“Wonderful "Boutique" Hotel”

Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Impeccable decor, style, service, rooms & food. Outstanding 5 Star Hotel ask for any room except the white on white 'Jimmy Carter' room, you will love it. Don't miss the bar or garden & pool area. August 2013 with Jane Lee & Larry Winter's Town & Country Tour

Room Tip: All different all wonderful but we didn't care for the 'white on white' President Jimmy...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisSchutte, Sales & Marketing at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review.

Fairlawns is always striving for more in order to remain a unique, exclusive up-market sanctuary for travellers from all parts of the world and we appreciate your positive feedback.

We trust the remainder of your trip was just as memorable and hope to host you again in the future.

The Fairlawns Team

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have just returned from an amazing 10-night stay in this lovely boutique hotel in Sandton. Fairlawns was highly recommended by both my colleagues and my company, as it is only 5 minutes from our offices and is a serene and beautiful alternative to a traditional business hotel.

The staff is exceptionally attentive and polite. Special thanks to Zene in the front office - an outstanding young woman who made me feel as welcome as an old friend from the beginning of my stay. I looked forward to seeing her each morning and missed her when she was off. Larry, the Food and Beverage department head, not only runs a top-notch department but takes the time to get to know the guests. He and I talked on a number of occasions about his beautiful country, and on the next to last day of my stay, he brought me a magazine with an article he thought I might enjoy reading on the plane. That's a touch I won't soon forget. His staff learns your preferences immediately and never fails to delight.

The food is creative, fresh, and expertly prepared and presented. The head Chef is from CapeTown, and the special touches he puts into every meal are worth noting. I entertained colleagues several times and never once had an item I didn't enjoy thoroughly, nor did they. I especially recommend the Scottish salmon - so good I had it two nights! The chick pea salad is delicious, and the white truffle risotto is unbelievably creamy and rich. The breakfast buffet and the "cooked" breakfasts are exceptional - especially the eggs benedict - and the peaceful atmosphere in the restaurant lends a lovely start or ending to the day. The outside venue overlooking the grounds and pool is a beautiful place to have a drink or simply relax and catch up on email.

The hotel is tastefully decorated and feels more like a country home than a hotel. Each room is different - decorated by the owner - and the touches are unique and comfortable. It's hard to find fault with much at Fairlawns.

So why not five stars? Truthfully, this hotel is very, very close. Had it not been for some slight lapses with the housekeeping staff, I would give this special property 5 stars, and the lapses are minor irritants rather than real problems: Leaving clean towels but failing to leave a face cloth; restocking shampoo but not shower gel; leaving only decaf coffee; forgetting to leave bottled water. My guess is that the housekeeper may have been short on some supplies when servicing the room, but instead of making note of what was missing, she simply serviced with what she had. NOTE: As soon as I called Zene and asked for something that was missing, it was instantly sorted, so as I said, this is an irritant rather than a criticism.

In summary: I would not only recommend Fairlawns to colleagues, family and friends, but I look forward to returning here again whenever my business takes me to Johannesburg. I only hope that Zene and Larry are still there when I return, and I wish Mr. and Mrs. Thacker continued success with this beautiful home away from home.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new part of the hotel - built just prior to the World Cup - are "eco-friendly"...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
ChrisSchutte, Sales & Marketing at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on our Hotel, and most importantly, thank you for choosing Fairlawns as your home away from home.

Any constructive feedback is always a benefit to us, as we are constantly striving to improve our services to our guests.

It was a great pleasure hosting you for your 10-night stay, we hope it won't be your last and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

The Fairlawns Team

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is our second stay here and it is still wonderful. The rooms, grounds, service and restaurant are all superb. There are beautiful grounds that the kids can run around on and play while we enjoy a drink on the balcony. I highly recommend the breakfast here. It is buffet with a la carte main course. The buffet is stunningly presented on silver platters and our main courses were perfectly cooked! For dinner the oxtail was pricey, but an enormous portion and the restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere in winter with the fireplaces all it! You just don't want to leave once you have checked in! Our only two complaints are that the wi-fi in our room was not working properly, and that we had asked for the fire to be lit in the lounge of the wing we stayed in (they will only light the fires when you are in the lounge) - and by the time we had finished our after dinner drinks (we had guests and booked 2 rooms) the fire had still not been lit and we went to bed.

Room Tip: We have had 3 different rooms here and they have all been wonderful. If you are traveling with othe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ChrisSchutte, General Manager at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Fairlawns Boutique Hotel, Sandton and taking time to complete the Guest Questionnaire.

Your feedback is of utmost importance to us, as it allows us to recognize and reward the excellence and improve our standards where required. To always strive for more in order to remain a unique, exclusive up-market sanctuary for both Corporate and Leisure travelers.

My sincere apology for the inconvenience caused with the WiFi and lighting of the fire place.
We are constantly striving to improve our service consistency.

Once again, thank you for taking time to communicate with us. Should you require additional information or would like to query anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

wonderful grounds. excellent staff. beautifully decorated rooms , very good restaurant. this is a very well run and well managed hotel . surely one of the best in SA.
we tried both regular and junior suite rooms. both good. bathroom in the suite is huge.

Room Tip: be careful to take the correct power adaptors for SA.. just like the UK but round nit rectangular pi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisSchutte, General Manager at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Spent just one night at this marvelous property in between safari game drives. It was one of the nicest places I've ever stayed. The Villa Suite was enormous with too many amenities to name. The shower was strong and the water hot which was a treat after being in the bush. Service was top notch as be might expect. The spa was surprisingly effective and the food in the restaurant was delicious and well prepared. Though the hotel is 35-40 minutes from the JoBurg airport it is still a must see destination. I was sorry we couldn't spend more time at this beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool overlook the spa and gardens, very tranquil.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisSchutte, General Manager at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Fairlawns Boutique Hotel, Sandton and taking time to post feedback on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I have travelled extensively all over the world from mid range to luxurious. We flew in to celebrate our anniversary and booked the spa package too.

Airport collection was professional and the ride not far at all in a comfy Merc Vito with refreshments provided. Checking in was smooth, personal and again professional.

We were assigned the Asian style suite (they're all individual in theme). A tasteful blend of luxury and modern comforts.

The hotel food from the included breakfasts to dinners was sumptuous and, when room service was ordered, delivered quickly. All staff are very well trained.

The spa was great and surroundings idyllic and serene and when we decided to eat out or shop their complimentary car service had us at nelson mandela square in 15 mins.

This place is great for relaxing, exploring the city and everything in between. We will be back and recommend this to anyone over any hotel...its way more personal.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 10, 2013

And I've stayed at lots of nice ones. Elegant, beautiful, stunning. The rooms, each one unique (we peeked into some others), are luxurious. The staff is ever helpful. I can't say enough good about this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Winstonthecat1

gm@fairlawns.co.za

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa
6 mi away
The Residence Boutique Hotel
The Residence Boutique Hotel
#1 of 67 in Johannesburg

Been to Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!