bath. Very spacious. Clean. Private. Free WI-FI which my friend enjoyed very much.

The breakfast.... I can still taste it now. Very very nice and a wide variety to choose from. Facilities ... number one.

I am not sure, but I think it is not rated. Personally I would give it a 4 star, without question.

Value for money?? ... MOST DEF!!!

It is not located far from Florida ... where Durban happens. we walked 15 - 20 minutes at night, never felt threatened. I would advice a car though... lol.

The only thing I had a tiny problem with is . ..it might be a bit hard to find on your arrival day. You might get lost a bit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Wow thanks for this review, not sure what career you are in (banking i think?), but it should be advertising...shotalot
Richard

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We really enjoyed ourselves, their hospitality is amazing. everything was in order, clean rooms, great food (breakfast), security is tight, perfect location, centralized, close to everything, 5 min from the beach, 8 from Ushaka. I'm definitely going back next time I'm in Durbz.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you very much for your compliments. It really is appreciated, especially after having our first poor review. All the best. Richard

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Coweys Corner is a lovely little guest house. We use it every year and it is like a home away from home. The rooms are quaint and clean, and the owners are very accommodating. It is nearby Florida Rd and the ICC, and walking distance to various shops down the road.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate us, and of course the 5 out of 5. All the best, hope to see you soon. Richard

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Before I booked I looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and people raved. I cannot share the view. I found the place to be quite tired. The basin is so small you cannot brush your teeth. The lock on the door is old. There was no additional latch. Luckily I had locked the door on entry- as some man tried to barge in and then complained that there was someone else in the room... The showerhead was very old and tired and the water pressure intermittent. The cushions on the bed were equally tired and the room had a down duvet - in a city with 30 degree Celsius and 100% humidity. The aircon was right above your head...the curtains did not close properly and the honour bar had run out of bottled water. At breakfast the next morning the fruit was exhausted and the table set so that guests could all dine together like a happy family. The coup de grace was the doors flung open to allow all the humidity to permeate the dining area - I could feel my make up dripping off my face and could not wait to get out of there. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DineFrequently
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thanks for this feedback. It came as a surprise you know... reminded me of my first bad date. Actually my first date.
Well, we have tried where possible to improve on where you have found us wanting. Things like the tired pillows on the bed have been replaced, and incidentally the curtains as well...to match. We have added another table so no more happy family. Sorry this should have been done sooner....as for the bottled water supply running empty. Well what can I say.
Some points we feel are unfair though. Down Duvets for instance are not only yummy in winter, but cool in summer. We are 2.8 kms from the ICC and City Centre so probably the most convenient B&B for business and holiday travellers alike, but we only scored 3/5 on location?We are also very reasonably priced...so not sure if 2/5 was a typo?
Regards
Coweys Corner

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Recently 10 friends stayed at Cowey's as part of a sport trip to Durban. Angela effortlessly managed our booking and arrival. Nicci ensured each morning was kicked off with a scrumptious breakfast and the beautifully restored house with Oregon finishes provided for its own charm. The accommodation was (very) clean, comfortable and well located. With aircon's, fans, en-suite bathrooms to every room, safe parking and a great stoep, you'ii probably not find better value in Durban. Cowey's will definitely be seeing more of us on the next trip down!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and comfortable. Choose between twins or queen bed rooms!