If you are looking for a safe and stylish base in busy Johannesburg with service levels that make you think you're in South-East Asia, then the Sandton Sun will not disappoint you. Ideally located in the up-market southern suburb of Sandton, the Sandton Sun is directly connected by internal walkways to both the Sandton Convention Centre and the Sandton Shopping Mall - one of the largest (and most up-market) in South Africa. The hotel also runs a regular shuttle bus connecting with the Gautrain (the main overground/underground rail system which runs from Central Jo'burg out to Pretoria.) Whilst the decor in many of the hotel rooms is beginning to look a bit "tired" the facilities are excellent and include all the usual facilities you would expect plus some you wouldn't (DVD player and MP-3 docking station in the case of my room). Executive check-in for Regular and Elite guests on the 6th floor also houses an excellent Business Centre which has very smart meeting rooms for hire in addition to the regular PC/photocopying and faxing options. The public areas (again on the 6th floor) are large, bright and modern with an excellent bar, lounge and inside breakfast room but the piece de resistance is the San Terrace which combines outdoor deck dining/breakfast with casual drinks areas and the outdoor pool and pool terrace. The layout of the deck seating areas and gardens is excellent and really comes to life and night when the lighting and open firepits plus the (often) live music all combine to make it the perfect "chill-out" location. A "sundowner" on the San Terrace, especially in the spring or summer, is a delightful experience. But my overriding memory from four visits in the last twelve months is not of any of these aspects - it is the warmth and friendliness of virtually every member of staff in the hotel. Right from check-in, the smiles and cheerful welcome help to melt away the fatigue of an eleven hour flight from London and tell you that will be well looked after in this hotel. With room prices that are very reasonable (at least for a Brit paying in pounds sterling!) and an excellent location, the Sandton Sun brings you the warmest welcome in Jo'burg - and there's no supplement to pay for that!
Walton on Thames
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Johannesburg's business district and connected to the most luxurious shopping centre in the city, the hotel offers 5-star accommodation and a range of business and leisure facilities to all travellers, including state-of-the-art boardrooms, conference and banquet facilities. The menus at the award-winning restaurants are seasonal and sustainable while the outdoor deck offers breath-taking views of the city. Everything from a sundowner deck to a luxurious spa can be found under one roof, highlighting accessibility and connectivity ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandton Sun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandton Sun Hotel Sandton
- Sun Hotel Sandton
- Sandton Sun Greater Johannesburg