“One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in”
Review of Michelangelo Hotel

Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I'll make this simple for you, if you're on holiday or traveling on business and this hotel is in your budget I'd get this booked. It's definitely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The building looks impressive on the outside but is spectacular on the inside.

I got upgraded, and had a balcony in my room which was cool. The room was huge with a bathroom not much smaller, great bed and pillows.

The breakfast buffet looked good, but I ordered off the menu and it was one of the best eggs benedicts that I've ever had. I was very disappointed that I didn't have time the second morning for a repeat, so I took some pastries etc.

There is also a great steakhouse downstairs, that isn't part of the hotel but is underneath the bar, and it's amazing, and I highly recommend it.

And finally, the staff there are excellent, from the drivers, to the manager of the drivers, to the concierge, to the desk staff, to the cleaners to the hotel manager. Probably the most attentive staff at any hotel I've ever been to.

Great experience staying there, can't fault it.

Room Tip: Go to the steakhouse which is not part of the hotel, but downstairs from the hotel bar, absolute qua...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Jigsinsy
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments posted on Trip Advisor. My team and I are thrilled with your feedback and we will continue to offer all our guests the highest possible levels of service.
We look forward to your return.
Roberto Rosa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tortola
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel is well placed and whilst dated it is rather opulent in appearance. Rooms are large with a sunken living area and bathrooms are a very good size.

Service is a problem though. Having arrived from the US side, I had trouble going to sleep until very late. Room service showed up at 8 am on Saturday and 830 am on Sunday and repeatedly rang the door bell until I actually got up and told them to go away. By contrast the turn down service generally showed up after 8 pm. Then during the week I was woken up at 6am with a take away breakfast pack I did not order. I would not expect this from a 5* hotel. I will not be staying here again. I stayed at the Intercontinental at Sandton last year which was much better.

• Stayed October 2013
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Marianne R
Thank you for your review.
After your meeting with Guest Relations yesterday, your areas of concern were immediately conveyed to the relevant managers and corrective action was taken. We apologise for you being woken up at 8am over the weekend however as discussed with you, you did not place the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door which is there for your convenience and privacy. Had the sign been on the door you would not have been disturbed by Housekeeping or any other department.
Kind Regards
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our "Business Group" stayed at this hotel for 1 night on our way back home from a business meeting in Sun City. The hotel was absolutely a pleasure to stay in. The buffet dinner and buffet breakfast for our group was absolutely fabulous. My wife, of course, and some of her friends had to go to the adjacent mall for shopping while there. Personally, I'm not a shopper, so I just stayed in and enjoyed the room. Free WIFI was available for us, not sure if that is normal or just for our group, but it was very useful.

My only one complaint, is that sometimes they are too attentive. In the evening a little after 9 PM while my wife was out shopping with her friends, I decided to retire early from a long day of travel. There was a knock at the door which I chose not to answer as I was in bed. Housekeeping had already been there to turn down the bed. I heard the door open and a man and a woman entered. I assume they were staff checking on something but it was a little disruptive. Guess I should have put the "Privicy" notice on the door.

You can't go wrong staying at this hotel. It has everything, great food, attentive staff, and fine rooms/furnishings. Very satisfied with the hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't want hotel staff in your room, put the privacy notice on the door.
Dear Ken B
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
We are thrilled that you and your group enjoyed your time with us and that your wife and friends took advantage of the adjacent shopping mall, one of the biggest in the country!
We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Regards
Cologne Germany
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Again with the help of Trip Advisor confirming that this was the No.1 in Sandton, I booked this hotel which is of the "leading Hotels of the World" and was pleased I did so. From the very beginging the service was perfect, from being collected at the airport, to my 2 day stay at the hotel, and then being brought back to the airport, Very good restaurants nearby and how nice to see the high bronze statue of Nelson Mandela on the square named after him at the location of the hotel
The service and food at breakfast was outstanding.

Dear johnHCologneGermany
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back again soon to our Leading Hotel of the World.
cleveland, ohio
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was a very nice property with an excellent restaurant. The breakfast buffet was impressive including raw honeycomb. Our room was spacious and had all the amenities we needed. The whole hotel was elegant yet friendly. It had a very nice atrium with a bar and a separate bar/lounge and restaurant. There was an ATM. We were there as part of a tour and the hotel provided good service for our group in the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear kmcCleveland_Ohio
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback serves to further motivate our team to continue offering service excellence and striving for the highest possible levels of service. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay especially our breakfast with the raw honeycomb sourced from nearby farms.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind Regards
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights early in October during touring visit with a large group. Especially liked the service in restaurant at breakfast, the waiters are very attentive and friendly without being intrusive and there is plenty of choice to satisfy the biggest appetite. Overlooks Nelson Mandela Square and has shops and restaurants reached from escalators in the hotel so you don't have to travel far to shop or eat. Also very central to visit other places in and around Jo'burg.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Nelson Mandela Square - there's a bit of noise because it's a buz...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jenna1954
It's wonderful to see on your Trip Advisor review that we met and exceeded your expectations on your recent stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments.
We only ask that you visit us again in the near future where we can share our genuine hospitality with you once more.
Regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a night and found it lovely
It is ideally situated in Nelson Mandela square in the vicinity of great dining and shopping malls

The hotel decor and the rooms are very chic and nicely decorated

The breakfast was luxurious to say the least with a wife variety buffet

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Besanc0n
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor as well as the beautiful pictures you shared with fellow travellers. We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to more happy memories for you at The Michelangelo Hotel.