“Just OK”

Emerald Resort & Casino
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Vanderbijlpark
Reviewed September 15, 2013

we went to stay at the River Resort cottages at Emerald Casino a couple of weeks' ago. We'd picked up one of those deals that gave you accommodation, vouchers for food, the aquadome and the animal park for a low price.
Our feeling was that we were very glad that we'd gone on a deal and not paid full price, as we would then have been very disappointed.

The location is very nice, near the Vaal River with the large safari park providing a feel of being out in the bush (a bit). Our cottage overlooked part of the reserve and we pretty much saw all the animals over the course of our 2 days there.

The cottage itself was comfortable enough, pretty basic and small but still had 2 double bedrooms. The drawback is that there are loads of cottages and they are very close to each other. If you have a noisy neighbor there will be no escape.

Also, on arrival there were no basics there at all - no kitchen cloths, soap, toilet paper etc. We were rather horrified and had to rush to the resort shop - fortunately they realised and sent housekeeping to stock up our cottage. We were quite relieved but still a bit irritated.

The zoo/animal park was a big disappointment too. If you look on the website it really looks incredible. But it is very small, the enclosures are small and there were a number of empty ones. My 5 year old daughter still loved it, but we felt uncomfortable with the zoo atmosphere. The "game drive" would have cost extra, with no discount for kids, plus you had to book in advance of which there had been no mention! So we gave it a miss and were pretty glad we had as I think it would have been a waste of money. We saw most of the animals from the road and our cottage anyway.

The water world thing was our main reason for being there - my daughter loves the water! It was lovely and warm inside (bearing in mind it's winter here, though you wouldn't know it from our daily temperatures) and overall it was nice. My daughter was as happy as could be - lots of shallow areas for her to play in. On our first day the water was pretty cold and all the things had been switched off - the slide was closed, the jacuzzi pool was not operational. Still, we had fun though were a bit disappointed. Also, I didn't feel the place was very clean with the floor being visibly dirty and hair and stuff visible in the water.

But the next day, we went in the morning and the water was very warm and the place was cleaner. Also, someone went and asked them to switch the slide one which made me very happy!

The bathrooms and showers there were not pleasant at all. I would recommend returning to your room/cottage for that. They were not clean (a plaster in the plug of one shower and a chunk of hair in the corner of the other shower!) and the staff were sitting around in there having a chat.

We also ate at the Breeze restaurant as we had vouchers. That was nice enough, food was basic but good if not marvelous! Service was good and the staff were very friendly.

I was very glad we were there out of season as I have a feeling all those "features" would be pretty much unbearably packed full of people. As it was, we had most places to ourselves.

All in all, we had a nice time, a good break from the city and my daughter was delighted with just about everything. Which was what really mattered to us.

Room Tip: ask for a cottage on the left side of the road, as these have more open space around them and a gre...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MargsCarte
There are newer reviews for Emerald Resort & Casino

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at the Emerald Resort during a business trip in May 2013. It was wonderfully relaxing, the rooms were quiet, clean, the internet worked flawlessly, and all the facilities were in good order. Definitely value for money, and I had a hard time not thinking that I was on holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Emerald Resort and Casino is very close to our home and so if we have visitors especially from overseas it is somewhere nice to take them. There is a Safari Park with lots of animals, a Water World for kids, amusements for all ages. Good restaurants from upmarket to fast food. I haven't stayed in the Hotel or Lodges but hear they are quite good.

Room Tip: As I said I live local so have not stayed at the resort.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tom O
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Was in South Africa on business and stayed at the Emerald. The staff was excellent and the breakfast was incredible. Room was clean and very nice. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. As for the restaurants we ate at 2 of the casino restaurants, Breeze and the one inside the casino (can't remember the name, high stakes or something like that). The one in the casino was very good, really enjoyed the food there. Breeze was a mess. All the food was dry and overcooked and the waiter was rude and demanded a certain percentage as a tip from the whole group. Not a great meal, if I was ever in the area again I would still stay at the Emerald and just skip Breeze.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2013

we stayed at this lovely hotel on may 10th and checked out on sat. it was beauitful..balconey room,great view of ocean.great staff..very knowledgeable..i told them i will be back and we are planning to go back next may..well worth the money

Room Tip: book a ocean view you wont be disapointed especially at sunrise
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank monica c
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Arrived here late Monday night to find wrappers under the luxury slipper bath, clearly cleaning was not very thorough the day before.

Day 2 and Day 3, my breakfast room service (my yoghurt) from the Day 2's breakfast is still in my room - charming, outside the fridge. My dinner from Day 2, take away pizza and salad is still in my room.

Day 2 and 3, no cookies or water bottle replaced in my room.

Clearly quality of service is not what I'd recommend this place for.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Perth_za
Reviewed May 7, 2013

we stayed at the bush lodge, was very nice, very clean, spacious, private, rooms were very nice, was truly a bush experience, but 4 star, maybe... I can only imagine what the river lodges might have been lie and that was rated 3 star... the little zoo that Emerald ahs is quite nice. The aquadome to me was dissappoiting... its more for kids and toddlers, so as an adult dont expect too much. The casino is small, the restaurants were nice and there are some fast food options,
cant really see the Vaal dam which we thought we could from the lodges...
There is a really nice pub on the back entrance of the resort which is on the vaal, where we spent the afternoon having drinks there, around 3 to 5km from the resort. All in all it was pretty decent,

Room Tip: definitely chose the bush lodges over the river lodges if you want more upmarket.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vanderbijlpark
BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal
Three Rivers Lodge & Villa Anna Sophia
Aark Guest Lodge
Aark Guest Lodge
#1 of 9 in Vanderbijlpark

Been to Emerald Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!