I do like this hotel. A week after visiting Abu Dhabi and staying at the Emirates Palace it was great to be back at the Michelangelo. Whereas the EP has little atmosphere this place oozes it. But whereas the EP is stunning the Michelangelo remains a little tired.
Last year I wrote that the hotel needed freshening up in the pool and gym area. Whilst the former has been done the gym is still old, small and tired. The hotel and rooms are clean but not spotless. And the rooms above Reception area are noisy and I ask to be moved to a quieter part of the building.
This remains my default hotel in Joburg and I just love the location for the Gautrain and NM Square, staff and management are excellent, food and wines very good. Freshen up and expand the gym guys and tighten up the cleanliness to "spotless" and you will get 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A member of the Leading Hotels of the World, The Michelangelo Hotel guarantees visitors a five-star stay whether spending the day to attend a conference, staying overnight or merely visiting for a breakfast, lunch or dinner meeting. The splendor of the hotel's Renaissance architecture in the heart of Sandton's business and leisure district, as well as the service excellence and world-class facilities on offer, sets The Michelangelo apart from its competitors. Built around a central atrium, guests enjoy the decadent use of space which gives the feeling of grandeur in an area where space is at a premium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Michelangelo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Michelangelo Hotel Johannesburg
- Michelangelo Hotel Sandton, Greater Johannesburg