“Sorry, but no”
Review of Hill Top Motel

Hill Top Motel
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Kingman
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Since the Hill Top is a Route 66 institution, I feel really bad about having to give it a bad review, but I have to. Just because it's a "Route 66 institution" doesn't excuse it's problems, and just because it's a Mom-n-Pop doesn't either. (I understand the budget problems of such a place) I stay in old Mom-n-Pop motels as often as possible, so I'm not a hotel snob or unfamiliar with old motels. Keep that in mind when reading my review. I know what I should be getting at a property like this. Also keep in mind that some others review it better because they're all geeked at the "Route 66 experience". I'm looking at it as a straight motel stay, period.

First off, the folks here ARE pretty nice, but it went downhill from there.

The rate was rather high for what I got. It should have been at least $10 less. The room was dated. The A/C could NOT keep up with the heat. (The room was blazing when we entered.) In fact, had it not been for a torrential thunderstorm driving the outside temps down, AND the fact that I always travel with a small fan, the room would have been unbearable. The A/C unit was practically useless, and very, very loud. To be honest, I would have had to ask for another room or refund had the temps not dropped.

We needed some cold water that evening, and nothing but hot would come out of the tap. We ran both the tub and sink faucets for over a half-hour, and still NO cold water. The best we could get was on the high-side of luke warm. Unacceptable.

In the morning, the shower head sprayed in all directions. A missing washer perhaps, but only a 5 minute, 50 cent repair that should have been made before we got there! How did no one notice this before? We had to wrap a washcloth around the showerhead (where it joins the pipe) to keep the water in the tub. The resulting shower was so weak that we passed on washing our hair... it would have taken an hour to rinse it. There's really NO reason that this should have been this way. Where's the maintenance? Take a day and inspect your rooms, go through each one and test that everything works. It'll do wonders for the place.

The towels are small and scratchy, and really should be replaced. (yes, I know, budget, but still...)

Enjoy the pool this year (2012), because the owner told me he's probably shutting it down next year, due to requirements forcing him to install a handicap lift. I can understand that, since they cost about $5000, which I consider an unseasonable amount to expect a small business such as this to bear.

I felt bad that our experience was such here at the Hill Top, almost like a friend letting you down. I can't really recommend the place until maintenance is stepped up. Those A/C units have GOT to go, and please check into why one can't get cold water. (Yeah, I know it's desert and all, but after a half hour, the pipe should have been full of colder water by then.)

It also really could use some updating, and I understand the costs involved, but just some minor, cheaper things would go a long way in making the place more presentable.

If you're the least bit picky, you'll run screaming from this place. If you're a old road dog like me, you'll be disappointed, unless there's better rooms than the three I've seen (and the one I slept in).

Next time I'm in Kingman, I'll check out the remodeled El Travatore across the street, or just give up and take a room in one of the chain motels. That'll be a shame.

Room Tip: I can't stress this enough... check out a room first. Test the shower, test the bed, test the A...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
htm1901, Owner at Hill Top Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

So sorry you had a bad experience. Yes the rooms have undergone some renovations and the shower heads have been tested. But it is hard to get very cold water out of pipes in the summer. They are only a foot or two deep in the ground because the site is bedrock. Very cold water is difficult to find in the Desert, in July. Also, the air conditioners are checked on a daily basis. If any are not working correctly we would change the rooms or refund. Soon we are seeking a grant for changing the heating and cooling and still keep within the historical registry requirements. Generally we are resonable people and will respond accordingly. Thank you for your constructive criticism.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

my best experience with this motel was because of the great communication of the staff. I had some unexpected delay and all problems were solved on phone with no frustration additional fees or attitude which you can find in corporate owned motels.

keep up guys! and thanks for understanding with issue that i had in las vegas.

Room Tip: communicate with workers
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This place could be amazing with a little updating. Most people go to the one accross the road but we came here as that one was closed. Owners very friendly and nice but our room had once been a smoking room and was very old and shabby. The pool was not too clean and the bins were not emptied by the pool for a day or so. Good for a stop for a night, for the price the room was average

Reviewed June 27, 2012

If you're looking for luxury, keep driving!! If you are looking for clean, comfortable, and affordable, stop here. The place could use some updating-a few cosmetic fixes would make a huge difference-and the walls are pretty thin, but for the price, we were pleased with our stay. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank colette424
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Please note that I am rating this property based on the price that I paid for the room, which was $42 a night. If I would have paid any more than that, the rating would be lower.

For the price the room was great. When I used the key (not card) to open the door it was like I stepped into a time machine. Seriously, time stopped at the Hilltop Motel. I am convinced the room looked exactly the way it did when the place opened. This is both a good thing and bad thing. This means that the motif was a bit dated, but the room was very, very clean. The pool was a little dirty, but there was a nice patio to watch 66 from.

For the price I highly recommend it.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Misty K
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was a good, basic choice if you are looking for a trip down Nostalgia Lane....or if you want to feel like you are on set in the above movies. Some unfortunate 70's era carpeting, and they need a few new blankets, but it was clean and had a beautiful view of the mountains. Small pool out front. Owners were friendly, and Cleo the dog was a great addition to the premises.

Don't expect Crabtree and Evelyn in the bath, but if you are looking for an experience for your family, which we were, this is a great stop in Kingman.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Roamingtheworld
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Of all of the places my family and I stayed on our seven-day, cross-country road trip, I was most looking forward to staying at the Hill Top. The sign and property looked so inviting and authentically 50's ... all with a great view, too! When we pulled into Kingman and found the Hill Top, I wasn't a bit disappointed with the place -- the cactus gardens are beautiful, the signage is magnificent, and the owners (and their pup) are extremely helpful and a real delight. When we walked into our very reasonably priced room, however, I was a bit let down. Although the room was large (three queen beds) and had a mini-fridge, it had a definite smell that went beyond the normal musty odor you sometimes get at older motels. This was like an old, smoky odor that only somewhat abated after we opened the door and let the room air out a bit. Also, I always prefer to stay at Mom and Pop places over those yucky chains and understand that they are not always the most up-to-date, but I was disappointed to find that my bedspread had a big cigarette burn in it, the towels were very thin and frayed, and the ancient carpet was almost a dark brown from so many years of use. On the positive side, the room was large and clean, the beds were very comfortable, and there was plenty of hot water for all five of us. So, weighing the pros and cons, would I stay at the Hill Top again? Yes, I think I would. I will always support the Mom and Pops out there, and this place has a lot more pros than cons going for it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family