“3 star hotel disguised as a 4 star”
Review of The Maslow

The Maslow
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Oak Ridge
“3 star hotel disguised as a 4 star”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Inconsistent is the best way to describe this disappointing property. Having stayed here for a week for business, I can say the only consistency was disappointment. The property itself is modern and inviting, yet the little things that enable a hotel to call itself a 4 star property were missing. Like service. One morning at breakfast I spoke with 6 different waiters before I was served or even received a cup of coffee. One evening, a call for room service and a cappuccino took only 67 minutes and the cappuccino arrived cold. In the bar I asked a bartender what he knew about the different beers that were ontap, he replied, 'they are draft beers.'. Usually a hotel can have a bad night or two, but the little inconsistencies kept popping up. the gym was OK but small and if you did not like cricket, well too bad because you can't change the channel. So I went swimming instead and after getting in the pool found it was filled with silt and leaves. I swam anyway because four staff had gathered to watch my every move instead of doing whatever it was they were supposed to do. They watched my entire workout routine, like I was some kind of new display at a zoo that they found just too interesting to leave.
Do these first world problems make this a bad hotel? Yes, if you are living a life of deception and want to call yourself a four star or above property. If you call yourself a well-heeled 3 star hotel that caters to local business, then your marketing would be more appropriate and consistent with an appropriate level of service that I witnessed. Would I stay here again? Yes - because now I know what I am getting, it is close to my business, and I can negotiate a better rate more consistent with their proven ability.

Room Tip: Get something above the second floor and on the side facing the street or else you hear the bar, all...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Johan S, General Manager at The Maslow, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Maslow hotel and for taking the time to write about your experience. I am deeply disappointed to learn that we have not met your expectations on this occasion. The Maslow team is committed to deliver consistent, memorable service. You have identified some real training opportunities and I would like to assure you that we will address all matters raised. Please contact me directly when you are planning your next visit to Sandton, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail.
Regards
Johan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed overnight in this hotel. Not very impressed with standard of service although there was nothing wrong with our bedroom - a very modern room with open plan bathroom. We had a mediocre meal in the restaurant. Our friends had to send theirs back as the chicken was raw in the middle. By the time they got their meal we were well finished. We signed for the meal on our room tag only to be called later(when we ready for bed) demanding we came down to pay which we refused to do saying we would pay first thing next morning ( we were part of a group so they new our tour details) This they rfused and sent someone up to the room to collect the money. Which meant one of us had to get out of bed and dressed. Certainly wont be staying there again and would not recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very noisy as they are close to a busy main road
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your feedback. The Maslow team strives to be the best at guest satisfaction and we failed this with you. Management will review your concerns to make sure that this does not occur in the future. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to reaffirm your trust in our hotel.

Anita munetsi
Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed December 3, 2013

It is always a pleasure when in Johannesburg to stay at this lovely hotel, the hotel staff is so friendly that you feel at ease, it's been a while since my last visit but the holt is still squeaky clean and everything works. I just love the flat HD Televisions make staying indoors such a pleasure that I spent two days straight without leaving the Hotel well the symposium was one reason but the Maslow has it all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for the wonderful post on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. On your next visit, please do let me know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just stayed at this property for 3 night . Service was great from check in to check out.
Good room service menu, great breakfast and the spa treatment was also nice.
Only surprise point was that the rooms were made very late, twice my room was still not done at 3 pm . It was the only downside.
Will go back for sure

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for your review, it gives us great pleasure to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We do apologise about your room being made late, I have spoken to the Executive Housekeeper and she has since taken corrective measures to make sure that rooms are made on time. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Maslow Hotel must be one of the "Best " hotels in South Africa .

**** What started out as a weekend away - has resulted in a 2 month stay . The reason - exceptional service from the concierges *( Paula ) .... front desk ( * Lesego Front Desk Manager ) Exceptional service received from all @ the bistro namely :- ,Zandile , and many others .

The Management at The Maslow - are one of a kind - never have we experienced such service - friendly , well spoken , experience and always willing to go the extra mile for their guest , staff like Alaine , Robin and the GM Mr Johann Scheepers , that make this establishment a " World Class " hotel .

I would highly recommend this hotel . It is an experience of a life time .... from back of house , housekeeping , hospitality staff , front of house and last but no least the Management .

They deserve all the accolades .....words cannot describe the experience we have had and continue to have ..... ( we are still here )

Michael & Rudi

Room Tip: All rooms are good !
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guests

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It gives us great pleasure to know that the Maslow team is making your stay a memorable one. I have shared your comments with the staff that you have recognized and the rest of the staff as well. Comments like yours are an inspiration to our team to continue with the pursuit of excellence in our service. Your loyalty is greatly valued, enjoy your stay with us.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I took part in a conference being hosted at the Maslow. Apart from the conference rooms themselves being too small for the number of people (not the hotel's fault) I was very impressed by my stay. The Bar / Pool area is very nice and an under advertised feature on the website. Internet connection was good throughout the hotel and they have a nice lounge for early arrivals such as myself. Happily stay here again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the Excellent review of your recent stay with us. We strive to provide the utmost in customer service and we are pleased to hear that we did just that. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back this way.

Porto, Portugal
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Maslow is up to the task, delivering a great experience.
Professional staff, good rooms, a very fair breakfast.

Restaurant has room to improvement, but ther service pack from entire staff is there.

Recommended.

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us, I have since shared your feedback with the staff and they appreciate it. I have also passed on your feedback regarding the restaurant service to the Food and Beverage Manager and he has assured me that he has noted your feedback and is working on improving the service. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow hotel.