New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
London, United Kingdom
“a good stay for business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The InterConti was great for a quick stay in Joburg. The room I had on the 12th floor was very large, the bed was supremely comfortable with crisp high quality sheets. As a business traveler, I appreciate ample power outlets (and ones that fit ZA, US, UK and EU plugs!) at the in room desk. Bathroom was large, great shower pressure. Ample hangers in the closet. The decor is neutral and crisp if a little dated - lots of heavy brown/ black marble.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kmcgd
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
As a business traveller, it's good to hear that we catered for all your needs during your short stay at the Towers. With best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

First impression upon arrival was WOW, look up and up and all you see is 28 floors but the design is what blows you away, Glass elevators take you up the floors enabling you to take in all the different elements of this hotel. We stayed in a Executive Club rooms which had aprivate check in area and once again the staff if Intercontinental did everything in their power to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.
Quick and efficient check in/out.
The room we had at first was amazing but came with a leaking toilet. management were quick to rectify and had us moved into another room and could not apologise enough. Even comped us dinner and drinks for the embarrassing issue.

The executive club rooms are great value, very spacious rooms, great flat screen tv, in excess of 70 channels, beautiful views of Johannesburg, free bottle of wine, turn down service,2 private lounges to relax in, complimentary breakfast in either the lounges or for a better choice go down to the Atrium restaurant on the ground floor, its still complimentary. In the afternoon free selection of drinks and nibbles are provided. Wi-Fi is provided in room, complimentary

Amazing pool and gym area. This hotel is in a great location, not far from the airport but far enough and close enough to the CBD.

The hotel is linked via a skywalk to Sandton City shopping centre which has an array of shops from hi end to the standard shops. Its a bit of a hike finding your way to the ectual shops the first time but once you get there its easier to find your way back. Good place to shop also.

Apparently the skywalk also takes you into a dining area full of various resturants but we did not find it, our driver told us as we were taken to the hotel.

The management of this hotel ensure all your needs are met and we were thankful for their quick actions to rectify our problem on the first night.

Yes we will return to this Hotel if we can get back to South Africa one day.

While we stayed here we went to Soweto and toured Mandela's house and the Museum showing the history of the uprising. Something I hadn't thought about much but pleased I learnt more.

We also went to a shooting range, great day out, we were taken to Gutheries shooting range and had a terrific time. We also used Josh's tours/transport, apparently they do all of the work for the Intercontinental in Johannesburg, as we were told it's not safe to catch public transport etc. The transport was like new, very pleasant driver pointing out facts etc as we were being driven around so highly recommend Josh's.

Room Tip: If its in your budget try the Club floor rooms. We started on 28th floor and finished on the 27th fl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa L
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your concise and positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to South Africa and more specifically to the Club Floor at the hotel. With best wishes for 2013, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I needed to rest and shop a bit in a quiet and secure environment after some extremely busy weeks. The suite I was allocated was not only spacious but relaxing with the view of north of Johannesburg which at night is captivating.
The hotel is linked to the mall and right opposite to Mandela Square with a variety of restaurants. The lounges are well stocked and are ideal for rendez-vous with fellow guest.
Service is great and with room amenities nicely placed.

Will not hesitate to recommend the hotel for travelers wishing to shop and relax in Sandton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Berry M
It's wonderful to hear that your weekendstay in Sandton was all that you expected and I do hope that I'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in 2013. Best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
cardiff, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Intercontinental is located in the middle of Sandton and is walking distance to the main shopping mall and Mandela Square where there is a good selection of restaurants. Service at the hotel is always great and it has free wifi available for guests. The rooms are well appointed and the showers are some of the best I have used in a business hotel. The hotel restaurants is fine for the occasional meal and breakfast however bring a jacket/jumper with you as it does get very cold in the air conditioning especially near the big fish pond. The hotel gym is well appointed and there is a small outdoor pool and sun deck which is a pleasant place to relax. The hotel arranges pick-up from the airport by car although on my last trip it seemed a lot more money than usual. This is my favourite hotel in Sandton.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wilko51
I'm delighted to hear that you had a good stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to your "favourite hotel" in 2013. Best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We booked this hotel for a night solely to be positioned in Sandton to do some shopping after 3 weeks of being on safari in Kenya and Tanzania and because we had 24hours before our flight home. It suited our purpose perfectly - it has a covered walkway to Sandton Shopping Centre and is only a few hundred metres away. We stayed on the club floor and the breakfast was great - not being a big breakfast eater i hate paying for the big buffet breakfasts in hotels when I only peck at a few things, so this facility was perfectly suited for me. If you want a big selection of breakfast fare though you would need to go down to the main restaurant. I liked the lounge in this hotel - whereas at other hotels the club lounges can become too overcrowded - this is small and intimate. The room was everything you would expect of an intercontinental. The bathroom is huge - with full bath and separate shower which was divine! The rain shower head and water flow is perfect. Great amenities by Molton Brown are provided and you also get sound from the TV/Stereo system in the bathroom. The room also had a Bose ipod sound dock which is a great feature to have - we just didn't get the time to use it. The staff are extremely pleasant and efficient. We booked transfer pickups both ways and they showed up on time. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank milkythemouse
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay on our Club Floor from the breakfast, to the room and the staff and, of course, the nearby shopping! Best wishes for 2013 and I trust that I'll have the pleasure of welocming you back to the Towers again this year. Kind regards, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Good Business hotel, this is a good business hotel with excellent connection with sandton towers and Mandela sqr. Service and breakfast was average though. The room are specious and they also provide shuttle services for near by places.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Madhur_Sh
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Glad to hear that you had a good stay and I trust that I'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back in 2013. Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First, the location was very convenient for Sandton. It is attached to the Sandton Convention Centre and across the street from Nelson Mandela Square mall. You can walk through the overhead sidewalks to the Sandton hotel, the adjacent mall, and eventually on to Mandela Square if desired. There are a number of restaurants in Mandela Square. The hotel is a short shuttle ride from the Gautrain station (airport express train). Call the hotel when you arrive and they will send the shuttle – they are just around the corner but it is a bit far if you have luggage. The staff is very friendly and very service oriented. They work very hard to see that your needs are met. My room was very clean, nicely appointed with a good sized corner desk and a comfortable bed. The desk chair did not maintain its height. My room had a Bose stereo which accepts an iPhone or iPod, but mine did not work. My favorite room feature is how the closet and bath are in a separate room. You can close the door and have complete privacy for changing, etc. It is spacious as well, with a separate shower, large tub, and sink. There is a dresser, which the top serves as a luggage rack and hanging rods above. There is also a tall in room safe. On either side of the sink there are shelves – a thoughtful feature often overlooked in most hotels. The toilet is in a separate closet in this closet/lavatory. The bed was very comfortable. When I arrived, my phone did not work properly, but it was repaired when I notified the staff. I also determined that the deadbolt did not fully engage. I could see that the door frame had been broken through at one time and the repair was not properly made. The maintenance staff did “fix” the problem with the deadbolt (by cutting out the middle bar on the latch plate), but the wood frame for the latch really needed replacing. I do not think it would have held all that well.

I only ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. They really need a chef station to offer omelets, eggs, etc., as almost any other hotel around the world has this. The buffet food selection never changed. A much better recipe for the scrambled eggs on the buffet is desperately needed. If you did not get them when they first came out of the kitchen, they were not very good. The waffles looked good, but did not taste good. They had the consistency of a cake doughnut, but frankly tasted awful. A new recipe is needed there as well. I did not try the Asian selections. I mostly ate cereal and pastries (which also needed a better selection). I did have room service once. It was delivered promptly and the food was very good. I did notice that the tip I added to my room service bill was never charged to my room bill, so I hope the staff member still received their money.

Wifi was free for me. The front desk gave me vouchers for both my phone and laptop. An annoying feature is that whenever you accessed the network on the phone after it went to sleep, you had to re-enter the password. I just saved it in a note and did a copy/paste each time. However, the network worked reasonably well. I used the laundry a few times and the hanging clothes came back in a fabric like zippered hanging bag instead of the usual plastic. I took a few of these home (with their permission, of course) and find them useful as covers for suits.

Taxis around Johannesburg were very expensive. A trip to the Apartheid museum cost $70 USD round trip.

I would stay at the hotel again, as I thought the room layout, staff, and location were terrific. The hotel needs to do a better job on the breakfast, as it kept me from even thinking about having dinner there. They also need to pay more attention to maintenance of the rooms. I should not have to inventory everything that is not in order and then make maintenance calls. These deficiencies keep me from giving them a five out of five.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tulsaguy
Thank you for your feedback and I do trust that I'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Towers in 2013, Josiah Montsho, General Manager