City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Sandton(Sandton)
$101
$91
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscarpe diemgrayston drivesandton cityeasy accessroom serviceswimming poolbusiness
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We always stay here when we visit Johannesburg as it is in a quiet location for the evening stop over.The City Lodge concept is well known and is our preferred choice for city stays.On our last trip we had booked in advance and when we arrived we were informed that there was no water at all in the hotel due to a municipal problem. The stafff were brilliant and arranged an immediate transfer to a sister hotel some 3 kms away. No fuss, no bother just great service and lots of smiles.

Room Tip: Ask for pool facing rooms and then you will not have the carpark noises in the morning.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FAMLEE
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Room are great. Clean and comfortable. No frills.

On the negative side, tv is mediocre, wifi is expensive. Hotel has no vibe. It's a little soul-less. That said, it's still where I stay regularly for short business trips because it's very central, and good value for money?

Don't eat the food.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces in towards the garden.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed here on the 9th July and I have no complaints about the hotel itself, the establishment is fine for a night or two with all the basics.

I decided to make another booking again for a one night stay in August and this is where I encountered problems with service.

An Amount for R 877.70 went off my Credit Card by City Lodge Katherine Street Sandton on the 30th July. I made my booking online on the 29 July to stay for one night at the City Lodge on the 5th August, I have the booking confirmation showing the date and time.

On the 4th August I cancelled the booking (I still have the cancellation confirmation clearly showing the date and time.)

The Terms and Conditions of City Lodge state the following:

Should you cancel your reservation prior to 12 midday on the day of arrival you will be refunded within 7 days of the cancellation process.

Should you cancel your reservation after 12 midday on the day of arrival you will be charged for the first night's accommodation and the remainder nights will be refunded by the hotel within 7 days. Please ensure you email all required details to the respective hotel.
This can be verified by going on their website.

The amount of R877.70 had in fact had already been cleared on my credit card and no refund was given. When I contacted City Lodge Katherine Street Sandton on the 11 August I was told by a lady called Thandie that I must fax them my credit card statement? I am not very comfortable with doing this for obvious privacy and security issues. WARNING IN SOUTH AFRICA YOU NEVER DO THIS FRAUD IS LIKE BREATHING HERE. So instead of someone doing their job at accounts and checking if in fact the credit was issued (like perhaps calling their bank- just a suggestion) they instead make it the customer's problem.

I have the Cancellation Confirmation that they sent me via email on the 4th of August which clearly shows the date and time of the cancellation.
To date I still have no refund and after numerous calls and emails my only alternative is to go to my bank and make a charge back.
It is a small amount but if they fail to refund one night what is to say they will refund a larger amount?

I will never again have anything to do with City Lodge. I get the impression they hope you will forget about them taking your money or hope you will not check your credit card statemen

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank nikkiTT
Reviewed March 25, 2010

This Lodge was the part of an organized tour. If ever we returned to Johannesburg, the Lodge would be our first choice. Room pleasant and staff outstanding. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SKINewcastle
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Very clean, comfortable hotel. Nothing special, just a big box hotel. Down the road from the huge Sandton City mall, but not really within easy walking distance. It is within walking distance of a much smaller mall that has a grocery store and a couple of restaurants. The rooms are pretty spacious, good wifi access and big work spaces. Nice flat-screen TV's with DSTV. They messed up both my and my colleague's airport transfer, so if you want to stay there you should be sure to confirm your arrangement (although we both did and it didn't help). The staff were a bit disaffected, not particularly friendly or helpful, but never rude. There's a good restaurant on the hotel property that does a really good steak. I prefer the City Lodge Sandton City but this is a slightly cheaper alternative. If you're in town for meetings and want to stay a couple of nights you can't really go wrong, it's not going to blow you away but you'll be happy enough.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business