“Beautiful view with a great restaurant”

The View Boutique Hotel & Spa
Newcastle, South Africa
“Beautiful view with a great restaurant”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is my second time here and as before I am blown away by the hospitality and professionalism, the rooms are spacious and the views down the coast are breath-taking, the staff are all friendly and do not take constructive critisicism personally, the bathrooms are well appointed.
The restaurant (Georgios) produces great food with a touch of class the wine list is well thought out to complement the menu, the highlight for me is the matre-D who runs the restaurant in the week, it is like a well oiled train and nothing is left to chance.
This will be my hotel of choice when ever I visit Durban South or Amanzimtoti.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Beautiful rooms with exquisite views of the ocean. Very friendly and professional staff. The restaurant staff went out of their way to cater for my food allergies. One of the best hotels in South Africa.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 14, 2014

This is my second time here, the first one being for a mere three nights. This time I had a longer, 14 night stay and I must say that I am amazed how beautiful and comfortable this hotel is. From the attentive staff, to the beautiful surroundings (and room), definitely as good as it gets. I had the choice of staying at the Durban Hilton (where I am a long-standing Diamond HHonors), or here. Easy choice -- The View Boutique Hotel every time. I have already decided that whether I come back on business or not, I will make a holiday visit if need be.

Room Tip: I have only stayed on the far end of the hotel, but the rooms there are very quiet and have an outst...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Stadskanaal, Groningen, Netherlands
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The initial drive to the hotel had me doubting my stay here but once i got to the hotel it was all good. The bed was very good, the room well equiped and the bathroom was very good as well with good shower and bath. The hotel is maintained very good and also very clean. The restaurant at the hotel is excellent!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I spent an awesome three night stay at the Hotel. The staff where very friendly and accomodating. The Massages from the ladies in the Spa where very relaxing and professional. We enjoyed the meals in the resturant and I could not fault the room with its beautiful decor and comforts. I would definately love to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed here for a romantic evening whilst touring South Africa visiting relatives.

I wasn't overly impressed by Amanzimtoti itself but that might have been due to the bad weather we were experiencing at the time.

We asked for a table to be set up in our room on the balcony for dinner. This was effortlessly done and we enjoyed three courses on the menu. We live in Italy so it would have been nice to have had a basket of bread to accompany our meal as my starter was very small! As the restaurant is Italian we thought that would have been a nice touch.

Breakfast was superb, lots on offer. I recommend the corn fritters!

I had a detox wrap and a basic facial in the spa. The service was exceptional, I am sad I don't remember the therapists name to recommend her. I didn't get to see much of the spa other than the steam room but it seemed pretty basic from what I did see. I had hoped it would have been open later than advertised (5pm). When I arrived, my therapist informed me it was actually open till 6pm. If I had known I would have booked my treatments later so I could have enjoyed use of the rest of the spa.

Our room was nice but we were expecting a bigger room as we had booked the deluxe suite. It was clean and the bed was comfortable.

I would recommend this hotel as I had an enjoyable stay but there are a couple of touches I think would have made it better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We booked the Honeymoon Suite.

The highly punted spa bath did not work. The faucet (besides having hot and cold outlets switched-around), produced a small trickle of water when put onto hot water (obviously incapable of filling a bath).

This "hot" water was luke warm at best, and within 5 minutes was ice cold. The shell of the spa bath was also broken.

The following morning I reported the hot water problem to reception, but unfortunately it took 2 phone calls and an hour before we could shower eventually.

This really did not make us feel like valued guests.

The faucet on the spa bath still did not work, and was thus unrelated to the geyser problem.

The following aspects in the room were also not befitting of a 5-star hotel room:

1. The mattress is the wrong size for the bed, leaving a 10-15cm gap on either side between the mattress and edge of bed.

2. The door handle for the sliding door leading to the patio is loose and hanging down at an unsightly angle. Surely this had to have been noticed by the staff who prepared the room for our stay, as the door cannot be opened without physically pulling up the loose handle. The fact that this was ignored shows a disappointing lack of attention to detail.

3. Restaurant staff at breakfast was extremely inattentive and casual (again, not befitting of a 5-star establishment).

The room is of the standard of a 3-star Hotel, rather than a 5-star Boutique Hotel.  The delay in attending to the hot water problem (and worse still, the lack of communication regarding this) would not be acceptable for a hotel of ANY star-rating.

An email to the manager Ricci was met with the expected apologies, and the offer of complimentary massages and spa treatments. Unfortunately my emails to try make arrangements to redeem this offer have remained unanswered for 3 months, thus placing sincere doubts on the sincerity of the offer.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank SadiqsSA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amanzimtoti
Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach
African Pride Audacia Manor Boutique Hotel
305 Guest House
305 Guest House
#1 of 26 in Amanzimtoti

Been to The View Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!