“Good hotel on the Vaal”

BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vereeniging
“Good hotel on the Vaal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Hotel has a lovely setting right on the Vaal, which makes for spectacular views and serene sounds. The staff are friendly albeit slightly slow.

Rooms are large but very old. Bathrooms require some work especially the bath tubs and shower area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Riaz P
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Mr. Ali, I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback with regards to your recent stay at our hotel. Your points have been noted. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Riviera on Vaal Hotel & Country Club in the near future’

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Istanbul Province, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is the second time I visited Riviera on the Vaal during my business trip to Vereeining in february. The hotel is getting old but the service is good although not perfect. Rooms were not so clean this time. The cleaning person forgot an old dust cloth and an old underwear in the bathroom behind the door. Although I warned the reception they didnot take care the first time. I had to warn them the second day and showed them myself. I had a standart room this time. It was normal as I expected. In the first try they gave me a room without the safe deposit box. Then they changed it against my complaint. The minibar was empty with only two complimentary water bottles. The TV´s are small and of all style. One of the worst things is the Internet. There is no free internet and they charge 195 Rands per day which is very high. They have a desktop computer that is open to everyone in the lobby. The internet on that computer is free.
I complained about this to the general manager and he said they are working on that. I will be back there in 6 months to check.
Breakfast is satisfying wíth the beautiful outside launge by the pool. It was not great but satisfactory. One day I had a guest and they charged me 155 Rand for the breakfast which was too high for the quality. 100 rands was the real worth price for me. Another point was the open buffet. They have open buffet breakfast when the hotel was full and a la carte breakfast when the hotel was empty. Then you cannot figure out the days when there is open buffet. I knew that the quality of the meals were not good so I didnot try this time. Although there are 2 restaurants listed at the hotel, the second one was closed. It was closed 6 months ago as well.
I was going to spend 9 days at this hotel but they said the weekend was full because of some conference. At the end they couldnot arrange a room and I had to go to Jo´burg to spend the weekend. The hotel has a great golf course and a beautiful view of the Vaal River, from the rooms. These are the only two attractive points of this hotel. It is difficult to make a massage arrangement at the spa especially thru the end of the week. Massage quality is good but they try to shorten it. When I arrived in the afternoon (4.00 pm) , I asked for a massage and they said it was too late to make an appointment. Then I pushed my request and they accepted me in. When I went there I saw that the spa and massage rooms were empty. I asked for an additional 30 minute massage and they refused in the beginning. Then pushing them again they admitted reluctantly.I entered to have a one hour fifteen minute massage and they finished after 40 minutes charging me for the full time. When you get out of the massage, you are relaxed and are not aware of the time. After I went out I realized that the massage was short and got back and complained. They said ok and gave me another massage. These acts were embarrasing. The pool´s blue color was almost green giving you a bad feeling. I told this to the person in charge and he said they will tell the management but nothing changed. It seems they listen to you, take your complaint, say that they will act but donot perform. I had a big problem which the Hotel Manager took control and solved it for me though. Overall this hotel is ok although alittle expensive for the worth.

Room Tip: Must take a room with the Vaal river View
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Mr Kohen,

Thank you for your feedback. I have already taken action on some of your issues discussed with you prior to your departure. On your next stay to South Africa we will make sure that the minibar is stocked for you. {Minibars are only stocked on request}.

I have spoken to the spa manager who will make sure your next visit is memorable. It is our highest priority to provide our guests with an exceptional experience. We look forward to welcoming you to the Riviera on Vaal Hotel & Country Club’’
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our stay at the hotel was for two evenings, a Friday and Saturday. On arrival the staff at reception were efficient and friendly. Although the hotel is older the ambience with the Vaalrivier running right next to the hotel provides a very relaxing atmosphere. We had a luxury family room, however the room wasn't very luxurious. It had the basics, kettle with tea coffee ect. The minibar was empty, except for two water bottles. The bathroom was small, but practical and clean. Although we didn't take our two year old along the weekend, the room would have worked well with the separate lounge area with separate TV. A major disappointment was the small square 15" Tvs in the room. The restaurant area has a nice layout, with little tables overlooking the pool and outside area running out on the River. The food was average and the variety acceptable, although nothing wrong with the presentation of the food - I somehow expected more. We also visited the spa, which wasn't fully equipped with your typical spa facilities (pool and showers) - but the treatment were great and the therapists very professional. Overall the stay was pleasant with beautiful views of the river any time of day, I do think that this hotel is one of the few nice options in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We decided last minute to get out of Johannesburg for the weekend. Booking was made with ease. Arrived security was on the ball and you felt secure on the premises. Setting is as good as you can get. With the rain of the past few months the Vaal River was full, lush green banks and plenty of water activity taking place. We stayed in room 405, corner unit with a separate bed room and lounge. Ample space. Bathrooms are well appointed but smallish as this is an refurbished hotel. Found staff to be helpful and service quick. Buffet for dinner and breakfast was good with plenty of choices. Dinner roasts were out of this world. Tried to book the Spa buy could not get a booking due to our time constraints. Will have to come back for this experience.

All in all a good experience and we will go back. Affordable weekend away !

Room Tip: 405 and other corner units. Well appointed and ample space with great river views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Safari M
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I recently chose to go away for my 50th to the Riviera on the Vaal for 2 nights.

Well it was a disaster from start to finish. We were excited about going away on our own as we rarely get an opportunity as we have a son of 8. The first room we were given was dark and gloomy and the bathroom was pitiful in that it was tiny and there was no separate shower so my husband had to shower in the bath. This was an upgraded room that a friend had organised secretly from Canada for my 50th. How can this be offered at a four-star hotel?

The service was appalling in that we had to get up and call for someone to attend to us. The first night's buffet was an assortment of warmed up food from the day before as it did not look or taste fresh. In fact, I struggled to find something to eat from the buffet and on calling the chef to complain I was told that there weren't many people eating at the restaurant that night so they couldn't make a lot of new things as they would have gone to waste. So on the eve of my 50th I simply had a few pieces of dried out chicken and that was that. I told him he should not have the buffet on such evenings when there will not be enough people eating from it. I was then told that we could have ordered a la carte which I was shocked to hear as in the afternoon on asking a waitress outside what the options were if we didn't want the buffet for dinner, her answer was that there was only the terrace menu to order from (which consists of light snacks). So clearly staff are not aware of what is or is not available at the hotel. And this is a four star hotel? What a joke.

Then the following day it was raining so we decided to have afternoon tea in the lounge. We waited endlessly for someone to serve us and when asking for scones, cake etc we were told that there was nothing available and that there would only be eats available after 5pm as they were busy preparing them for a conference later that day. I have never heard of such a thing in a hotel - let alone a 4-star hotel. Clearly they are only interested in putting effort into large groups like conferences and do not really care about privates who visit the hotel.

I then called the manager who apologised profusely and then scurried off to the kitchen only to return 10 mins later with 2 pieces of cheesecake - but sadly it was the most awful tasting cheesecake I have ever had. It had a margarine taste and was quite vile. We couldn't eat it. We then settled for the small biscuits that are put in the rooms with the tea and coffee.

The breakfasts too were very ordinary and the fresh fruit or pastries didn't look or taste very fresh. All in all a disastrous experience and a sad way to spend a 50th birthday. I could not wait to leave the hotel and feel it was the biggest waste of a few thousand rand. Quite frankly, we should be refunded for the disaster that it was. I will make sure that I tell everyone never to go to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elana R
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Elana R

We do value your time taken to provide feedback on your stay at Riviera on Vaal. We will set to work on improving and eradicating the aspects of your stay which you mentioned. We depend on your feedback, and do apologies for any discomfort experienced.

Travelers are raving about these Vereeniging hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked 3 rooms and there were 5 of us for a different New Year party. Cocktails especially my Pina colada were the 2nd best in the world to date I have tasted. I will go back for more. The rooms although dated were adequate for a 4 star hotel. Bathrooms very small and shower leaked everywhere. Maintenance an issue and quality control.
We booked on the river boat for New year, and that was great fun, meal very good and value for money. I thought there maybe should have been more entertainment on the boat, but at midnight they joined the hotel party for the count down and then we disembarked and joined the hotel party and its live band.
Big disappointment was the Zorgvliet spa attached to the hotel. Service terrible, booked 2 x 1 hour sessions and got a 25 minute massage. Shocking and I will be taking further legal action against them as they still insisted I pay full price although they started 35 mins late.

Room Tip: Rooms dated, we took a suite which was not much different to the standard rooms which had bigger bat...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Mr. Rogers

We do value your time taken to provide feedback on your stay at Riviera on Vaal. We are delighted to hear of the aspects which made your stay enjoyable and will set to work on improving and eradicating those which did not. We depend on your feedback, and do apologise for any discomfort experienced.

As discussed with the Zorgvliet Spa Manager, we would love you and your wife to return to enjoy what is due to you, your voucher will be sent to you shortly.

Kind regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The staff was amazing, rooms clean and service was always with a smile, nothing was ever too much to the staff. The kiddies program was great and kept our kids busy for hours. Great stay overall. Thank you Riviera staff and management. Keep it up :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vereeniging
Emerald Resort & Casino
#1 of 16 in Vereeniging
Ikhamanzi Bed & Breakfast
Ikhamanzi Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 7 in Vereeniging

Been to BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal? Share your experiences!