“An amazing hotel in a perfect location”

InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We arrived at this hotel early in the morning from a long haul flight. I had booked a VIP room so the front desk sent us up to the 27th floor. We were greeted by a very nice young lady who said she would arrange for an early check in for us. About half an hour later our room was ready.
We were given a beautiful room, and while the view is nothing to rave about, it is the only thing that detracts from this gorgeous hotel.
The hotel is attached by a walkway that leads to the Sandton shopping mall and Nelson Mandela square. It was raining so it was great not to have to get wet, The hotel is safe as is the mall, which has every kind of shop you can imagine and prices are excellent.
The VIP room has access to the club lounge, which provided an excellent breakfast, all cooked to order as well as snacks and drinks throughout the day.
We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed every minute of it. The room was spacious, had every amenity you could ask for, and bottled water was replenished regularly. Nightly turndown included chocolates on the bed, and a mat with slippers at the side.
All these special touches are what bring a hotel to the forefront.
Special thanks to Kathleen who I spoke to via email prior to arrival, and Marcus - the most outstanding person we met. Nothing was ever too much trouble, always a smile and he instantly knew us by name.
I have been a staunch Hilton user for many years, but this stay has definitely made me change the way I think and we will be using Intercontinental where ever possible in the future.

Room Tip: Get a VIP room if you can - well worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. However, I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is my first trip to south Africa, and the first time staying at Intercontinental. My room was spacious and comfortable. I especially enjoyed the bathroom area. The staff was cordial, courteous, and took care of all my needs quickly. The location of the hotel is close to malls and restaurants, making it easy to eat and shop. I felt safe and very well serviced.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

I am delighted that you stay was good and I trust that you will be returning to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have been staying here for years
It is always reliable

Best point of this hotel is the connection to the big mall- Sandton City.
As a foreigner with safety concerns it is nice to be able to access one of the best up scale malls in South Africa with great convenience and safety- Please note construction is in process and currently the building connection is through a car park- which is well lit with security- so not too bad. Once the construction ends I hope the connection becomes easier again.
I also do my wine shopping in the Woolworth in the mall. South African red wine is one of the best deals to buy while in South Africa.

The hotel is okay. Nothing special, old but well maintained. Now wow factor- unless you consider riding glass elevator up and down the tall tower a wow factor.

Service is competent but can miss some details eg. my room did not have the laundry bags in one of my two recent stays...

Stay here for location
Wish IHG would do something for their reward program- as it is far behind in earn rates.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Koreaninsingapore

Our location is wonderful and I am pleased that your stay was generally good, however, please accept my apologies for the lack of attention to detail regarding the lack of laundry bags in your room. I trust that I will have the pleasure of welocming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stay here mostly on Business. Wonderful spacious rooms in a fine location with decent wifi. Its a nice hotel compared to some of the hotels in the area. The gym is very big. It also has a nice pool. The breakfast is good. It has an executive private lounge on the upper floors for the private business traveller. The hotel is directly linked to a wonderful shopping area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive feedback and I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have been coming to this Hotel since 2007 and wrote a review in 2008. It remains a good choice in Sandton. However standards as 5 star hotel are slipping. Room quality has been maintained although starting to show age as there have been no refurbishments. Most noticeable is decline in service standards. Breakfast quality has deteriorated and does not compare at all with other good hotels in the area such as Michelangelo, Hyatt, or Pretoria Sheraton. It is both the much lower quality of the food as well as lack of attention by staff. Limited newspaper selections, no welcome drink, inconsistent turn-down service, very limited choices in the mini-bar. In short, all the little details that make it for a top experience (at a top price) are slipping. This is largely a management issue that hopefully will be addressed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Please accept my sincere apologies for the general lack of attention to detail plus service standards and please be assured that we are addressing this as a matter of urgency. However, I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

been here many time for bussiness, corporate booking. it is a pleasant hotel, but very exspensive! breakfast is good , the restaurant also serve a lovely lunch, but it is exspensive! everything in Sandon is exspensive for South Africans!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank heilavh2016

Thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Sandton again!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Spent a week at this hotel.

Location is good.

Check-in was horrible, had me waiting for over 40 minutes in the lobby because my room wasn't ready. After a 12 hour flight and 10 subsequent hours in the office, plus jet lag, I really wasn;t in the mood for delays.

Staff tried to be corteous, but in any other hotel you'd be given some sort of upgrade. Here instead, they had me waiting for 40 min, and 30 min after I'd arrive to my room and was ready to get in to bed, door knocks and complimentary bottle of non sparkling wine.

I just wanted to sleep.

So I proceed to sleep but... My room was on one of the first floors. Avoid these where possible.

They have live music in the lobby, and the way the hotel is structured, you'll have to suffer the noise of the music until at least 10pm. Some nights the music was off at 9pm, but there was no consistency in timings.

I complained, but was told the hotel was full.

Not a good start.

The room service menu is quite limited, options are poor and food quality is not really up to 4 or 5 star hotel standards. I did try ordering 4 nights out of 5, and as such tried different things. Nothing outstanding.

Check out was quick (thank god), I couldn't wait to hit the road back home.

Overall, a hotel I'd never stay again in nor recommend unless strictly necessary.

Room Tip: Higher rooms less noise. Avoid lower rooms if you want to sleep early - music till 10pm in the lobby...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and apologise for all the inconvenience caused to you.