Arrival at the hotel was smooth, as was the check in process. I was booked into a deluxe room. These are larger then the standard rooms, with a sitting area consisting of a sofa, coffee table, and TV cabinet with mini bar and TV. This is a step down area from the main room. The deluxe rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the hotel, while the standard rooms are on the 4th and 5th floors. I was also given an Internet access card which enabled me to use the cable in the room to access Internet. This was very easy to use.
The bathroom is large, with a separate shower, bath, and closed of toilet, and single vanity. The Michelangelo Hotel uses their own branded bathroom products. There were plenty of towels.
There is a safe, but it is not large enough to fit a laptop. Newspapers are delivered daily, but in the afternoon.
The bed was a bit soft (I had twins pushed together), and the pillows were old lumpy cotton ones. There was only a blanket and no duvet. There is a desk with chair (not ergonomic office type).
The room is serviced twice a day, and the maids are very efficient, and thorough.
I asked for an iron and ironing board, and was told that the hotel does not provide these, and instead guests have to pay to have their clothes pressed (never come across that before).
Breakfast was served in the lounge area next to the restaurant. If you were having Continental breakfast, you had to sit in a separate area to where the hot breakfast guests sat. There was a reasonable spread cereals, breads, pastries, fruit, cheese, cold meats, smoked salmon and coffee’s/tea’s. Service was efficient.
The great thing about the hotel is it’s location, overlooking Nelson Mandela Square and adjacent to the Sandton Shopping Mall. Access to restaurants, café’s, etc., was fantastic.
I had stayed at this hotel 4 and 6 years ago, and nothing has changed. The rooms are in need of refurbishment, for both soft and hard furnishings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A member of the Leading Hotels of the World, The Michelangelo Hotel guarantees visitors a five-star stay whether spending the day to attend a conference, staying overnight or merely visiting for a breakfast, lunch or dinner meeting. The splendor of the hotel's Renaissance architecture in the heart of Sandton's business and leisure district, as well as the service excellence and world-class facilities on offer, sets The Michelangelo apart from its competitors. Built around a central atrium, guests enjoy the decadent use of space which gives the feeling of grandeur in an area where space is at a premium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Michelangelo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Michelangelo Hotel Johannesburg
- Michelangelo Hotel Sandton, Greater Johannesburg