“Awesomeness”
Review of Coweys Corner

Coweys Corner
Ranked #1 of 7 Berea B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We really enjoyed ourselves, their hospitality is amazing. everything was in order, clean rooms, great food (breakfast), security is tight, perfect location, centralized, close to everything, 5 min from the beach, 8 from Ushaka. I'm definitely going back next time I'm in Durbz.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you very much for your compliments. It really is appreciated, especially after having our first poor review. All the best. Richard

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Coweys Corner is a lovely little guest house. We use it every year and it is like a home away from home. The rooms are quaint and clean, and the owners are very accommodating. It is nearby Florida Rd and the ICC, and walking distance to various shops down the road.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate us, and of course the 5 out of 5. All the best, hope to see you soon. Richard

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Before I booked I looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and people raved. I cannot share the view. I found the place to be quite tired. The basin is so small you cannot brush your teeth. The lock on the door is old. There was no additional latch. Luckily I had locked the door on entry- as some man tried to barge in and then complained that there was someone else in the room... The showerhead was very old and tired and the water pressure intermittent. The cushions on the bed were equally tired and the room had a down duvet - in a city with 30 degree Celsius and 100% humidity. The aircon was right above your head...the curtains did not close properly and the honour bar had run out of bottled water. At breakfast the next morning the fruit was exhausted and the table set so that guests could all dine together like a happy family. The coup de grace was the doors flung open to allow all the humidity to permeate the dining area - I could feel my make up dripping off my face and could not wait to get out of there. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DineFrequently
RichardMasefield, Owner at Coweys Corner, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thanks for this feedback. It came as a surprise you know... reminded me of my first bad date. Actually my first date.
Well, we have tried where possible to improve on where you have found us wanting. Things like the tired pillows on the bed have been replaced, and incidentally the curtains as well...to match. We have added another table so no more happy family. Sorry this should have been done sooner....as for the bottled water supply running empty. Well what can I say.
Some points we feel are unfair though. Down Duvets for instance are not only yummy in winter, but cool in summer. We are 2.8 kms from the ICC and City Centre so probably the most convenient B&B for business and holiday travellers alike, but we only scored 3/5 on location?We are also very reasonably priced...so not sure if 2/5 was a typo?
Regards
Coweys Corner

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Recently 10 friends stayed at Cowey's as part of a sport trip to Durban. Angela effortlessly managed our booking and arrival. Nicci ensured each morning was kicked off with a scrumptious breakfast and the beautifully restored house with Oregon finishes provided for its own charm. The accommodation was (very) clean, comfortable and well located. With aircon's, fans, en-suite bathrooms to every room, safe parking and a great stoep, you'ii probably not find better value in Durban. Cowey's will definitely be seeing more of us on the next trip down!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and comfortable. Choose between twins or queen bed rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2012

i have stayed at Coweys Corner on a couple of visits from Manchester in the UK. Nothing is ever too much trouble and every need is catered for - like it should be. Staff are friendly and the owners very helpful in assisting make things easier and stress free. A little African gem in the heart of Durban, I wouldnt dream of staying anywhere else!!!

Room Tip: Ive slept in 3 of the 5 rooms - theyre all very comfortable
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I stayed there for a week-end with my family in August after I chose them by chance from the web. I wasn't expecting too much, but they've really got it right in terms of the balance of style, comfort - not without a touch of quirkiness - and laid-back efficiency. Owners are really there for the guests, but both them and their staff seemed to have this knack of disappearing when we needed privacy, and magically appearing when it was appropriate. Convenient situation and price added to our returning twice during our two-month holiday in S.A. We know where we'll be staying when we return to Durban next year!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have stayed at more than 10 B&Bs in Durban in the last couple of years as I have visited for work and holidays, I am from Ireland / UK. I stayed at Cowey's Corner Sept 2011 by chance after a friend recommended it last minute. Cowey's corner is excellent: spotlessly clean, efficient but laid back, well situated. The staff and owner are friendly but not overbearing. We lost our key and they were very gracious about it all. You wont find better for the price they are charging. I've never done a review of a B&B before but because this one doesn't feature in guide books I have, and it is a great find, I thought I'd put this up. Definitely give it a go.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank David B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berea
Hilton Durban
Belaire Suites
#8 of 43 in Durban
The Waterfront Hotel and Spa
Roosfontein Bed and Breakfast

Been to Coweys Corner? Share your experiences!