“Nice enough...”

The Butcher Shop & Grill
Ranked #1 of 236 Restaurants in Sandton
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In the heart of Sandton, on Nelson Mandela Square, is the flagship Johannesburg branch of The Butcher Shop & Grill: an institution in South African dining. For over 20 years, our unmatchable steakhouse has been as much a part of SA culture as sunshine, red wine and red meat. You could say it is a landmark on the culinary landscape (and we're now in Cape Town and the Middle East). But The Butcher Shop is also about family - and the laughter, memories and conversations shared with special people over great food at a top steakhouse. Our family business, handed down over three generations, is famed for its quality produce, extensive menu, separate butchery & deli and 800 passionate staff globally. In Johannesburg we're able to seat up to 600 guests, plus 22 guests in our exclusive private dining room. In Cape Town, we can accommodate 250 guests, with capacity for an additional 40 guests in our private dining room.
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my first dinner in South Africa. It's an eatery for the meat-eaters, with an impressive array of cuts of beef and more exotic meats. There are a few alternatives for the faint-hearted, but you get the impression the waiters aren't going to nod approvingly and say 'excellent choice' if you opt for the grilled chicken. And if you were at all unclear, the row of beef carcasses in the window gives, I think, a fairly clear signal as to what the place is about.

My rump steak was competently executed, but not quite what the introductory text explaining the supreme quality of their extra-matured, exceptionally lean and delicious beef. My dinner companion wolfed down his huge hunk of fillet probably too fast to notice the quality, but he seemed happy enough. He'd been before, and declined any sauce - my garlic mushroom was a small pot of tepid gloop that i pretty much ignoref.

Chips were distressingly hollow - a shadow of the spud they once were - but the baked squash and spinach sides were, again, competent. I finished with an apple and berry crumble that was, for me, a bit of a high spot (I have strong views on crumbles) - and again, his white and dark choc mousses disappeared before they'd had a chance to fight back!

The atmosphere was pleasant, the waiting staff friendly and attentive, and with a bill that rolled in at just over £50 for the two courses and some hefty glasses of house pinotage, pretty good value - except...

...I can't be certain, but it was the second meal I'd had on my first day in town, and the first had been a room-service club sandwich in a reputable hotel. All i know is, something I ate that day gave me a good day and a half of plumbing-centric distress.

Advice? Bring Imodium.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

On sunday afternoon i decided to take my mom out for lunch and have a steak as i have been to other steakhouses in the area.. I heard this big hype about butcher shop and grill so i decided lets give it a try.

once on arrival there are huge group of waiters almost being like vultures trying to get a patron to their section and then seated us looking on to the square. Apon seating the waiter gave us menus which looked extremely tatty as if the leather on it was used since the establishment has been open then looked inside the menu decided that i would try the rib eye steak and my mom the ribs. it took 40mins for my medium steak to arrive.. with no more than 8 chips on the side..

Then had to still request for the winelist which was extremely tacky not to mention that the wine is over priced.. its extreme highway robbery.. no where in the world have i seen such prices.. maybe in France..

requested what the special of the day was.. there was no special ( not that im looking for a cheap option) i didnt want a sauce with my meat i just wanted basting on the side the waiter brought me their steakhouse sauce and the bottle looked like it was cleaned for days. I had to request for condiments on several occasions eventually i stood up to fetch it myself. The waiter or manager did not come and ask how was the meal going at all and it was not busy at all.

The decor looked like it was designed in the 80's plastic clothes and green chairs from the time you bought furniture at Morkels(Furniture store) in the 80's which no longer exists.

I certainly will never ever go there again.

Butcher shop and grill you guys are working on your name.. your establishment better shape up cause their are much better steakhouses in the same area.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Have eaten here maybe 12-14 times now, and can honestly say I have never had a bad meal.
Great wine selection, a lot of the wine is pricey but a visit to the wine room and a chat to Isaac the winemaster will sort out a suitably priced bottle to compliment the meal. This place is always busy but the waiters seem skilled in being around the table for just the right amount of time.
The food/meat never fails, it is very consistent.
Yes, it's commercialised but you know exactly what you are going to get whether entertaining clients or with friends.
If you look for faults you will surely find them but I prefer to enjoy this place for what it is - a very enjoyable experience.

1  Thank andyove
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The edgy and tired hostess Natalie made our party of under 25's feel unwelcome, the plastic tablecloths cheap and the state of the floor next to our table just plain dirty with old wine corks and beer tops covered with a blanket of dust. Our waiter Phiri(?) was fine and for that he was tipped, but what a shame to see what was probably once a beautiful steakhouse into this false image of prosperity, a faux fancy shell that will unfortunately manage to pay the rent and stay busy purely because of its location.

The rare steaks we ordered were a perfect rare, but obviously cooked straight from the fridge, as the centre was still cold. This after serious claims being made in the menu about the superiority of the beef and the 40min waiting time needed to get the meat to room temp before grilling. The salad was hardly inspired, at least it seemed fresh. Unlike our neighboring table, we were lucky to get what we ordered, all at the same time.

Old school has its charm, but get with the program. Egoli is off the air, it's the 7de laan generation; you're not running an old age home, you're hoping to survive while scaring away the biggest retail spenders in the country, in the retail capital of Africa, good luck.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have eaten here several times as it seems to be one of the places to go for steak. While the steak is good, and there is a great selection of bottled wine (though a limited selection of wines by the glass) I feel it doesn't live up to the expectations.

I have eaten at other less expensive steak restaurants in South Africa, that are just as good if not better.