“Pathetic service and incompetant staff”

Faircity Quatermain Hotel
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Sandton
“Pathetic service and incompetant staff”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

After booking the hotel via an online website and paying via CC for a superior double room, my booking was not recorded by the hotel.
Upon arriving at the hotel, and after sending them my confirmation email 4 times, the staff appeared not to know their email address and the email address on teh hotel card was not working, with all my emails bouncing back.
The lady on duty then took a full hour (1hr) to check us in (rather frustrating to say the least).

The following day, upon arriving back at the hotel at 9:30, we were locked out of our room. We then went back to the reception, and was told that we need to downgrade to an inferior room (for no apparent reason, and despite the fact that the hotel was empty and that we had paid in full in advance).
We stress that the hotel did not contact us once, to inform us that there was an issue, despite the hotel having our mobile and email addresses - this in isolation is poor form, as we were taken by surprise by the move.

The receptionists were not obliging, and did not move our luggage or use their discretion, but were instead rather unfriendly and refused to call the duty manager.
Furthermore, the move took over an hour to sort out.

The following day, upon speaking to the duty manager, he promised a solution and communication back to us - I am still awaiting this.

In addition, we are now in a tiny room, despite paying for an upgraded room, and no solution is in sight.

The hotels staff need major training, with respect to customer service, IT systems and general PR skills.

Furthermore, general service in the hotel is pathetic, with no butter being on the tables etc.
We will be hesitant to recommend this hotel to anyone.
The staff need to seriously pull up their socks.
This has been the most embarrassing and frustrating hotel stay ever.

Room Tip: Wait for staff to get training, before visiting this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Jane P, General Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
On Behalf of Jaco Steyn, The General Manager of the Faircity Quatermain:

Dear Mr Dean G,

Please allow me to offer my sincerest apologies for how your parents' whole reservation and consequent room move turned out. As explained to you before, the booking you made was through a 3rd party website that only sends on the reservations to our reservations department, these mails never reached us due to technical difficulties. This resulted in us not having their reservation or room type by time of check in, but I do also apologise that your parents were expected to move rooms. I assure you that we take this matter very seriously and have dealt with all the parties involved. We have done a full refund to your credit card as a token of goodwill, thanks also for your mail reply to us as follows:

“Hi Jaco,
Thanks very much for dealing with the matter at hand.
I appreciate the apology and my folks appreciated the gesture of the gift basket.

Dean G”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed in a suite for 2 nights at a great price (2nd-4th December 2011). The suite is what you would expect from a classy hotel very comfortable and huge in size. Off from the sitting room is a private patio which was great to sit in while you read and just chill. The breakfast was good and served in pleasant surroundings.When it was time to go home and after a 5 hour trip I realised I had left my watch in the room.I phoned the hotel and they found it in the safe I thought I had lost it but was glad to hear that it was found. Because of my experience with this hotel I would go back gladly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
RhysQTM, Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Good Day Richard.

Thank you for the wonderful reply. We feel we have a fantastic team of staff and I am glad that this has shone through for you. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and hope your next stay will be as enjoyable.

Kind regards and Warm wishes.

Faircity Quatermain Team
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I've visited the hotel on 5 occasions this year, staying for a week at a time, and I have absolutely no complaints. The service has been exceptional at all times, and the staff are friendly and always willing to go the extra mile.

In addition to staying at the hotel, we made use of the conference facilities for the week, as well as buffet lunches and dinners. Conference facilities is what is expected of a conference facility, and the lunch & dinner menus were varied daily, and got you going up for seconds.

All in all, possibly the best hotel I've been too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
RhysQTM, Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Good day.

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you are a return visitor. We hope to see you again in the future and that we will continue to provide excellent service to you. Wishing you the very best for the holidays and 2012

Warm regards and best wishes
Faircity Quatermain Team
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I think this hotel can't be beaten in Sandton for it's price and level of service. The location is great, being not too far from anything in Sandton. The rooms are clean, service is great and friendly and the food is good. The provision of free wi-fi was greatly appreciated. The general amenities such as the gym and pool were also very adequate. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends staying in Johannesburg.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
RhysQTM, Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Good day.

I would like to thank you for your kind review. We appreciate feedback from our guests. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the future. Wishing you all the best from the Quatermain Team

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I've been staying here on business for 5 years (not continuously, obviously). I stay for a week or so, about 3 times a year. For a city hotel in this price bracket, this is my favourite hotel anywhere.

Located close enough to Sandton to be close to the action and yet remarkably tranquil. My work takes me out and about all across Jo'burg and returning here at the end of the day is like coming home. Also good food, friendly service, spotlessly clean, free Wi-Fi, spacious rooms, plenty of "public" areas to sit and work/read etc. and a decent gym.

One word of caution though; this hotel polarises people. One or two of my colleagues who've stayed here have found it too quiet and quite claustrophobic. I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. If you're a Marriot type of person and want nothing but a typical business hotel experience, then it's probably not for you. If you like stepping out of your room, breathing fresh air and seeing grass and trees, then it probably is. Personally, I find it a refreshing change to cookie-cutter corporate hotels.

I've not reviewed the Quatermain before because I'm selfish and didn't want to spread the word. However my conscience has got the better of me after 5 years!

Room Tip: Sorry, keeping this to myself!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Oolon_Colluphid
RhysQTM, Guest Relations Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Good day.

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you are one of our regulars.

We appreciate all our regulars and when you are with us next please feel free to ask for me at reception as I like to meet our regulars and introduce myself and the Management of the hotel.

Again thank you kindly

Cape Town
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stay at this hotel on bussiness every month and find the quality of the rooms outstanding and the service from the staff is excellent

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Capetownjulia
RhysQTM, Guest Relations Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Good day.

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate all feed back we receive from our guests. It is very nice to know that you are a return guest and we hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards

Rhys Downard
UK
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I only stayed for one night on business but after getting in late and tired from the flight, this hotel was a pleasant suprise. Not too expensive, nice room, good service with fine food. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Hungry_TravelerUk
RhysQTM, Guest Relations Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Good Day.

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your support and hope to see you again in the future.

Wishing you all the best

Rhys Downard