“What an amazing experience - perfect service”

Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We stayed at Fairlawns for only one night for our wedding anniversary. We mentioned that it was our anniversary when we booked, and the staff went to great lengths to make our anniversary special throughout our stay.

We were upgraded to a suit, which was really amazing - huge, massive spa bath, full lounge area, even a guest bathroom! The room was beautifully decorated and the bed was heavenly.

We had dinner in the restaurant and really had a great meal - again, the attention to detail was lovely - they decorated our table with rose petals, and made sure we had a quiet spot in the restaurant.

When we returned to our room, we found they had left a platter of strawberries and cream for us - a very sweet touch that we really appreciated.

The breakfast the next morning was fabulous.

The personal service from the staff made our stay - I have stayed at very few hotels where I can say I have received service that even comes close!

I will return - the sooner the better!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 24, 2009

With amaizing Staff, who are friendly, helpfull and courteous, it was a pleasure to walk into such a beautiful hotel.
Compliments to the Chefs as Breakfast is fresh and inviting while lunch and dinners are relaxing with elegant tastey food.
I really enjoyed my time at this Hotel and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Art, Culture and a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Am a regular traveller to South Africa and have been staying at Fairlawns for a number of years now. I love the place and the staff always make me feel very welcome. The hotel itself is comprised of a number of blocks linked together with a lovely garden and pool. The building style can only be described as 'Tuscan' which sounds strange, but it works. Spa is nice and service excellent, although at times it may take a couple of efforts to get things right. Rooms are huge...and I mean huge....a very pleasant change from the Euro boxes I often stay in.
The restaurant is a treat and the chef is happy to provide a dish that isn't on the menu if the ingredients are available. Small bar, more of a snug really and can get a bit smoky.
Location is a little way from central J'burg, Sandton an Melrose Arch..but there is a shuttle available to take you anywhere you want and a pre-arranged pick up will get you back nice and safely.
I have two concerns though. The hotel itself needs some money spent on it. The grand decor is beginning to reach its sell by date and could do with being refreshed. Nothing major, just small stuff like drapes, some carpets etc.
The other concern is that a new accommodation block is being built. Nothing wrong with that, but the whole idea of such a niche hotel - IMO - is the fact that it is boutique and maintains its' homely charm. I am worried the additional rooms and number of guests will detract from the word 'boutique' and the place is in danger of becoming 'another' nice hotel.
I will be back and hope my concerns are unfounded. Give it a try...you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I have read all the reviews of this place and I do have some sympathy with those who criticise it but I wonder if their evaluation criteria are wrong. This is not an out and out 5 star hotel in the classic style. It doesn't pretend to be. It is rather like a country house with some friendly, helpful staff in glorious surrounds in one of the most 'iffy' cities in the world. I have stayed at around 10 hotels in Joburg and stopped going to the rest of them 10 years ago.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I do not know where to start ...
Everything about this hotel is absolutely beautiful. The feel of the property is of timeless age. Relaxing, reviving !!
The suites are magnificent, everyone of them are so spacious and your every need is catered for !! The food was to die for, if I may recommend the salmon. The staff are so friendly they make you feel so at home and no matter what you ask of them, they are so eager to please !! And then there is the spa ... WOW !! A beautiful Balinese garden with relaxation chill areas, I even had my spa treatment outside !!
I would stay at Fairlawns again without a doubt in my mind and recommend to you !!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2008

This is not a 5* hotel. The rooms are themed and not in a good way!!! It all feels a little 'cheap', rather than spending money on gimmicked rooms they would be better to concentrate on ensuring the plumbing is efficient, the bath took 20 minutes to run. It all felt rather tired and in need of an overhaul.

The grounds are lovely, but the Zen Garden is very overgrown, I would challenge anyone to relax in there.

We did eat in the restaurant - this turned out to be a bizarre experience, the food was dreadful. They started by giving us bread, except the bread was of the sweet variety - the same bread was around at breakfast, I enjoyed it less the second time around. My meal was even stranger, it was a Thai curry, but was served with pasta and parmesan cheese. I couldn't eat it and when the waiter came over I explained the problem, as it was nearly 10 o'clock I really could not be bothered to order anything else - I was surprised to see I had still been charged for the dish.

All In all, this was not a dreadful experience, more a disappointing one, my advice would be to choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TTravel71
Reviewed January 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon for one night in October 2007.

Our room, while large and nice (and very large bathroom), felt to us as though it had not been occupied in a while (like someone had gotten all the dust out just prior to our arrival). The staff is pretty stuck-up and pretentious.

The restaurant was terrible. You sit at your table forever and wait for the food. When it arrives, it is awful. Neither what my husband ordered nor what I ordered was very good at all.

The grounds, as you can see from the pictures, are very beautiful.

I would not want to stay here again, especially for the money.

I'm not sure where one would stay in Johannesburg. A friend of mine was with a group that stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental at the same time (October 2007) and their room was robbed of all valuables.

My advice - just stay away from Johannesburg unless you know someone who lives there, can stay with them and they take you around. Even the nicest of hotels, as was mine and my friends' experience, are seriously lacking.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Southern_Gal_AL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa
#3 of 47 in Sandton
DaVinci Hotel and Suites
DaVinci Hotel and Suites
#11 of 47 in Sandton

Been to Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!