I was a bit apprehensive about the hotel as I read quite a few bad reviews here and on agoda. But it appears that the hotels in Johannesburg have inconsistent service anyway.
I stayed in the hotel during the week of Nelson Mandela's memorial service. The hotel was fully booked as many VIPs were also staying in the hotel. Security was stepped up and they had security guards on every floor. Despite the busyness, I was greeted by very friendly front desk people, especially the Executive Head Concierge whose name is Archie Christodoulides. He even gave me his card and told me to look for him if I need any assistance during my stay. Everyone else I encountered were also very friendly... maybe apart from the attendant at the gym who is sulky to everyone anyway.
The room is very spacious and is very comfortable. It's not exactly luxurious like but it's still very nice. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom is clean.
The location is great. It's 5 mins walk to the Gautrain and the hotel is attached to the mall. There are plenty of shops and restaurants for you to choose. Pappas, Walnut Grove and Pigalle are excellent.
My eyes were irritated since day 1 and after a few nights, they got really bad whenever I am in the hotel - so much so that I will tear profusely even in the middle of the night - but will be ok when I am at the office, so my guess it that the the carpet probably needs thorough cleaning.
The bathtub is not really spick and span. There were stains that look like stubborn stains in it. The hotel needs to get a professional cleaner in to clean it properly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A member of the Leading Hotels of the World, The Michelangelo Hotel guarantees visitors a five-star stay whether spending the day to attend a conference, staying overnight or merely visiting for a breakfast, lunch or dinner meeting. The splendor of the hotel's Renaissance architecture in the heart of Sandton's business and leisure district, as well as the service excellence and world-class facilities on offer, sets The Michelangelo apart from its competitors. Built around a central atrium, guests enjoy the decadent use of space which gives the feeling of grandeur in an area where space is at a premium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Michelangelo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Michelangelo Hotel Johannesburg
- Michelangelo Hotel Sandton, Greater Johannesburg