“Bon Hotel Riviera On Vaal”

BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vereeniging
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Beautiful location and stunning hotel.

Rooms are not representative of the pictures on the site.

Restaurant served very poor quality food and was severely under staffed.

Room service was appalling and no breakfast was delivered to us even though we had given a order through.

Pitty that such a great looking hotel is not up to the standards it should be.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Dimitris V
BON-RivieraOnVaal, Acting General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for your time taken to review your stay and assist us to improve our product and service. Our hotel is transforming, and it is with deep regret that your experience was disappointing. I trust that should we have the pleasure of your return visit that you may experience a service improvement in keeping with your expectation and our beautiful location.

There are newer reviews for BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Without a doubt, Riviera on Vaal occupies prime real estate on the Vaal river and offers spectacular views of the river no matter which room one stays in. Nothing beats the serenity that descends upon you when you wake up to a gorgeous sunrise over the Vaal river. Add to it the fact that it is just under an hour's drive from Sandton and one start's seeing the potential of this property of being a favoured family getaway for all.

But I guess that's where the positives end... at least that is where the positives ended for me and my family. I say it because of the following:

a) While the room was clean and offered great views overlooking the river, we found the little niceties one would associate with a "4 star" property missing from our room. The bathroom for one was tiny and the fixtures were old and worn. The decor and furnishings of the room weren't plush at all and were more befitting a 3 star property rather a a R2000 per night 4 star room.

b) For want of a better word, I would say the dinner buffet at Matthews was a "rip-off". For R 180 per person, one would expect a lavish spread but what was offered was quite the contrary. Both my wife and I had to send back the stir fried noodles that we ordered because the chef kept adding too much soya sauce. In fact, in spite having paid R 500 (inclusive of drinks) for the dinner on 18th, both my wife and I left the restaurant hungry and actually ended up ordering room service. We were actually surprised that the dinner buffet wasn't part of the room rate given that the hotel doesn't offer a la carte food options. I think it is kind of unfair to expect hotel guests to cough up R 180 per person for a dinner buffet spread especially when you are out in the stix and have no other alternatives to eat (unless you intend on driving to the Three Rivers area for a bite)

c) While the staff was quite helpful, they were only so when we managed to get hold of them. Our cocktails at Matthew's took ages to come (okay, it about 45 minutes) and we found the pool side service to be excruciatingly slow.

All in all, having spent close to R 5000 for a 2 night stay at the property, we didn't find the experience to be "value for money" and came back home feeling a little disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms have a river view.. We stayed in 316 which had a great view and was quiet enough for our 4...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank anshuman_ghosh_916
BON-RivieraOnVaal, Acting General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for your valued review. BON Hotel Riviera On Vaal has recently been given a new lease on life as of mid April. A special destination it is, where we aim for the outcome of all our guests' stays to be 'Good feeling'. I do sincerely regret your unsatisfactory experience and assure you that all your perceptions are heeded. I believe that better value is already available, and as we transform the essentials of service too, BON Hotel Riviera On Vaal will make itself worthy of a return visit. I trust that we may someday soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stopped, for the first time, at Riviera - had driven by for months. It was a gorgeous afternoon and we were eager to check out the setting of the outdoor terrace; we had seen pictures but also read the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. It was lovely! Even on a Saturday afternoon, it wasn't overly crowded. We picked a great table under a large umbrella overlooking the pool area and gorgeous views of the river. Andisa, who was the star of the day quickly attended to us to take our drinks order, and told us about the facilities of the hotel and the boat on the river. Another young server delivered our drinks and food, but Andisa continued to check back to make sure we were enjoying ourselves, had everything we needed, etc., etc. She was a gem! We'll definitely be back on another stunning day. The buffet looked good - so might try that as well. A first of several trips to the Riviera I think!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank africanaddict

Thank you for your adventurous stop and stay. We are most appreciative of your lovely and most encouraging feedback, and have shared this with Andisa. We look forward to welcoming you back and have you share in more of the charm on offer at BON Hotel Riviera On Vaal.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

On the 22nd of February 2014 I booked a table for 25 guests to have lunch on the Terrace. Upon our arrival it started raining so we have been moved inside. We had a choice of ordering from the menu or the buffet, and was sort of forced to go with the buffet option at R160 pp due to the size of our party, which was not a problem for us. Most guests arrived around 14:30 only, and after dishing up starters, the staff started packing away the food from the buffet area. After inquiring about it we have been told that Buffet closes at 15:00. After complaining the manager then took additional orders for food, but it was so rushed as if they just wanted to get rid of us. This was for a birthday party and overall just a bad experience for us all. None of us will ever return to this venue. 1 person did indeed order from the menu and when asked for a doggy bag we got frowned upon and the food was brought to us in a piece of foil. Unacceptable for a 4 star venue!

Room Tip: we did not sleep over
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SuperBarney
Rivieraonvaal, Operations Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I do regret our oversight in respect of your guests who had arrived later than the initial group, and who had not yet finished eating. In an attempt to rectify this we took orders for those guests who had been overlooked. We were concerned about these guests being kept waiting, as well as the majority of the group who had already had their main meal. We apologise for this action being experienced as unwelcoming or rushed

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was our hotel of choice as a stop over on our Kruger Park trips from Cape Town.
We've stayed here on two occasions so far and both were a disaster as far as service around the deck and pool area were concerned.
The last stay, and it will be the last, was a complete joke. After driving the long journey up from Cape Town all I wanted to do was jump in the pool. The last 4 hours of the trip I was visualising myself beside the pool with a cold beer in hand.
We finally made it to the reception desk and checked in, asked the clerk the rhetorical question how the pool was, she said it was gorgeous. We went up to to our room and I pulled the curtains open and stared down at a neon green pool. So the swim was out the question. We then tried to at least get a cold beer on the deck. After about 40 mins and 3 waiters later I gave up on that too.
They ripped us around R1500 for the night's stay. If they gave a refund or discount I may have let them off, but to this date nothing has happened.
From now on we'll be staying in a local B&B...R1500 is way too much for that place.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I thank you for choosing Riviera on Vaal for your stop over between Cape Town and Kruger Park. I regret that upon your visit our pool was not the sparkling blue as per previous visits.
The failure of our pool system certainly did prove to be most embarrassing for us. The delayed service is inexplicable and I am most troubled that this occurred in the first instance, and that we did not set it right on the day. These do blemish the reputation of our normally beautiful Riviera on Vaal pool experience.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Hotel has a lovely setting right on the Vaal, which makes for spectacular views and serene sounds. The staff are friendly albeit slightly slow.

Rooms are large but very old. Bathrooms require some work especially the bath tubs and shower area.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Riaz P
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Mr. Ali, I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback with regards to your recent stay at our hotel. Your points have been noted. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Riviera on Vaal Hotel & Country Club in the near future’

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is the second time I visited Riviera on the Vaal during my business trip to Vereeining in february. The hotel is getting old but the service is good although not perfect. Rooms were not so clean this time. The cleaning person forgot an old dust cloth and an old underwear in the bathroom behind the door. Although I warned the reception they didnot take care the first time. I had to warn them the second day and showed them myself. I had a standart room this time. It was normal as I expected. In the first try they gave me a room without the safe deposit box. Then they changed it against my complaint. The minibar was empty with only two complimentary water bottles. The TV´s are small and of all style. One of the worst things is the Internet. There is no free internet and they charge 195 Rands per day which is very high. They have a desktop computer that is open to everyone in the lobby. The internet on that computer is free.
I complained about this to the general manager and he said they are working on that. I will be back there in 6 months to check.
Breakfast is satisfying wíth the beautiful outside launge by the pool. It was not great but satisfactory. One day I had a guest and they charged me 155 Rand for the breakfast which was too high for the quality. 100 rands was the real worth price for me. Another point was the open buffet. They have open buffet breakfast when the hotel was full and a la carte breakfast when the hotel was empty. Then you cannot figure out the days when there is open buffet. I knew that the quality of the meals were not good so I didnot try this time. Although there are 2 restaurants listed at the hotel, the second one was closed. It was closed 6 months ago as well.
I was going to spend 9 days at this hotel but they said the weekend was full because of some conference. At the end they couldnot arrange a room and I had to go to Jo´burg to spend the weekend. The hotel has a great golf course and a beautiful view of the Vaal River, from the rooms. These are the only two attractive points of this hotel. It is difficult to make a massage arrangement at the spa especially thru the end of the week. Massage quality is good but they try to shorten it. When I arrived in the afternoon (4.00 pm) , I asked for a massage and they said it was too late to make an appointment. Then I pushed my request and they accepted me in. When I went there I saw that the spa and massage rooms were empty. I asked for an additional 30 minute massage and they refused in the beginning. Then pushing them again they admitted reluctantly.I entered to have a one hour fifteen minute massage and they finished after 40 minutes charging me for the full time. When you get out of the massage, you are relaxed and are not aware of the time. After I went out I realized that the massage was short and got back and complained. They said ok and gave me another massage. These acts were embarrasing. The pool´s blue color was almost green giving you a bad feeling. I told this to the person in charge and he said they will tell the management but nothing changed. It seems they listen to you, take your complaint, say that they will act but donot perform. I had a big problem which the Hotel Manager took control and solved it for me though. Overall this hotel is ok although alittle expensive for the worth.

Room Tip: Must take a room with the Vaal river View
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Mr Kohen,

Thank you for your feedback. I have already taken action on some of your issues discussed with you prior to your departure. On your next stay to South Africa we will make sure that the minibar is stocked for you. {Minibars are only stocked on request}.

I have spoken to the spa manager who will make sure your next visit is memorable. It is our highest priority to provide our guests with an exceptional experience. We look forward to welcoming you to the Riviera on Vaal Hotel & Country Club’’

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vereeniging
Emerald Resort & Casino
#1 of 7 in Vereeniging
Vaalnest Boutique Hotel
Vaalnest Boutique Hotel
#1 of 16 in Vereeniging

Been to BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal? Share your experiences!