“very good hotel, but the service is....”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Michelangelo On Nelson Mandela Sq Hotel is in an excellent location. Hotel is very lavish and the facilities are first rate. Little trivia fact I discovered that the previous owner was Muammar Gaddafi. The let down was that I have asked the hotel staff several times to take care of issues like (iron-board or shower that floods the bathroom) I had to ask for three times before my request was fulfilled. You'd expect more from a 5 stars hotel. Location is great, safe and many good restaurants on the Mandela square.

Room Tip: elevators are very quiet, therefore rooms close to the elevators are convenient
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank hemi
MTRAPGRM, Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear Trip Adviser User,

It is with regret that we received your review on tripadvisor for the Michelangelo Towers. We have emailed you to get your details so, that we can investigate your complaint and provide full feedback on the outcome of the investigation but have received no response yet.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you had to endure as a result of certain product and service deficiencies you experienced during your stay with us.

I assure you that this is not the level of service we strive so hard towards offering our guests. We have addressed the issues with all the relevant departments and their respective managers and assure you that every effort is being made to address all your concerns.

Thank you again for your comments as it helps us, here at the Michelangelo Towers to improve our service and to offer the best thereof.

William Horner
Rooms Division Manager

There are newer reviews for Michelangelo Towers

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed here for business and pleasure in January 2012 for the second time. The reception staff are courteous and efficient. The communal areas don't do justice to the rooms/ suites in the hotel. The rooms are well decorated and equipped. We had a very spacious room. Hall with toilet. Large dining area, very well equipped kitchen, comfortable lounge. fabulous sized bedroom, with dressing room and a great bathroom with roll top bath,separate shower and toilet cubicle. The furniture in the rooms is of a high quality. Clean crisp bedlinen, comfortable super king sized bed. Lovely soft white towels and robes in the bathroom. The room was well serviced whilst we were there. The breakfast taken in the restaurant downstairs was really good, and service was great (actually seemed like there were too many staff). The hotel is really handy for the shopping mall, and Sandton square which is a hive of activity at night with lots of lovely restaurants serving different types of food to suit every taste. You feel safe here also. We had no problems at all. It's also very handy for Sandton Station which also links you directly to the airport in no time. All in all, a great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank itsgottabehot

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to rate us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Michelangelo Towers.

We appreciate your feedback as it assists us with understanding our guest’s needs and thus allowing us to improve and maintain our service offerings and standards.

We note that your stay with us was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Michelangelo Towers in the not too distant future.

William Horner
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Hotel is very nice, good location. The gym is decent (though a bit outdated). However, the service is terrible -- really bad (and I'm not someone who normally complains about that kind of thing). People are slow to respond to requests (for example, my request for them to fix the A.C. - I had to call 3 times to get someone up to my room), and when I told the cleaning person that the drain in my shower didn't work (such that my shower partially flooded the bathroom...twice), she asked me to call reception to tell them about it. Further, my wake up call was late, and when the front desk agrees to arrange car service for you

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Cheryl H
Reviewed November 11, 2011

the apartments in this hotel a five star, great kitchen / lounge, 2 sumptuous double bedrooms, luxurious!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

We trust your stay with us was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Michelangelo Towers in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

I recently stayed in Johannesburg in September 2011 at this hotel with friends expecting great things for the price we paid. I think we were all sadly misled. Personal butler? Never to be seen. We weren't even shown through our 3 bedroom apartment by ANYONE(!), as is customary for all the hotels I have frequented in the world. It was as if we were given our swipe cards and simply forgotten. Reception was inattentive and at best useless for even minor requests such as arranging a taxi for nearby shopping and dining. I will never stay here again and would advise all to avoid this place like the veritable plague. Customer service is obviously not in this hotel staffs vocabulary.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. It is not of a standard to even rate. I will never go back.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aar0n76
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2011

Dear Sir,

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you had to endure as a result of certain product deficiencies you experienced during your stay with us.

I assure you that this is not the level of service we strive so hard towards offering our guests. In order for us to address the issues with all the relevant departments and their respective managers, please kindly supply us with the last name the booking was made under as currently we are unable to pick up a reservation in September with your first name, Aaron.

Your assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated in order for us to investigate and provide you with feedback.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

There is the Michelangelo Hotel and there is also the Michelango Towers. The towers are more like a Four Seasons...they are apartments that people live in and the others are full apartments rented out as hotel rooms, completely equipped with everything, including all the hotel amenties. I had a one bedroom, 1 1/2 bath apartment. The kitchen was fully equipped, 2 TV's, huge bathroom. There is room service and housekeeping. Irons/boards are not provided, so your things need to be sent out, which is not cheap or convenient. The gym is very, very nice..upstairs with indoor/outdoor pool, spa, etc. The restaurant is very good, with a nice selection on the menu. It is attached to the Sandton Shopping Mall. In a way, good location in that there are restaurants and the mall within easy access. But, it is located in a business, convention center area which is not good for walking around. It is not advised to be out walking around, and there is nothing close by to walk to....its all business, office building area. The restaurants in Nelson Mandela Square are okay, a bit too touristy though. Taxis to go anywhere are pretty expensive, for example, to go to the Apartheid Museum was about $100 roundtrip, and about 25 minutes each way. One night, checking with the concierge, a taxi to Melrose Arch was going to be 250ZAR...going outside and talking to the bellman, it was 120ZAR...huge difference. The staff at the bar and restaurant were very pleasant, however, the desk staff were a bit stuffy.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2011

Reviewed February 21, 2011

What a horrible, terrible, dirty, ugly, old, greedy hotel! And if you think that is bad - their service is worse!

*Uninformed reception - prepaid and then she wanted to charge me, I had to tell her how their system works and that they have online capability to take pre-payment
*Pre-requested Champagne in room, asked receptionist whether all was set when we checked in... she said "it should be" - needless to say it wasn't! I had to ask them to please bring it up... so much for the Valentines surprize element.
*I travel 69 nights away per annum and have yet to pay so much for so little, over R3,000 per night for a small, old, stinky hotel room - fit for anyone who simply doesn't know any better
* You also have to pay for Parking at Sandton city - you need change for it. I receive validated parking tickets where I shop, but not where I stay - crazy actually... then get told by another reception person upon checking out that they as staff has to pay as well - like that makes any difference to the situation.
* Be prepared to pay over R100 for a 1.5l of water
* I had to phone them again the day of check-out as they ended up charging me twice for accommodation, although this was discussed upon check-in

Get this, I received an automated survey via email 1 week later - I completed a feedback form by hand at the hotel!!!!! Not that I received any feedback from their useless staff and General manager, they ruined my Valentines & it cost me an arm and a leg for them to do so… I tried to leave a guestbook comment for them on their direct site, but I understand completely why they would deactivate the hyperlink to result in an error… all their guests would leave horrible messages for them – clever to leave only 2 comments from “happy” guests!

This hotel is a disgrace to their industry and a disgrace to South Africa!

I will continue to stay at the Radisson from now on when residing in a hotel group in SA - Legacy sucks on so many levels!

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelissaStorey
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Dear Ms. Melissa Storey,

It is with regret that we received your review on tripadvisor after you experience at one of our Legacy Properties. We have notified the General Manager at the Michelangelo Hotel.

Please note that your review was posted on the Michelangelo Towers which is a different property from where you stayed on the 13th of February 2011.

We appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that the issues will be dealt with.