“Incredibly fantastic steaks!”

The Butcher Shop & Grill
Ranked #1 of 211 Restaurants in Sandton
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the heart of Sandton, on Nelson Mandela Square, is the flagship Johannesburg branch of The Butcher Shop & Grill: an institution in South African dining. For over 20 years, our unmatchable steakhouse has been as much a part of SA culture as sunshine, red wine and red meat. You could say it is a landmark on the culinary landscape (and we're now in Cape Town and the Middle East). But The Butcher Shop is also about family - and the laughter, memories and conversations shared with special people over great food at a top steakhouse. Our family business, handed down over three generations, is famed for its quality produce, extensive menu, separate butchery & deli and 800 passionate staff globally. In Johannesburg we're able to seat up to 600 guests, plus 22 guests in our exclusive private dining room. In Cape Town, we can accommodate 250 guests, with capacity for an additional 40 guests in our private dining room.
Paris, France
“Incredibly fantastic steaks!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have known this restaurant for years and each time I go to Johannesburg I have no less than 50% of my meals there.

To me the steaks here are the best in the world (I know 108 countries!) far better than the supposedly famous US ones, and they are always cooked to perfection, exactly the way you asked, coming along with a baked potato and divine sour cream. Other dishes such as oysters or fish are very good too, even if for the oysters the restaurants should be careful that the crushed ice on which they are presented is not half melted as it then gets in the oysters...

There is an extensive wine list and some of the managers, especially Patrick, really know what they're talking about. To be noted that there is a selection of some 10 house wines by the bottle or by the glass called Pick's Pick: there are of very good quality and reasonable prices.

It is very difficult to rate the service be it for the managers or for the waiters: some are absolutely charming and helpful whereas others should really and truly look for another type of job.

A couple of areas apart from what I say here above about service that need to be looked into by management are salads which are not at the same level of quality than the rest and deserts which are sometimes a disaster.

Great take-awy shop with vacum packed steaks you can put directly in your suitcase!

• Visited November 2013

• Turkish first
Sunward Park
“Shocking - a rip off”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

A colleague and I took a client to lunch at the Butcher Shop today, we arrived at the restaurant and was shown to a table and asked what we would like to drink. My client said she would like some red wine but did not know much about wines, The waiter Sid he would suggest a nice wine and took our client to the restaurants wine cellar to recommend a wine, which he duly did. We thought the service at that point was excellent. When we received the bill the wine that was chosen was absolutely exorbitant. R1800. You can imagine our shock. We feel we were taken advantage of as the waiter knew we did not know what wine to have. The normal price of a very good wine can be between R200 to R400. The waiter should have advised us of the price before he opened the bottle of wine. We feel let down and will definitely not return or recommend the restaurant to anyone.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Linda K
“Continuous bad experience”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

The waiters are nice people

The kitchen people can't care less with the customers requests
A steak came wrong and was sent back for change. They reserve it after just "fixing it"

I will never go back there and it is a place to avoid

There are so many other good steakhouse in Sandton

Geneva, Switzerland
“Nice restaurant but not the best steak in town!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were a big group going on a dinner at the Butcher Shop & Grill. The place is huuuuuge with tables inside, in the veranda and outside, really massive. The restaurant is really nicely decorated, very traditional; there is a butcher cutting the meat, some kind of butchery shop and they do even have a wine cellar which I visited. All in all, this very nice. However, the food is a little bit of a different story. We had a variety of seafood for starters which were ok then I had a rib-eye for main dish which was not the best for sure. It was not really well cooked or the meat was maybe not the best... i dont know but i didnt enjoy the steak so much.
This place is rather touristy and I would recommend it for the atmosphere but not if you want to try the best steak in town. I'd say that Wombles and The Grillhouse win the contest in that area!

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here several times but I am done now. My slow cooked lamb was soft but extremely fatty. The sauce was horrible and the veggies hard. The restaurant was half empty yet the waiter seemed as if we were in the way. When he took my half full plate away he commented that I shouldn't have eaten so much bread. I am glad I did. There are plenty of excellent restaurants in Johannesburg and this place used to be one. Shame. Not anymore.

Visited October 2013