“all right but not fabulous, especially for the price”

InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
San Francisco
“all right but not fabulous, especially for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stopped here to rest for two nights after very long flights on our first trip ever to Africa, before moving on to our real destination.
The hotel was clean and comfortable, the room spacious, and the staff arranged for drop-offs to the GauTrain back to the airport (conveniently two long blocks away, if you need to walk). They also arranged for an excellent minibus tour of Soweto on request. The hotel is next to malls with restaurants and upscale shops (though these close on Sunday).
On the other hand, the staff service was uneven, with some mistakes made that were surprising in this price range. And the food was all right, but nothing special.
There is heavy police presence in the hotel and mall vicinity and around the aiport; this may be excessive, but it is true that we experienced a theft even in the brief time we were at an airline's lounge at the airport.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
Dar Es Salaam Region, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

We were in JHB to see the Cold Play concert. The Intercontinential experience just topped the whole weekend. We had asked for a double and checked-in to find two singles but the hotel staff sorted that problem out in about 15 - 20 minutes and we had a Kingsize double :-) The room was huge, as was the bathroom and the walk in cupboard. The view of the city is great and the blockout on the curtains mean that should you want to sleep the day away after a heavy evening - no problem. A epresso maker in the room means you can wake up to decent coffee. The food in the main retaurant was delicious. Staff were superb and very helpful

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking your most valued comments. It is through our guests feedback that the hotel management is made aware whether we are leaving and delivering our guests expectations. I really value your feedback and I am very pleased to hear that although you did not get the correct room type to what you have booked, but that the staff did manage to rectify the problem and thus making your stay a memorable experience.

On behalf of the management and staff, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

This is a really fabulous hotel is a great area in Johanesburg. My boyfriend & I spent a weekend in Sandton Towers after a very busy business trip. I only booked our room on the day of our arrival by telephone. I explained that I would be spending my 40th Birthday with my boyfriend & that I would appreciate a nice room. The lady at reservations was so lovely. Upon arrival I was wished happy Birthday & introduced to the customer relations manager who then showed me our beautiful room. It was a corner room with a king size bed as requested & a fabulous bathroom. About 20 minutes after I arrived, a complimentary birthday cake & bottle of champagne was wheeled into our room. I can't express how touched I was as was my boyfriend when he arrived later that evening. The hotel booked an amazing steak house for us, whose name I unfortunately can't remember, but it is next door to a bar called Kathy's which was equally wonderful with one of the best live pub bands I have a ever heard!

My boyfriend & I were so tired when we arrived at Sandton Towers & we both slept like babies in our amazing king size bed & marshmallow like pillows!

The hotels spa is a short walk away through the sky-walk and I can't recommend it enough. I had a really wonderful massage & I floated back to our room!

The one & only tiny negative comment I have is that I kept badly knocking my toe off the HUGE brass door stopper behind the bathroom door! (cursing myself every time I did it!). If rubber could be fitted over them it would solve the problem.

In short, I can't wait to return to this hotel as they made my 40th birthday one to remember. To my regret I had forgotten to mention that my boyfriends birthday was also on the same day as me! Maybe we would have gotten an even better offer had I done so! :-)

Would I return to Sandton Towers? Without a shadow of a doubt!

Room Tip: Book over the phone, you'll have more chance of getting your room choice/any available deals.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Valued,

Thank you for taking your most prestigous time and giving us your most valued feedback. I am really pleased to hear that your stay was an unforgetable one.

On behalf of the management and staff, I wsih you a heatlhy and prosperous 2012

Looking forward to seeing at our prestigous hotel in the near future

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

The service and style that I have come to expect from the Intercontinental hotel brand the world over did not fail to impress. I was utilising my Ambassador membership stay for two nights and pay for one perk. I was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a corner room with more space at check in. The service and attention to detail by the eager and professional staff made our stay a joyous one. The Sally Williams Nougat, free refreshments and fruit platter added to the occassion. The only gripe was that we had to call housekeeping several times to turn down our room the one evening.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are really spacious.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Rather late response than never. Kindly accept my sincere apology for the late response

Thank you for your most valued feedback. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that the staff were most helpful and nothing was difficult or impossible to be done. I have also addressed the turn down servive issue with the respective department head

On behalf of the management and staff, I wish you a heatlhy and prosperous 2012
Looking forward to seeing you again at our hotel in the near future

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

From check in everything was excellent, a true five star treatment. I was traveling with my two daughters over the festive season. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. We had a problem with the DVD player in our room and they fixed it in no time. The staff is always willing to help. The food was excellent, I am a vegetarian and was a bit worried that the menu won't be too accommodative. But every time we ordered room service the chef was always willing to make anything I desired, even if it is not on the menu, that was a plus for me. And it is a good value for money. I would stay at this hotel anytime and would highly recommend it. The location is excellent especially if you like to shop, because the Sandton mall is just a walking distance.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Please kindly accpet my sincere apologies for the late response. I have been away and only came back to the office today.

Thank you for your valued feedback. I am very pleased to hear that your stay was excellent. It really through our guests feedback that we can be made aware of our service shortfalls and to improve on our service delivery.

On behalf of the management and staff, I wish you a healthy and prosperous 2012

Looking forward to seeing you our hotel in the near future

Paphos District, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Excellent location. Ideal for exploring the restaurants in Mandella square. Rooms are good and service excellent

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apoly for the late response.

I would like to thank you for taking your most valued time and giving us feedback on your stay at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that your stay was most enjoyable and unforgetable one. I really value your feedback as it makes us to be aware of our service shortfalls and to improve on service delivery

On behalf of the management and staff, I wish you and your loved ones a heathly and prosperous 2012

Los Gatos, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed Christmas night. The staff could not have been friendlier. The hotel was beautiful as were the room. They accomodated us with a late check out the next day to help with the time gap flying back to the states.They use an independent car service for airport pickup. That was very expensive and man was late by 15 minutes. Breakfast was more expensive than room serice dining-that was a surprise. We had steaks for dinner in room service and they were so tough you could hardly cut them. We didn't complain as the hour was late. The stay itself was quite satisfactory.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple