“Excellent hotel, service, ambience, comfort”

InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Kampala
“Excellent hotel, service, ambience, comfort”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a one of a kind hotel that stands true to it's rating. Location is deal both for business and leisure. Excellent breakfast and service. Check in and out was quick. Had a slight problem with our pick up from the train station for which the concierge apologized profusely. Welcome fruit and candy a delight. Rooms are spacious and beds very comfortable. Spacious marble bathroom with bathtub and shower. Our stay was absolutely delightful.

Room Tip: Corner suite are spacious.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for completing the survey and for your words of kindness. I really appreciate and value your feedback. Our service can only improve when being made aware by our guests whether we are delivering service which meet with thier needs. I am pleased to hear that the service rendered at our hotel met your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Josiah Montsho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The checkin-Checkout was very smooth. The location is perfect and connected to the Sandton Shopping centre. I was there on the day there was snowfall and the temperatures were -1 degrees. Ask for the room on a higher floor, near the lift. I was happy to see a Nespresso machine in the room. Spacious room, well equipped bathroom. The only downside was the internet connection which was complimentary but extremely slow. A good business hotel otherwise. Also near the train station which I did not use.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your words of kindness, and also for sharing your service experienced during your stay. Guest feedback is crucial and we value for your constructive comments. I have noted your comment regarding the slow Internet and I will escalate and ensure that the IT department look into the matter.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future

Kind regards

Josiah
london
Reviewed August 9, 2012

you are a 7 minute walk from the express train to the airport - i walked 4 times with my travel bag in the space of a week and had no problems!
Also, there is a 5 minute crossover walk from the hotel's 10th floor directly to Sandton trading centre, where you have shops, breakfast cafes and restaurants (nothing fancy, but all good quality).
Bose speakers/charger for iphones/ipods, dvd player (i would have found iPad or laptop cables to LCD TV sreen more useful). Rooms are contemporary design, with good coffee/tea/ drinks selection. My favourite is bath room - a generous space with corner for clothes, bathtub, and walk-in shower

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sotola
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your word of kindness, and for taking your most valued time and writing to us and sharing your service which you have received at our hotel. Guest feedback is very important to us, and it give us the confirmation as to whether we are meetng with our guests needs and to improve on our service shortfalls. I am also pleased that you love our bathrooms and just to share with you that we will be introducing new bathroom amentities in January 2013 as our continued efforts to meet with our guests expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel

Dubai
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights at this hotel, big comfortable clean room, complimentary wifi, nespresso machine, DVD player, Bose speaker for your Ipod, the hotel is connected to sandton shopping mall through hotel's 10th floor, secure complex, I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and will not hesitate to book again if visiting sandton.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, many thanks for your word of kindness. I really appreciate and value your feedback. Thank you for taking your valued time and giving us your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Guest feedback is a GIFT and I take your comments very seriously. I look toward to welcoming you again to our hotel.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Pros:
-Located right next to the Sandton mall and walking distance from the sandton gautrain station
-Nice views of the city from the south-west facing rooms
-Quick room service
-Well equipped rooms. My room had a DVD player, Bose player and a cube coffee machine
-Free wifi service with decent speed
-Checkin and Checkout was quick and hassle free

Cons:
-Internet connection is sometimes spotty
-Breakfast buffet did not have a lot of variety
-Menu was not very interesting either. However there are loads of restaurants in the mall next door, so I did not mind the limited menu.
-Technology in the rooms is a bit outdated. The DVD player did not accept USB devices, nor did the Bose player :(

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank unknownpaths
Dear Valued Guest, many thanks for writing to us and sharing your stay experience. I have noted your comments and in particular the lack of variety of food, and I just to to inform you that our chef is looking into that and will review our breakfast food offering. You have also mentioned that the DVD in the guest room did not accept your USB devise and I have escalated that to our Information Technology manager for his review. Once again, thank you for your constructive comments and please be assured that your comments have been seriously noted and will definitely be addressed.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2012

PROS:
- Rooms are exceptionally comfortable
- Sheets are lovely
- Room service is decent for Sandton
- Great location for shopping
- Top-tier service

CONS:
- Everything feels kind of dated, lots of black marble, brass, and frosted glass
- Outside of the building is horrendous
- Gym is nothing special, pales in comparison to the Radisson Blu gym
- Feels more of a business hotel than somewhere I'd want to stay with free time

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jk091980
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share your service experience with us, we appreciate you word of kindness.I have noted your comments regarding some of the facilities at hotel which you regard as outdated. Guest feedback is important and we strive at all times to try our outmost best to meet with our guests expectations.

Kind regards,

Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at the Joburg Intercontinental Towers in Sandton for 3 nights in July on a business trip. Check in was smooth and professional, and all the staff very friendly and courteous (throughout my stay). There is complimentary wifi but you need a code per device. Also, I don’t know if it was my 2 devices, but if you left them inactive for more than just a short time, when you reactivated them the wifi connection was lost and you had to go through the rigmarole of logging in again. Not the end of the world, but it got pretty tedious after a short time.

The room on the 25th floor was comfortable and well furnished, with good bed linen and nice thick towels. The bathroom was large with a great bath and absolutely awesome shower cubicle. There seemed to be hot water whenever you needed it, and the water pressure was superb. Every day I ended up not wanting to get out of the shower! Strangely the wardrobe area is part of the bathroom, but this is not a big problem. There was no iron and ironing board. There is an iPod dock, flat screen TV and DVD player, as well as a mini bar.

The hotel itself was quiet but the surroundings were not. If you are on the side looking out over the white Standard Bank building, you can see no fewer than 4 active building sites. There was a bit of noise during the day but nothing major. I was awoken at 5.50 am one morning by noise from one site however.

Housekeeping was good, and the room very clean. The batteries on the room safe died while I was there, luckily when I had the safe open. I asked for the batteries to be replaced but the staff seemed reluctant to do that unless I was there.

There is a small bar which didn’t get very lively at all. I didn’t eat at the restaurant in the evening, but the breakfasts were good with plenty of choice. The restaurant is where the generally good service quality falls down in the hotel however. It took nearly 15 minutes for an omelette to arrive one morning, and another morning it took 3 requests before I got something as basic as a cup of coffee. The restaurant was not that busy, and there always seemed to be a ton of staff around, most of them males in jackets not seeming to be doing much except walking round trying to look important while leaving serving guests to the female staff.

That’s about the only criticism I have of the hotel or its staff – everything else was great. The location is good too, with the Nelson Mandela Square shopping complex less than 100 metres away, and Sandton City mall is more or less next to it. At Mandela Square there are plenty of restaurants, and speaking from first-hand experience, Trumps Grill does excellent steak and reasonably priced wine, and the Butcher’s Shop and Grill ditto, although prices are a little higher higher and the menu and wine list much more extensive at the latter. The Oxtail is to die for!

I would stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank benmychree
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your precious time and sharing your service experience with us. Guest feedback is very important to us and value your comments and take very serious. I have noted your comment regarding the breakfast service and the time it took fo your Omellette to be served which is unaccpetable. I have shared your comment with our Food and Beverage Manager for him to address and to avoid the similar service shortfall in future.

Once agai, thank you for your valued feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future

Kind regards,