Michelangelo Hotel
$104
$80
SA Hotels
1,029 results
All reviewsnelson mandela squareleading hotels of the worldpiccolo mondoshopping mallhead conciergeindoor poolbeautiful hotelhigh teadirect accessluxury hotelrooms are spaciouscape townhotel restaurantsandton citytop classbusiness triplong flight
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Having stayed at Michelangelo after a fantastic stay at Cape Grace in Cape Town (see separate review), I was quite disappointed with the dated decor of this hotel. The TV picture kept going out, this was quickly repaired by a hotel technician, but speaks to the age of the room. The carpet was stained, pillows looked dingy. The location is nice and the shopping center is a welcomed reprieve from the room. This hotel clearly caters to business travelers and at times, I felt a bit out of place as a solo leisure traveller.

Hotel staff were very nice, but it's time for a renovation.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank jerseytravelfan
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We stayed here just one night after checking out, hurriedly,from La Palazzo at Montecasino. Our distress,after an appalling stay at that place, was such that the duty reception manager immediately placed us in the presidential suite for no extra charge !
The hotel, the management, the staff and the perfect situation causes us to conclude that this is, by far, the finest hotel in Joburg, and one of the best we have stayed at anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My husband and I stay frequently at the Michelangelo as we travel often to SA. the hotel itself is lovely, but the lack of a spa and an outdoor pool is unacceptable in a 5 star hotel these days.

The pool is a small round indoor pool with very little seating. There is a double door leading outsdie to a small lawn that doubles as a sundeck. Its fine if you don't mind loud construction sounds, dirt and sand flying by you, and literally scores of construction workers looking at you as you sunbathe.

I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel without a full service spa. This hotel really needs to spruce up it's offerings.

The only reason we continue to stay is my husband's corporate rate.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sheilab56
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Stayed there for 7 nights in July 08. Well located on Mandela Square in Sandton so plenty of restaurants around. Indian and Thai next door both good but highest recommendation goes to Butcher Shop on the square. Top class.

Staff are good but sometimes try a bit too hard (presentation of breakfast involves 1-2-3 Voila!).

Rooms are good size, as are bathrooms.

If staying on business, internet access isn't great. Other minor problem was that I had emailed asking for an early checkin. No one bothered to reply and needless to say I had to wait a couple of hours before getting checked in, although they did give me access to a changing room with shower.

Would happily stay again and recommend to anyone.

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank sim0ns
Reviewed May 4, 2008

The hotel is honestly very nice! But I chose a non-smoking room, and the guest in the room next to mine was chain smoking even though we were on a non-smoking floor. He was suffering from jet lag probably because he smoked all night and I could smell every cigarette because it was coming through the linking doors.

I complained four times and nothing was done. The fifth time I spoke to the manager himself. He told me that there is nothing that he can do, if the guest chose to smoke in a non-smoking room, they could not stop him.

I didn't insist, but it surely ruined my stay there. I could only imagine the person that would take the neighbour room right after the chain-smoker has left!

Stayed: May 2008