“Great location and top-notch accommodation....let down by some issues”

Michelangelo Towers
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
london
“Great location and top-notch accommodation....let down by some issues”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The location of the hotel is great, being attached to the mall and 5 mins walk from Nelson Mandela Square. while it is in no way an authentic Joburg experience, the area is great from a security perspective, so it was nice to feel safe wandering around at night, even as a solo female traveller. The room i stayed in was amazing - a totally homely suite, which was nice to have given i was there for a week on business - very comfortable and really big. I used the indoor and outdoor pools during the week, both a bit small, but cant complain as i had them to myself each time!

I would echo what Russell G said about breakfast - one day it took half an hour to get my eggs benedict, despite there being more staff than customers in the restaurant (i was one of only 3 occupied tables). Also the WiFi is somewhat inconsistent, and it dropped on numerous occasions as i was trying to work which was very frustrating. I would also suggest that the hotel change the way it produces its invoices. They split dinner into "Parc Ferme - Dinner", "Park Ferme - Beverages" and "Parc Ferme - Gratuities". This can make it difficult for business travellers when claiming expenses, and may enourage people not to give gratuities. Small thing, but would be worth looking at just giving an overall number for "dinner".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Arabic first
Blantyre, Malawi
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel is excellent for staying a long lease. We stayed in the 2 bedroom self catering suites. Although it was self catering we could still order room service and get all hotel facilities available. We had a maid daily to come clean and turn down our bed. The car service is VERY poor! When the valets take forever to bring down your car.. I remember 2 occasions when I called twice to ask them to bring down the car and twic we went downstairs and no-one had been informed. Also the lifts are quite bad and tend to get jammed a lot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Farriya
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The Towers are really serviced apartments. Spacious and well appointed rooms. Very comfortable.

My only issue was the Parc Ferme restaurant where the service was painfully slow at breakfast. Lots of staff standing around but not paying attention to the guests. The food was very slow - even for very simple dishes.
I would stay there again but I would either find somewhere else for breakfast or wake up earlier!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Russell G
Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I didn't care for the decor in my room but it was fairly spacious and would be a comfortable place to stay for a short term assisgnment. I still feel the hotel and Sandton itself is over-hyped. There seems to be security everywhere and you need your room key to access the different parts of the building and get in and out. Convenient location with the mall in walking distance. Personally had no problems with security and consistently left my Tablet, phone, laptop etc out in the open and nothing was stolen. Initially WiFi wasn't working and throughout my stay continued to give problems

Room Tip: Ask about the views and wifi access.There is quite a bit of construction going on and its not so nic...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

had a very bad stay at this hotel last week, had my phone Stolen, little are no response from management about it also the Internet very is expensive and does not work well, I would not stay there again in fact i moved out to the hotel across the street where the service was much better i wont be staying there again thank god .

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Wesley R
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Very nice room & well appointed hotel, disappointing service.
We were there only one night and had to leave at 6.30am for the airport. We were asked if we would like breakfast baskets as the restaurant wouldn't be open and also would we like an early morning call. We said yes please to both and expected to be awoken at 5.30am. This did not happen. Consequently, we had to rush to reception to settle our bill & collect the promised breakfast baskets. These had not been arranged for us either.
In the rush I left my daily medical tablets on the bedside table & didn't realise until we had reached our next hotel in Mauritius that afternoon. I immediately emailed the Michelangelo Towers from the link on their website asking if the tablets could be sent on. I did not even have the courtesy of a reply and have still not over three weeks later. All that I had was a survey request from them & a request to leave a comment here. So I have.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dirtydebs
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Michelangelo in Johannesburg only one night on a stop between Cape Town and Kruger National Park. It was a quick stay but based on that I can recommend the hotel. It is very well located right on Nelson Mandela Square in the heart of town.
The hotel is a high rise and some of the rooms face the square with a balcony as ours did on the 8th floor. The center of the hotel is a large atrium with views from the floors down into the atrium. There is a nice restaurant on the 1st floor where an good breakfast buffet is served and included in the room price.
The room was large enough with a big bathroom. We had a problem with our adapter and service tried to be helpful. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner as they have a combination product that is low quality.
Most importantly in this city is that security was very evident everywhere and we felt very safe.
We had hoped for an outdoor pool to relax for a bit in the sun but they only have an indoor pool – albeit a nice interesting round one. There is supposedly an outdoor area to sit with Jacuzzi but it was small with artificial grass, 3 loungers with no cushions and the hot tub was covered up. Additionally in a high-rise area it was shaded so unusable. There was a spa but it was closed by 4 pm so we did not tour it.
The hotel is attached to a high-end mall so it is easy to go and shop and feel comfortable doing so.

I would recommend this as a business hotel and not for leisure travelers although it’s fine for the one night most leisure travelers need in transit in South Africa.
For a leisure hotel, I’d choose the Da Vinci Hotel & Suites across the mall owned by the same Legacy Hotel group. Trendy and fun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business