“I really want to give the Michelangelo 5 stars but it just falls short”
Review of Michelangelo Hotel

Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I do like this hotel. A week after visiting Abu Dhabi and staying at the Emirates Palace it was great to be back at the Michelangelo. Whereas the EP has little atmosphere this place oozes it. But whereas the EP is stunning the Michelangelo remains a little tired.

Last year I wrote that the hotel needed freshening up in the pool and gym area. Whilst the former has been done the gym is still old, small and tired. The hotel and rooms are clean but not spotless. And the rooms above Reception area are noisy and I ask to be moved to a quieter part of the building.

This remains my default hotel in Joburg and I just love the location for the Gautrain and NM Square, staff and management are excellent, food and wines very good. Freshen up and expand the gym guys and tighten up the cleanliness to "spotless" and you will get 5 stars.

Room Tip: Go to the Towers to use their excellent gym
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
MichelangeloSandton, Front Office Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2011

Dear SonnyCrock

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Michelangelo Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am glad to hear that we have become your "home away from home".

I acknowledge the concerns that you have raised and will bring these to the attention of our management.

The Michelangelo Hotel
135 West Street, Sandton, 2146

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed March 1, 2011

I stay at the Michelangelo at least once a year during my regular visits to Joburg. The hotel's location and free wi-fi make this an excellent business hotel. However with the opening of a number of new hotels in the last 2 years, the Michelangelo has been left playing catch up. Rooms are dated and facilities (pool area, gym and conference/ meeting facilities) need to be modernised.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank simbaonsafari
MichelangeloSandton, Front Office Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

Dear Simbaonsafari

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Michelangelo Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are in the process of building a health spa on the first floor of our Hotel, this process will also entail the upgrading our pool facilities.

Our Conferance rooms, II Paviglione has just recieved a soft refurbishment and we will be doing the same with L’Incontro.

The Michelangelo Hotel

Reviewed February 9, 2011

The staff were really helpful. I personally do not like renaissance decor but I have to say I was very comfortable. The only drawback was the teenager running the business centre 'didn't feel like it' so closed up early! The fitness centre was woefully lacking. The elliptical machine I worked out on creaked and jolted my bones. The food was amazing though, I had room service the whole week and it was plentiful, well-prepared and served in a delightful manner.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Dear Firefoxglove

I have addressed your concerns to the Management of the Business Centre, who will investigate the conduct of their staff.

I am sure that Chef will be delighted with your remarks on our food!

Michelangelo Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2011

I went to the High Tea in the Piccolo Mondo at the Michelangelo. We were expecting to get the normal three tiered dish on the table. Well, not this High Tea. There was a full on buffet of delectables that we were invited to sample, eat as much as you want. The buffet was continually replenished. Cherry on top was the mini chocolate fountain with fruit and the best sweet strawberrys. No restriction on the tea, coffee or hot chocolate either. The service was impecable right from the booking with Kate Frazer to the silver service staff waiting on the tables. We spent a wonderful afternoon with friends and family , accompanied by lovely music played on a grand piano. The price R125.00 per head. Less if you go during the week...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
38  Thank jukskei
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Stayed there for a few nights in August - it's location is very convenient if you're doing business in Sandton. (Would prefer Wescliffe with it's relaxed bar by the inifinity pool, but that's miles away).

Linked by a passage to the shopping mall with a few good restaurants (try the Indian), which is very convenient.

Rooms are spacious, although not really my style (but still very comfy). Free wi-fi, very good room service (their omeletes are excellent!). A good choice if you need to stay in Sandton.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I'm writing this from my room at the Michelangelo Hotel. I'll start off by saying I generally don't let things get to me but there's a point where at $500 per night I expect some form of basic service.

We are staying for one night after a week at the Mount Nelson in Cape Town (which was brilliant). I booked two rooms for me and my friend at the hotel because of all the great reviews and figured why not enjoy a great hotel for a night? We arrived late in the afternoon and check-in was fine. We get to our room and there is a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and our key doesn't work (the second room was fine). The bellhop (who was lovely) was very confused by what was going on. He called downstairs while we waited and about 5 mins later came back and said we need to be moved to another room. So off the bat something was up. We get to our other room and things are fine BUT we don't have keys... and we were told that we need to go down and get our own key and that no one from the staff could bring it up to our room. After a rather strange screw up you think they would step up and just bring us a new key.

So we went downstairs to get another set of keys. Got those and decided to go to the mall. Two hours later come back to our NEW room and the NEW keys don't work. At this point we are exhausted and have to go back down to the front desk. We mentioned that this was a rather annoying recurrence given that the first room was either broken or occupied and before we finish the front desk starts telling us how the first room was not occupied. So after two continuous screw ups the front desk staff has the audacity to argue and try to tell us they did nothing wrong even though we didn't ask for anything but just pointed out our continued issues with getting into rooms at the property.

Lots of things can be dismissed and we've stayed at same low level hotels where we don't expect much but at a place that is $500 a night and claims to be a member of "the Leading Hotels of the World" I am shocked at how un-friendly the front desk staff is. You assume their job would be to make customers happy and even if the room wasn't occupied the proper response would have been "I'm sorry for the inconvenience we'll resolve this immediately" instead of arguing and then just walking away.

It seems the staff here has never worked at a top tier hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
10  Thank yuriNYC
Reviewed December 23, 2010

The Michelangelo is located in upscale Sandton, the new Central Business District for Johannesburg. The hotel is located next to one of South Africa's largest and nicest shopping malls so there is lots of shopping, a movie theater, and plenty of dining within an easy walk. The only thing that bothered me about the hotel was its overly ornate decor (as one person put it, "it look sas if it were decorated by Donald Trump.")

A few tips: One, the gym and pool in the hotel are awful. However, as a guest you can walk next door to the Michelangelo Towers and use their much nicer pool and health club. Two, the hotel is one block from the new high speed train to the airport.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business