“An "African standard" hotel in good area of JNB”

The Westford Hotel, Sandton
Ranked #42 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a budget African standard hotel in the rich area of Johannesburg. Location is just perfect. Some hundred meters down the road from Gautrain station. Hotel room might look a bit rundown for western standard, but this is the real African feeling! Most guests are African. The bed is comfortable. Staffs are extremely nice. Many people complain about buffet breakfast. I agree that this is not average for western standard, but for this price I would not complain anything. At least they have someone to cook fresh omelette! I think this hotel is value for money in this area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DonRome

Reviewed July 12, 2013

An outstanding hotel to stay for business traveller and with family. I donot know why so may negative reviews are given for this hotel. Let me be very specific
- Hotel is clean and hygenic
- Safe place to stay
- Good break fast
-Staff at reception is good
- Rooms are spacious

Incase you are looking for budget hotel at price less than USD 70 then just book this one. I stayed in suite .
Its walking distance from raddison hotel or standton mall . Overall the best place to stay

Room Tip: go for suite
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank panditrao
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Westford was a nice surprise in Johannesburg. It is really close to the Sandton city shopping mall.
The rooms are clean, spacious and the staff is also very friendly and helpful.
Only problem i found with the place is that they charge for the internet at a very exorbitant rate. In this day and age, I believe a free wireless internet connection is right up there as having a clean hotel room and bathroom.
All in all, it was a nice experience and would definitely recommend it for the cost conscious traveller.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Rooms are well priced, very good breakfast and within walking distance to the Gautrain and Nelson Mandela Square. A bar is located right on the premises. Leave your laptop at home and use their computer.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Magnum53
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Oh dear. As a seasoned world traveler I made a rookie mistake. I really wanted to kick myself. I sent my flight details to Worldmate and they then suggest hotels to you. Instead of booking into a City Lodge as I normally do I made the mistake of selecting this hotel from the list suggested by Worldmate. In an effort to make myself look less like an idiot I will say in my defence that the photo's of the hotel made it look quite pleasant. Oh dear, I've just admitted to a second rookie mistake, never believe the photo's. So what was wrong with it? First impressions count right? So when one walks up to the main entrance and sees the paint on the door looking old, and chipped, and this sad state of affairs carries through into the lobby, one gets worried. My title eludes to an old 80's song, I think it was released around the same time this hotel was last painted and refitted. Yes the paint was old and in places chipped, yes the carpets were ancient and no amount of vacuuming would clean them, they need replacing, everywhere, but they still employ quite old technology too. For example, my room key was an actual key, when last did you receive a key to your room? Inside my room is where it got really nasty. For starters it failed my barefoot test miserably. For those of you who are reading a review of mine for the first time my barefoot test is a simple one. I rate the cleanliness of my room on whether or not I feel comfortable walking around barefoot. In this room I did not want to even undress, I wanted to get into bed fully clothed, in a hazmat suit. Some specifics - the paint was old and badly chipped in places, the linen and towels looked older than me, and I'm 41, one of the towels still had stains on it, luckily the other looked clean so when I washed my hands I could actually dry them, the TV was one of those old, large, tube type boxes, the furniture was old, and dirty. I tried to clean the cushion on my chair before sitting on it, but without luck, I then tried turning the cushion over and the underside was worse. I wished I had packed shower shoes as there was no way in hell I was going to stand barefoot in that shower. It is a pity as it is well located; more a pity because the two ladies at reception were the two best assets this hotel has. They would do well in the City Lodge group. In fact, they were so nice that I almost didn't write this review. Did I stay there, no way! After entering my room I opened my MacBook and made an online reservation at City Lodge Katherine Street, see my review. I then walked out. There was no way I was going to stay there. I have stayed in cleaner, more modern backpacker establishments. If you like old, grubby, what some might call "budget" accommodation then be their guest. If you take a daily bath or shower and have painted your home in the last ten years then go somewhere else as you will be, at best, disappointed, and, at worst, disgusted.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank PTCooper
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hi, My boss and I were booked into the The Westford Hotel on the 11 March and the 12 March by the owner of this page. Linda Ellis. However much to our dismay we only spent a total of one hour before leaving without even requesting a refund and booking into the Garden Court Morningside which was a welcome relief. The Westford was so below standard I would not advise anyone to go there. The aircon didn't work, there were stains on my glass table, the Television unit is older than me, you could hear every activity taking place in the room next door to me. I did not feel safe at all. If you looking for a cheap hotel and don't care about your safety then go to the Westford.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Linda E
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had three days in Jo'burg at the end of our vacation in South Africa. This hotel is very well priced for the location. The room was big and clean, the bathroom huge. The breakfast is really poor, but then, one can beat the price of the room! Staff was friendly, the girl at breakfast gave me the impression she has to eat the breakfast she dishes out and this is the reason for her sour face... I can recommend this for a budget priced stay at a safe location

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family