“Food excellent, seating location awkward”

Mattina's Ristorante Italiano
Reserve with OpenTable
Mattina's Ristorante Italiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 115 Restaurants in Kingman
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
California
“Food excellent, seating location awkward”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I were greeted cordially by the pianist, then the manager asked if we had reservations, to which we replied, "no." We were seated near the front door; in the late afternoon, with the sun setting; bright glare occurred each time the door was opened, which was unnerving. The server was very nice, and the food exceptional; I made a special request and it exceeded my expectations. What I found odd was that the manager never again acknowledged us nor any other patrons, only concentrating on a couple from Alaska that sat in a corner of the front area. This was our most expensive meal on a three-week road trip. I am glad we chose Mattina's; however, because we were so tired from a day of driving, we didn't say anything about where we were seated. The server did understand and remarked that the sun can be bright at that time of day. I would have given this 5 stars except for the unpleasantness of where the manager chose to seat us, and that he never once asked how we were enjoying our meal, a special extra that other restaurants of this ilk do.

Visited May 2014

Fairbanks, Alaska
“A Fantastic Dining Experience !!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The rack of lamb was to die for. The service is very good ,this is the best restaurant in Kingman Arizona !!!! Good piano music also !.

Kingman, Arizona
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The building and atmosphere aren't the greatest I've ever had, but the food is. The building is an old house that has been made into a restaurant, so it has a different feel than most restaurants. BUT THE FOOD....amazing. The Sophia Loren (Chicken Florentine) absolutely will not disappoint (I'm not normally a chicken guy, but I can't believe how good this is). The filet mignon medallions are also absolutely amazing. Be sure to start your meal off with the Calamari Steak appetizer.

I don't think they are open for anything but dinner. So call first to check their hours.

Love, love, love this food! My wife and I have eaten all over the world, and we always compare our food to Mattina's....haven't found any better food.

Eugene
“Best Italian food I've had in years”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Wow! What a find. Everything was perfect here. We arrived on a Wednesday night at 6:45. The genera manager, Jason warned us that he could seat us right away but food would take awhile as a party of 25 had just placed an order. We were not in a hurry so we're not bothered by the wait. We shared a caprese salad and had a glass of wine. Jason continued to be our server and did a fantastic job. I ordered chicken Parmesan which had fantastic flavor. I wasn't able to finish it all and the left overs heated up well the next day. My hubby had the filet medallions. They had excellent flavor and were so tender they could be cut with a butter knife. We also shared a slice of key lime pie. It was light and fluffy with just the right amount of tartness. Our total bill came to $88. I highly recommend Mattina's if you ever find yourself in Kingman AZ.

2 Thank luckyinlove02
uk
“Service with a smile? No chance!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Having read other reviews we felt confident of a nice evening out; unfortunately this was not to be the case.

A warm welcome and a menu that looked authentic enough with a good choice of wines was a promising start. It went downhill from there.

Although the restaurant was not busy we had 3 servers - including the Maître De' but it took quite a while for the red wine to appear. However, this paled into insignificance once the main courses arrived. Mine was luke warm (not even hot in the middle) and when I pointed this out to our server he replied 'oh, so you want it hotter'! 'No', I replied 'I want it hot'. The plate was taken away and returned after about 10 minutes and 'slapped down' in front of me. No apology. I requested a fork, as mine was on the returned plate, and waited several minutes before I was given a Desert fork. I politely pointed out that a dinner fork was required and the server disappeared - never to appear again! I went into the kitchen and asked for a dinner fork. The dish was actually quite tasty but by this time my wife had all but finished her meal.

Throughout the evening no-one apologised for the meal or service - though our server did offer us a complimentary desert - he didn't say why.

i would expect - and get, better service in a fast food cafe but for the best restaurant in town (charging top $ prices) this was disappointing to say the least.

3 Thank VANDICARLTON