“Disgruntled customer”
Review of The Maslow

The Maslow
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed July 12, 2013

After staying one night at the Maslow I discovered a duplicate charge on my credit card. I have followed up on this for over a month with Maslow management acknowledging the error but without remedial action. Today I discovered that they have processed a refund of less than the value of the duplicate charge. I'm irate because I simply don't have the time to be chasing a clerical error. This is poor service from a supposedly four star hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Johan S, General Manager at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in processing the mentioned transaction. Please contact me directly in order to assist you with rectifying this matter as soon as possible.
Regards
Johan

There are newer reviews for The Maslow

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Firstly let me start off by saying:

- We had originally booked into a rival hotel, but on recommendation we went to take a look at this hotel, loved it so decided to check out of the rival hotel and check into this!
- In reality I would rate this 4.5, rather than 4.

So, what made us move to this hotel and why the ratings?

Employees
Without exception we found all employees to be professional and courteous at all times.

Rooms
Based on my stay in the Junior Suite, again compliments a contemporary design, and in particular an amazing bathroom. Nice wall mounted flat tv, comfy beds and Molton Brown toiletries!

General Facilities
We found the facilities in general to be top notch and in particular:

- The Wayfarer Lounge is particularly useful if you arrive too early for check in or your flight is a long time after check out. There are complimentary refreshments on offer, and shower facilities! Hopefully other hotels can start introducing this concept;
- The gym facilities - nice smallish gym equipped with modern CV equipment and weights. Never found there to be too many people here.
- The pool area - very nice;
- The Spa - excellent!
- Half hourly transportation to the Nelson Mandela Square, which was invaluable in transporting us to our evening meals. In reality you can walk there in no more than 10 minutes, but people on their own / late evenings may prefer to use the transportation;
- Free wi - fi throughout the hotel.

Not withstanding the above, there are a few areas that need improvement:

- Breakfast service. Overall, the level of food on offer is varied and plentiful. I agree that in theory the idea of offering an a la carte service is pretty special. However, I feel that that although all staff were always friendly and helpful, the service was at best slow and at worst disorganised. Guests shouldn't have to wait to be asked for tea and a breakfast service certainly shouldn't run out of ketchup! Reading other TripAdvisor reviews, our opinions do not appear to be isolated and on at least two occasions during our stay we witnessed other guests also complaining about the breakfast service.

- General maintenance. Outside room 429 for the entirety of my stay, the fire alarm was hanging from its wires. Overall, the hotel felt in places that it has been finished quickly to get it open for business.

That said, I would not hesitate to in recommending The Maslow to family and friends when in Johannesburg. We are also due to be back ourselves in Johannesburg in the new year and rest assured The Maslow will be our first choice of accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - if there is room, the hotel may be willing to accommodate!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for the excellent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking your time to write this valuable feedback. We have also taken note of the areas of improvement you pointed out and we are addressing them. We look forward to welcoming you back in the new year.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I generally loathe travelling to Jozi but the Maslow has turned this detestation around. It's my third stay at the hotel now and whilst there have been a few minor teething problems (we won't name the driver) as in all new hotels, the experience, comfort, location and design all contrive to make my up country trips seamless. The rooms are plush and mod, nespreso in the room, comp red wine, beautiful glasses, comp water in fridge and tea and shortbread. The beds are large and comfy and the room is designed in a way to be austere, minimal and functional but with a high level of comfort and attention to design. The bathrooms are suprb with rain showers and good pressure and I always take my left over Molton Brown products with me ;-)
The lobby is beautifully designed - pared down colours with texture and comfortable seating, and the Lacuna bar serves all the right drinks - Darling Brew on tap and Lagavulin and Nikka single malts behind the bar. And don't forget to ask for complimentary snacks. I'm waiting for summer to try the pool and the deck is inviting for a late lunch in the Autumn sun. Thanks for turning my Jozi trips around Maslow. In fact I even look forward to them now.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony west facing room. Its a bit far to walk but you can sit out and enjoy the sun and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your positive comments regarding the Maslow hotel. We strive to make all our guest to feel at home and we are pleased to hear that we met your expectations. We appreciate your business and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow on your next visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I checked and stayed in several hotels in South Africa but the Maslow is really different and unique. I loved the design and the room colors. It was quiet at night and the bed was so comfy. Visiting South Africa and staying at the Maslow is a must. If you stayed there try the Maslow burger you will not regret it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for making time to write such a positive review on trip advisor. We are pleased to hear that you had a memorable stay and that you found the hotel’s design appealing. I have shared your review with the Maslow team and they are delighted to hear such feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Placing the order was not easy and then the waiter forgot the main course. My dish promised seasonal veg which I'd chosen above another dish which seemed to only come with potatoes. Firstly the waiter forgot our starters completely. Secondly my dish arrived WITH only potatoes. Won't go back..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your feedback regarding your dining experience. We have addressed the issues raised with the relevant departments and have put corrective measures to avoid the same situation from happening again. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The newest hotel in the Sun International chain. This is the old Southern Sun Grayston that has been refurbished into a more hip-modern version that will definitely attract the Sandton socialites. Rooms have clean sleek lines in-keeping with the hotel style and the main areas offer something for everyone from quite corners to bustling spots.
The Wayfarer Lounge is a nice touch for clients arriving early or checking out late when their room is not available, a place to work, have a coffee, read the paper etc.
Close to the hub of Sandton, probably the only draw back being it is just too far to walk in the evenings/night to restaurants etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your great review on trip advisor. Your comments are appreciated. Please note that we do have a shuttle bus that runs every 30 minutes from the hotel to Sandton City. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow in the near future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We held our 2 day convention at the Maslow Hotel and I rate it as most probably the best hotel with regards to facilities, quality and service!! The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped. The bar and dining room is very relaxing and well managed, whilst the pool area is well situated and top class!

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and well equipped. Service excellent and facilities great. Expensive, but worth i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear valued guest,

We are humbled by your great review on Trip Advisor. It is great to see that we managed to live up to your expectations. I have shared your review with the Maslow team and everyone is delighted to have played a part in your experience at the Maslow. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.