“Friendly staff, great location”
Review of Michelangelo Hotel

Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was a bit apprehensive about the hotel as I read quite a few bad reviews here and on agoda. But it appears that the hotels in Johannesburg have inconsistent service anyway.

I stayed in the hotel during the week of Nelson Mandela's memorial service. The hotel was fully booked as many VIPs were also staying in the hotel. Security was stepped up and they had security guards on every floor. Despite the busyness, I was greeted by very friendly front desk people, especially the Executive Head Concierge whose name is Archie Christodoulides. He even gave me his card and told me to look for him if I need any assistance during my stay. Everyone else I encountered were also very friendly... maybe apart from the attendant at the gym who is sulky to everyone anyway.

The room is very spacious and is very comfortable. It's not exactly luxurious like but it's still very nice. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom is clean.

The location is great. It's 5 mins walk to the Gautrain and the hotel is attached to the mall. There are plenty of shops and restaurants for you to choose. Pappas, Walnut Grove and Pigalle are excellent.

Look outs:
My eyes were irritated since day 1 and after a few nights, they got really bad whenever I am in the hotel - so much so that I will tear profusely even in the middle of the night - but will be ok when I am at the office, so my guess it that the the carpet probably needs thorough cleaning.

The bathtub is not really spick and span. There were stains that look like stubborn stains in it. The hotel needs to get a professional cleaner in to clean it properly.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 4004. It overlooks the Nelson Mandela square - nicer view compared to my colleague...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ruoz
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear ruoz,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. We appreciate all guests feedback as it allows us to improve standards where necessary.
Your comments have been noted and a follow up will be done to ensure the issues are resolved.
We are glad to hear you also had positive experiences while staying with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Michelangelo Hotel

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Always my first choice in Jo'Burg, it feels like a safe haven in this hectic city. The rooms are kitted out and very comfortable, even luxurious, the gym is small but nice and the restaurants and bars within the complex are very good. Step just outside the entrance to a fabulous Indian restaurant called Bukhara and beyond into a decent shopping mall and Nelson Mandela Square. The location is perfect, particularly for first Jozy visitors.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AJ J
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear AJ J
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate your time taken to review our hotel.
I am happy to hear that you feel comfortable and safe while staying in The Michelangelo Hotel.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Good
Location is excellent - while you have breakfast you are overlooking Nelson Mandela Square. If you love to shop, the hotel directly connects to Sandton City meaning you dont have to walk outside at all, you an shop till you drop and quickly dash back to your room and drop your goodies. You also have access to all the Sandton City restaurants within a few minutes walk. I loved the location.

The Bad
The room decor is 1982. It is really gaudy, and really ornate. The bathroom has a mirror next to the tub, opposite the toilet, so you watch yourself as you sit on the potty. Why would anyone want this?
I really really disliked the over the top 80's style thick carpets. The rooms need to be updated ASAP.

The Ugly
The car service attached to the hotel has a fleet of cars which do not have GPS! In this day and age, you have drivers having to call back to the main office to get directions. In other cases driver is sent with a printed map, so he drives and LOOKS at map at the same time. I complained to the manager of the shuttle service and he retorted that he did have GPS - He keeps it in the office and expects the drivers to call him for directions ! This means if you have a business meeting (which I did), in a location that the driver doesnt already know (which he didnt), you are going to most certainly be very late and very frustrated! My driver pulled over the side of the road 4 times to call the office for directions! It is unacceptable that the hotel allows this type of vendor to operate within there premises, totally unacceptable. I have included a PHOTO of my driver as he drives and looks at printed map simultaneously.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Agatha G
Thank you for your detailed review posted on Trip Advisor and for your comments on our convenient location. We appreciate your feedback. Our rooms were refurbished in 2009 and we regret that our Renaissance styled hotel rooms are not to your liking.
We have conveyed your comments to our outsourced transport company for corrective action to be taken and express our apologies for this.
The Michelangelo team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon and we wish you a pleasant holiday season.
General manager

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel has all the old world charm and quality of a "leading hotel of the world" - and also a very warm and friendly feel. I could not fault this hotel in any way - services, room, comfort, food, location are all 5 star. I stayed here for 2 nights with my teenage children and we had such a great time - my son especially loved making friend with the valets and bell boys. Free shuttle bus from/to train station, next door access to great shopping malls and the friendly restaurants in Nelson Mandela Square.

Room Tip: Rooms are very large with a king bed and a sofa.
1  Thank Enid24

Dear Enid24
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. We are thrilled you and your children enjoyed your experience with us and took the time to get to know some of our friendly staff. We hope to see you again soon and wish you and your family well over the holiday season.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

In general was good to the great staff, who are eager to make us feel comfortable. all staff!!! it is relatively an avarage room for a huge price . Location is GREAT!
advantages:
1.Breakfast one of the BEST comparing to Hotels of this rank.
2. All staff was fantastic.
3. Hotel location is great!
4. Beautiful decors.
5. Linen/towels are very clean
6. supply of small bottles of drinking water.
7. Great ROYAL atmosphere.
8. Free wireless Internet access
9. good quality toiletries and hot drinks.

Area for improvement:
1. RESTAURANT: after about 2 years or so, we looked forward dining again in the restaurant. We even set on the same table. The food was NOT nice at all, Price was UNACCEPTABLY high and was NOT any value for money. In fact it "sucks"! I am a regular reviewer on TRIPADVISOR -This review serves to caution other diners. Alternative dining choices are great around Sandton city and Mandela Square. We made a terrible mistake eating in Piccolo Mundo. The chef seem to be a different one.and it was a SUPER DISAPPOINTMENT!!!
1.1 Restaurant was dead empty, We were the only table served for the night (5 people). after not enjoying our meal , we wondered what dinners knew ,that we didn't? Such a shame, it used to be the best, it was a very good menu, that was changed, portions were bigger and food was out of this world. no longer exists in this way!
2. checking in late and checking out early never gave us a chance to even to see the SPA and facilities.
3.wireless internet is limited to only one device and it is also disconnected early in the morning. such an hotel should not make guests lives too difficult with regards to essential services.
4. overly priced, don't think to comeback again. room was too small and disappointing for such a price.
5 i booked 1 Superior Double bed - Fully Prepaid and ended up in a small room with 2 single beds. (this was "rectified") by "connecting beds with sheets.

great place for business . the advantages are by far greater and if you can afford it, by all means -enjoy this great place. just make sure you eat your dinner outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking at the square. if you are a non smoker, ask in advance a smoke free roo...

Dear LaurenceA
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is important to us and allows us the opportunity to improve and refine our product where necessary. Your comments have been conveyed to the relevant managers for immediate corrective action and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Wishing you and your family a peaceful holiday season.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at the michelangelo with my mum and my toddler daughter for one night. From the minute we stepped trough the door the service was impeccable. The room is very spacious with anything you could want, view of the square very nice at night.

We dined at picollo mondo, the in house restaurant and found the price of the food to be very reasonable and the service was again excellent.

Breakfast was amazing with a huge variety of food, only wish i had more space in my tummy.

We want to thank everyone for a fantastic stay and we will definitely return soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Natasha S
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and for your wonderful comments regarding our service and breakfast. We look forward to having you and your family as our guests again and wish you a peaceful holiday season.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Beautifully maintained property with excellent service (including security personnel at times), and generous buffet breakfast. Nice location adjacent to the Nelson Mandela Square mall and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear PeterHwdCA
Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. Our location is indeed very convenient and we are happy to hear you found our service to be excellent as this is what we constantly strive towards.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind Regards