“Nice Hotel - but in the suburbs”

Faircity Falstaff Hotel
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in the hotel. The staff are very friendly and the inclusive breakfast was lovely with lots of choice. The rooms are of average size and we had free Wi-Fi which was a positive. There is a gym and a great pool area where you can also get a drink. The hotel has excellent security. The rooms are dark especially if you are on the ground floor.

The bathrooms are proficient. It is strange having a liquid soap dispenser in a 5 star boutique hotel. The bathroom is also small. The rooms have a deodoriser smell which is not nice - could be that they need to do this as the windows seem always to be closed. The hotel is more of a business hotel and is not near the shopping area (Sandton or Rosebank). If you stay here you will need a car.
The accommodation is good value - but not luxurious.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EricJ123
FaircityQuatermain, Front Office Manager at Faircity Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your review and your positive comments on the hotel, we are very pleased that you enjoyed our facilities.

We are actually a Four Star Hotel and we use the liquid soap as many of our guests enjoy it. Should you prefer bar soap we do have it availabale at reception. When a room is not occupied we keep the windows closed as a security measure. We have a complimentary shuttle to transfer guests within a 5km radius and we also have the Morningside shopping centre down the road, it is about a 2 minute walk.

You are corrected in saying that we are positioned in the market as a business hotel. The Faircity group has many properties to suit different needs. All you need do is contact us and tell us what you want and we can make a recommendation.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have stayed at the falstaff many times And every time it was excellent.
I stayed once again in feb 2012 and from the time I arrived at the reception, the quality of the service was excellent. I was early however I was able to move into my room within 20 minutes.
Whilst I am there, I have meetings in the lounge area and this works very well as the staff are always on hand to arrange refreshments. The bar is ably managed and well stocked.
The breakfast range is very good and as always, one is able to request any type of egg from the friendly staff.
In my visits over the past 17 years to sandton (Johannesburg) I stayed at a well known chain hotel, however two years ago the falstaff was recommended and I have now stayed there on five different occasions.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank frankhawk
FaircityQuatermain, Front Office Manager at Faircity Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear frankhawk,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our property, we are thrilled to hear that you are one of our regular guests and that you enjoy staying with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed over one night before we took our flight out to the Seychelles. The Staff was great, friendly and helpfull. Before hand I organised roses and bubbly for the room. This was all done by the Falstaff without question. Room service was helpfull and very punctual. Free WI-Fi in the room was also a bonus.
awesome way to start the honeymoon or just to stay over!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andre M
Jane P, Front Office Manager at Faircity Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear AndreM,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I trust that you had a wonderful Honeymoon!
I am very pleased that we helped you get your married life off to a good start and I hope that
for your anniversary one year you will come and stay with us again!

Kindest regards
Jane Patterson On behalf of Faircity Falstaff Management!

Reviewed December 26, 2011

my sister and i stayed here after traveling on the Shongololo Express. our room was very comfortable, and the food and staff were wonderful. the location was very convenient, and we evjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank CanadaFlashpackers

Dear CanadaFlashpackers,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Faircity Falstaff on Tripadvisor! I am very pleased that your room and food were to your liking, should you ever be "flashpacking"in Johannesburg again I hope you will come and visit us!

Warm regards

Reviewed October 13, 2011

We found this hotel stunning, decor, pool, restaurant were all excellent. Our room was beautiful, though rather small. Dining staff were outstanding and the meals beautiful, though for $300 Aud per night this was to be expected. We had booked a tour to Sowetto through the receptionist. Ended up being left in Sowetto for lunch and our driver failed to collect us. A bit unnerving in this area! Nothing much to see locally, a shopping mall within safe walking distance.

Room Tip: balcony a bonus
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 789maria
RhysQTM, Manager at Faircity Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

Good day.

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all reviews from our guests. The Faircity group has many properties to suit different guests need. All you need do is contact us, tell us what you want and we can make a recommendation. We are very glad to here that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards and best wishes from the Faircity Falstaff team

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I feel like I must have stayed at a different hotel than what my fellow reviewers have reported! One of the downsides of booking with a tour is that you don’t know what kind of hotel you’ll get until you get it. After spending a week at a fabulous hotel with high-quality food and spectacular service in Cape Town, I was incredibly disappointed with the Falstaff. The staff were all friendly, and the rooms were nice and quiet with easy-to-reach outlets, which is always a plus, but that’s about all I can say about the Falstaff. If you’re a single business traveler, the Falstaff may be perfect for a one-night stopover, but for long-haul travelers like myself, it just didn’t suffice.

Like all other hotels on the continent that I have stayed at, there is no alarm clock, so make sure you have a travel alarm. There were also no tissues, which I found very unusual and disappointing. The towels were also pretty small and weak, and there was no laundry line in the tub or anywhere really to dry clothes. Like other hotels I’ve experienced on the continent, the shower barrier didn’t do much from keeping the water from leaking all over the bathroom floor, creating puddles.

The worst part, though, was the level of cleanliness. On the surface, the hotel seemed fairly clean, but if you look closely, you’ll see that it’s really not, and the floor was so filthy that the bottoms of my feet turned black after walking around with no shoes on.

The food was equally bad. We arrived late and had dinner in the hotel. The food was OK for dinner, but the breakfast was just awful. There was a small buffet of foods that looked like they had been sitting out for days. I was afraid to eat anything besides the bread from the buffet. There was also a cook making eggs to order, which was a nice touch, although the scrambled eggs were still pretty raw and runny.

I realize that some details are more important than others to different people, but it is paying attention to all of the small details that makes a hotel worth staying at or not, in my opinion. The Falstaff has the appearance of being a nice hotel, but when you examine the details closely, you see that it’s not very good. And worst of all, the cost of the extra night that wasn’t included in our tour could have gotten us a 5-star hotel somewhere else.

Sorry to say, I don’t recommend the Falstaff.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
RhysQTM, Guest Relations Manager at Faircity Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Good day.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our properties and are very concerned. We have put your response forward to the Housekeeping department, Restaurant and the General Manager. We appreciate all feedback from our guests.
kind regards

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Rooms are very clean, fresh and new. Large rooms with large bedwith crisp white bedding. Room service is quick and effortless! Highly recommendable.

• Stayed: August 2011
RhysQTM, Guest Relations Manager at Faircity Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Good day.

Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

Wishing you the best