“Lazy sunday visit” 3 of 5 bubbles

The View Boutique Hotel & Spa
Durban
“Lazy sunday visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was surprised when i got an immediate booking when i called in the morning of sunday for an appointment on that same day, very friendly staff .The Spa situated inside the hotel needs to upgrade themselves and learn new massage techniques, the therapists should train a little bit more and better their massaging methods.
Lunch on the terrace was interesting and the Spa offers a healthy menu. Overall the environment was nice and quiet and peaceful. A very different sunday afternoon.
Staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views and private balconies.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mandy P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel is in a boring area that literally has nothing nearby! It is better to stay on the North coast of Durban! You have to have a car to get around from this hotel and you are forced to eat at their restaurant as there are no restaurants in the area besides fast food places. The restaurant food is acceptable but not great if you are a foodie or like quality food. The service is friendly but not polished to 5 star at all. There are a lot of stairs at the hotel and no elevator. There is a porter who can carry your bags however. The overall decor is average and the spa was pretty plain in decor too, however, the quality of massage was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a full sea view - our room was supposedly a sea view room but you had to stand i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Grayson99
Johannesburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

I recently stayed at The View and initially received excellent service, but my check out experience was one filled with disgust. I was first of all accused on breaking a window and when I stated that when I arrived back from the beach the window was broken I was accused of lying. I ask Lee, the person accusing me of breaking the window to review the security tapes of the area adjacent to my room I was informed that the person is busy now and that they will phone me - this was the WORST experience of my entire travelling career. Never before have I been accused of not only lying, but also of malicious damage to property, without the institution verifying their facts. This was made even worse when I was handed my bill stating I removed two still waters from the mini bar (upon arrival I drove to the garage to purchase still water as for there was none in the mini bar) . I have travelled all over the world and never before have received such BAD service from a receptionist and then she had the odacity to state she will have to pay for the broken window. I will NOT recommend this facility to anybody if they are concerned about customer service. The general facilities although are excellent , but for honest and client service - stay away !

• Stayed December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank cbez-ananzi
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Fantastic stay at The View all the facilities are excellent and service is first class.The sunrise is certainly worth the early rise.The spa and gym are very well appointed with excellent equipment and treatments great way to start and end the day off.The restaurant and pub serves great food and cocktails within a very relaxing environment. Will be back soon!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank CarlRix
Johannesburg South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at The View whilst on a business trip to the Durban area and highly recommend it, especially for a business traveller.
The location is high on a ridge in a suburb of Amanzimtoti which results in spectacular sea views but is not really suitable for a holiday maker who would like easy access to the beach. Having said that, The View has a beatiful pool deck complete with sun loungers!
My room, 202, was large, had a great bathroom complete with corner spa bath and huge walk in power shower, an extremely comfortable huge four poster bed and a large sliding door which lead to balconey with A VIEW!!
Arriving at The View after a strenuous day and a long drive from Richards Bay I was greated by a very friendly, welcoming and efficient receptionist, my luggage was carried to my room (yes there are some steps) and the air conditioner had thoughtfully been switched on prior to my arrival.
There is good internet access (not free unfortunately) and desk space for those who need to do some work. Complimentary tea, coffee and sherry are provided and there is a mini bar with an adequate selection of drinks and snacks.
I did not have dinner at the on site restaurant but found the breakfast to be excellent with an unusually wide choice of food (try the French toast with bacon and maple syrup - yummy).
I found all staff that I came into contact with to be very friendly and helpful.
My only complaint would be that the toiletries provided are not in individual bottles or sachets but come in quite large dispensers with a "please do not remove" note on the label. I am not comfortable sharing toiletries with previous guests. Not a major problem as I used my own anyway.
I will definitely return to The View on my next trip.

Room Tip: Room 202 - It is large, has a great bathroom, is upstairs with a balconey, wonderful view and I felt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Umkomaas, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I had the opportunity of staying at the honeymoon suite of this wonderful establishment. This is one the best places we've ever stayed at. Excellent rooms, with all the bells and whistles one would expect of a 5-star honeymoon suit. Breath-taking sea-views and warm, friendly staff add to an outstanding experience. A true 5-star quality restaurant with a nice menu completed our stay. I would definitely go back!
-Rainer

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

For my wife's birthday this year I booked us in at The View and it turned out to be the best decision that I could have made. Upon arrival we were made to feel welcome and the friendly staff were on hand throughout our stay to pamper and look after us. Our room was beautiful with a massive and comfortable bed (we slept so well in that bed - wish we could have taken it home!) and a balcony with a breathtaking view of the Indian Ocean and the local swimming beach, which was just a short drive away. We enjoyed the deep jacuzzi in the room and spent hours relaxing in the warm bubbly water. Bliss! The dining at Giorgio's restaurant was top class. The service was excellent and professional and my fillet steak was prepared exactly as I like it and my wife loved her fresh fish. The desert was something special! We have dined in many restaurants in South Africa and in Sydney, Auckland and Queenstown (New Zealand) and the quality of this restaurant is as good as you will find at any of these destinations. I am not surprised at all that it is a multi award-winning restaurant. We enjoyed the couples massage treatment at The View's Spa and once again found first class and friendly service to be the norm. The beauticians treated us to such a wonderfully relaxing and revitalising experience and we returned to our room feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. We left The View with only one regret - that we didn't stay for longer! We will definitely be back and I have recommended The View to friends and family and would highly recommend this destination to anyone wanting a 5 Star experience.

Room Tip: I recommend the Honeymoon Suite.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amanzimtoti
Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach
#1 of 25 in Amanzimtoti
The Sandcastle Guesthouse
The Sandcastle Guesthouse
#15 of 25 in Amanzimtoti

Been to The View Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!