Gorgeous hotel, adjacent to the very large, modern, upscale Nelson Mandela mall. Many, many international gourmet restaurants adjoin (we went to the Portuguese one that adjoins, on the advice of a local friend and loved it). Don't venture out in the (or any Joburg) neighborhood, especially at night.
We only stayed 1 night and thought it was a rather long drive from the airport to there for that short stay. But once there we were very happy that it was arranged due to its safe location and nearby things to see (in the mall, which had several African art/souvenir shops as well as the standard fare of malls) and places to dine. Also, the drive there allowed us an overview of the city, including Soweto as a drive-by and hearing from the driver about life in the city vs where his wife and family lives in a village (many work away from their families in S Africa in order to be able to have money to survive).
Our room was average size, not overly large for 2 people. An odd bathroom setup with glass doors that seemed to interfere with the space inside when in use. Need to keep valuables locked even in this nice hotel, according to management.
In our 2 weeks in S Africa, their brunch was by far the top one of many great brunches. The buffet included anything imaginable as well as any gourmet coffees you could think up to order. All while overlooking the Nelson Mandela square with white linen tablecloths, etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A member of the Leading Hotels of the World, The Michelangelo Hotel guarantees visitors a five-star stay whether spending the day to attend a conference, staying overnight or merely visiting for a breakfast, lunch or dinner meeting. The splendor of the hotel's Renaissance architecture in the heart of Sandton's business and leisure district, as well as the service excellence and world-class facilities on offer, sets The Michelangelo apart from its competitors. Built around a central atrium, guests enjoy the decadent use of space which gives the feeling of grandeur in an area where space is at a premium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Michelangelo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Michelangelo Hotel Johannesburg
- Michelangelo Hotel Sandton, Greater Johannesburg