“Good way to see Soweto”

Usizo Lwenkosi Soweto Tours
Ranked #7 of 12 Tours in Soweto
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We booked a full day tour with Ntombi at Usizo Lwenkosi Soweto Tours. The booking went smoothly. We wanted very much to do a private walking tour with just my wife and I as we wanted to be able to readily interact with local people and have a flexible itinerary. Our guide was King who we had read good things about. He met us promptly at our hotel at 9am. We didn't have a car so all our transport was on local taxi vans (mini bus) - this took us a little by surprise at first but for us was quite a highlight. We got to Soweto around 10am - King guided us around Orlando East (his area) and we were able to see to see how people lived in various accommodations and the history of the area. We felt very comfortable there and people were very friendly and keen for us to understand their situation and simply talk to us. We then went to Orlando West which is a better part of Soweto. Here we saw the Hector Pieterson museum which is very good - allow an hour there however. We then went to Vilikazi Street which is famous for Nelson Mandela's house as well as Bishop Tutu's - there was very good street entertainment and local restaurants, but a bit too touristy for us. After this we caught a taxi bus to the Apartheid Museum and spent an hour here - you really need to spend an afternoon here if you are interested in the history - very impressive. We then returned to our hotel via taxi bus after a very good day getting to know the local people. King was a good guide and equally interested in learning from us as we were in learning from him. He appreciated the respect and interest that we showed and the more engaged you are the more you will get in return.

2  Thank Kaydn215

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I live in Cape Town and have never had the opportunity to visit Soweto, even while in Johannesburg on holiday. I decided that this year I would visit Soweto, December being a quiet time in Johannesburg would allow me to do so at my leisure.

Sadly we arrived at Vilikazi Street with our tour guide barely a week after the passing of Nelson Mandela, people were still coming to pay tribute. While ultimately devastating, the number of people and the myriad of different races gathering, all to mourn the passing of a great South African leader, lent my tour of Soweto a different vibrancy to what I had been expecting. The tour also included visits to the Hector Peterson museum and the Apartheid Museum, their stories all the more poignant for the loss of Nelson Mandela.

While there is a lot of history and the timing of my visit notwithstanding, my tour guide (Ntombi) did her best to show us that Soweto is a place of community and caring amongst it's residents. Soweto also has a rich and vibrant night life, which sometimes filters into the day. Jazz musicians abound and there are a number of 'spots' as the locals call them where you can experience township culture. If jazz is not your thing, there are those who will tell you that Soweto is where kwaito originated from.

Ntombi did take us past the famous Orlando towers that can be seen from far and wide for all their bright colouring and offered to wait while we did a 'scad free fall' which is a kind of bunjee jump. No one took her up on her offer.

All the while the streets are never quiet or still, people all seem to be going somewhere or meeting each other on the street.

I really enjoyed my tour of Soweto thanks to Ntombi and Usizo Lwenkosi Tours.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Soweto and the Apartheid museum itself are amazing. This tour operator on the other hand, not so much. The day of the tour we were assigned a random, hardly qualified local guide by the owner Ntombi. The guide had no clue what she was doing and half of the day was spent with her trying to figure out what buses we needed to take. She was very nice, but the competency was terrible. Extremely unprofessional to conduct tours in this manner. At the end of the tour our guide couldn't even remember the name of the company she was working for that day. Ntombi followed up with me via email a few days later to see how everything went. When I expressed my honest feedback, I got no further replies from her. Definitely go see Soweto and the Apartheid museum. They are extremely worth it. Just do it with a more professionally run touring company.

1  Thank Raj R
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Soweto: The name itself conjures up all sorts of images and most would have heard about terrible atrocities committed in the late 1970's. Soweto is not just one street containing the Nelson Mandela house and touristy markets, it is about history, people and culture. Soweto covers many districts over a wide area. It is impossible to see them all in one day and a walking tour can give you the most important places to visit and walk among the everyday people of this region.
I did this tour with Usizo Lwenkosi Soweto Tours. The walking tour can be as flexible as the customer wants. The one I went with lasted about 7 hours and covered alot of Soweto and it covered history as well as today. The Hector Pieterson museum is not to be missed.

3  Thank Garry C
Reviewed September 10, 2012

When I was reading about the Soweto tours nearly every review was mentioning that it was "different". But what does this mean? It means that Soweto is not only a big slum (what probably most people - including me - expected), it is a real city with touristic attractions. And the main thing that you visit are the touristic attractions instead of shacks. So on one hand we have been a little bit disappointed not to linger around small shacks, but on the other hands we were very happy to see the interesting historic places, learn about the freedom charter and the public programme to build houses etc...

Thanks again to our guide King who did not only introduce us into South African history, but also gave us an insight in his life and so in the life of Soweto.

1  Thank Dr_Ju