“This place was awesome and homey.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Trovatore Motel

El Trovatore Motel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Kingman
Ventura, CA
“This place was awesome and homey.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I just stayed at this hotel for a night after 12 days of staying at various hotels in various states. Not only was the check in a fun experience with Sammy but it was the best night sleep of all! The owners go out of their way to welcome you including small touches lime putting the TV station to a channel she thought my husband would like since we were towing a motorcycle. The rooms had everything you needed and the AC worked very well. Because it is an older hotel the shower floor is a bit worn but the water pressure made up for it. If you like strong
water pressure it was great. All in all we are so glad we stayed there. Thank you Sammy and Monica and congratulations on maintaining a comfortable yet very affordable hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Hermitage, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

After all of the wonderful reviews, my husband and I expected a great experience. We were disappointed. The location along Route 66 was desired, and the history of the motel is interesting.

Our room, unlike others reviewed, was small with stained carpet. When we first opened the door, the first impression was it looked nice, but that lasted for just a few seconds. The bed looked nice, appeared to be clean, and it was comfortable. The TV was an older model, but it worked.

The same cannot be said for the WiFi; neither my husband nor I could use it. The only outlets in the room to charge phones or laptops or use for any reason was in the surge protector behind the mini frig; the mini frig looked as if someone had used it for batting practice it was so dented.

Again, unlike other reviews of other rooms, the Paul Newman room had a bathroom that was so below par that I was afraid to shower, but I did. The tub had a sheet of drywall board on it; it was unusable. The shower area, on the other side of the toilet and small sink, was sunken a bit below floor level; it was dark and grungy. There was no counter space, no outlets, no hair dryer, and the mirror was hung too high to be of use to me.

The worse part of our stay was when I was using the mirror in the bed area to dress, and I felt something on my foot. I looked down, and a large roach was there. Shortly after, we found a large, dead roach in the bathroom near the toilet. My husband and I got out of there as quickly as possible, and we will not be back to see if other rooms seem to have been so much better than the one we stayed in.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank Angela J
Miami, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

This motel is very quaint and historic. It was very clean and lacked no necessity. The owners are very friendly and knowledgable about Route 66, which I enjoyed hearing about. The bathrooms are a little rustic; the shower had no light and was pretty dark. But it was clean and had plenty of hot water! If you're looking for luxury and brand new, probably not the place for you. But if you enjoy historical and vintage places, it's worth a night's stay.

Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We loved the quirky nature of this motel. We had the John Wayne room and it was lovely, clean and well appointed with the original 1930 s bathroom, briliant, The owners were so friendly and well informed. Would not hesitate to stay here again. xx

Room Tip: The character rooms were a real treat, Elvis, John Wayne, Marilyn etc.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect here but was happy with the result. The rooms were clean and well appointed for such an old establishment, and the owners could not be more friendly and helpful. The themed rooms are a nice touch - not often a chap gets to honestly admit to spending a night in Audrey Hepburn....!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The owners are so nice and friendly and really care about Kingman and Route 66 history! And they want to share it with you. The motel is a work in progress. There are things that need updating, but it's still a clean enough place--old grungy not gross dirty. I hope that the updates can be done without losing the charm of the architecture. The bathrooms are really neat! I have severe allergies and the AC and the carpet got me bad, but I am still glad we stayed here. I see a lot of potential in this property and would love to see it when more fixes have been made.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Outdoorsy1
Longview, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

What a great place to stay. This is an old Route 66 hotel that the owners have have put a lot of work into restoring and they've done an excellent job. Our room was clean and quiet.

Our air conditioning unit went out and the owners called the maintenance man at 9 pm to come in and replace the unit. Wow... That's customer service.

If you are looking for the Route 66 experience, a great place to stay, the opportunity to meet a mix of guests and interact with the delightful owners and their cute little dog this would be the place to go.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple