Sandton Sun
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Sandton(Sandton)
$106
$67
Hotels.com
1,025 results
All reviewsshopping malldirect accessnelson mandela squaresun decksandton citynespresso machineconvention centerexcellent hoteltsogo sunworld classhouse keepingbusiness hotelbusiness tripsouth africaenjoyed my staygautrain stationvinny
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Sandton Sun Hotel is in a great location, especially if you have business in the Sandton CBD and specifically at the Sandton Convention Centre. Europcar has a branch right in the hotel's parking which is also extremely convenient. But that's where the brilliance ends !!! I was there on business with a large insurance company, and the problem started when I wanted to book one night extra for my own account. I was quoted R3500 for a single room -an exorbitant price for a hotel room, out-of-season in South Africa. I know the hotel was reasonably full, but for a fraction of the price one can get far superior accommodation in the vicinity - which I promptly did ! The next day when I checked in with my colleagues, many of us were told that I rooms were not ready - this was at nearly 4 o'clock in the afternoon...eventually when I did manage to get my room and luggage ready, i went for a stroll around the adjacent Sandton City - a world-class shopping mall. I then returned to my room to prepare for the festivities ahead, only to find there was not a drop of hot water for a shower. I tried to phone guest services, this time to find that the room's telephone was out of order !!! I gave up and put on my tux, unbathed and irritated. We were due to leave for the airport at 6 am the next morning, so I checked out at 5:45m, ready for a quick breakfast, only to be told that breakfast was served from 6:30. In desperation I ordered a cup of coffee for which I was presented with a bill. Surely a pot of coffee and a few muffins could have been provided ? Breakfast had been paid for, and the duty manager knew a whole bunch of us were leaving at 6. It really upset me that no evidence of the famed African hospitality was to be found - yes, we were all locals but still expect a modicum of warmth and cordiality. I found the experience impersonal, incompetent and mediocre. And for the record, the rooms though large and well-specked, are well overdue for a refurb...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Brett D, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun recently and for sharing your experience with us. I was most disappointed that you found your stay not to the standards expected and please accept my personal apologies for this. I will ensure your comments are addressed by the Heads of Departmetns concerned and rectified.

Thank you again for your comments, we are constantly looking for ways in which we can improve on the product and service we offer. If there is anything further, however small which you feel could have enhanced on your time here or you would like to see included on a future visit, please just drop me a short note.

Thank you again for staying with us and please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit so I can personally oversee any future visits to Sandton Sun.

brett.davidge@tsogosun.com

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel has a great location near the Mandela Square. The sandton mall is also very huge and nice with a number of brands. Though it is a bit expensive considering it is a five star hotel, it is a nice place to stay with a good view of the Sandton area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sandton Sun in the not too distant future.

On your next visit please do not miss our spectacular Sunset from the San Deck and the Sea Whisperer massage in the Spa is not to be missed.

Thank you again for staying with us and please also consider one of the many hotels which fall under the Tsogo Sun Group.

Warmest regards

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Could have been better for the name and class.
Waiters not to expectations
Rooms could have been better groomed.

No complains / Problems during my stay. But for a High rise 5 Star is Sandton I expected much more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Warmest regards

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for seven nights and had a great experience. The rooms are well decorated, clean and quite comfortable. The house keeping ladies are very diligent and friendly. The meals are very nice but the quality of waiters could be better for the quality of hotel. The hotel is within Sandton mall and next to Nelson Mandela square hence very convenient for shopping and dining out. I stayed on 19th floor and views are fantastic. Overall, very nice experience.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael M

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun in the heart of Gauteng. We pride ourselves in being the "Pulse" of Sandton and our San Deck as you have found is a perfect place to enjoy the vibrancy of the area.

On your next visit be sure to enjoy a treatment in the Spa, I would personally recommend our Sea Whisperer Massage.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers on Trip Advisor and we look forward to seeing you returning to us in the not too distant future. Please also consider our other properties within the Tsogo Sun Group.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

In the Sandton Business District. Nice clean room, very good breakfast and a nice view on very strange new buildings. It has a direct access to the mall with many nice shops. The Congress Center is big and located at 6th floor

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun and for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers on Trip Advisor. Your views are of utmost importance to us and thank you for your positive comments about the hotel.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sandton Sun in the not too distant future.