Reading reviews posted on this site has held me in good stead on my travels,unfortunately i knew nothing of this site prior to my visit here. Favorable first impressions , lovely lobby , reception area even the rooms.
On arrival i gave them the printed details of my stay,next morning at breakfast i was presented with a 300rand bill(approx £25) i had to return to my room to show them my confirmation but they still refused to allow us to leave,i had to pay the bill then claim it back at reception.Note this booking had been made directly with Protea who own the hotel.
On returning to our room from dinner (next door The bull Run excellent food and staff) we found our belongings had been stolen , money, jewellery etc , Dealing with South African police is an ordeal not recommended but was preferable to dealing with the duty manager here.Despite admitting an unauthorised entry to the room had been made by a member of staff he was only interested in how we would pay our bill since our belongings had been stolen, his general attitude was unbelievable in the circumstances and how he managed to get this job with his customer service skills is beyond me,this clearly rubbed off on much of his staff who too were rude unhelpful and not very good at their job,There were a few exceptions to this , one of the reception girls was very nice and embarressed this could happen to visitors to her country.While the building itself was excellent it matters little if the staff do not match it , i have posted many reviews from all over the world on this site but this is the only time i have given a terrible rating, i accept things can get stolen anywhere but the way this hotel dealt with it is what made the difference.I contacted Protea on my return to the UK who responded with a much as expected reply offering me a free nights stay if i returned,an offer i will certainly not take them up on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton on Maude Street, in Sandton, is located in Johannesburg's economic heartland. The hotel's charming colonial theme is accentuated with wooden elements and delicate floral accents. Each of the 330 classically-styled rooms make guests feel as though they never left home - with a king-size bed, LCD television, electronic safe and a full en-suite bathroom with a walk-in shower. Business executives are catered to with a desk, office chair and international plug points. Complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi is accessible throughout the hotel and the Wi-Fi station situated in the lobby provides convenience for guests requiring instant access to the internet. The English countryside atmosphere defines this four-star hotel as a little bit of country in the heart of Sandton. Birdsong makes guests forget that they are in a bustling metropolis. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Sandton Convention Centre and the city's most exclusive shopping mall are a short stroll away. A complimentary shuttle to and from the Gautrain station makes the Balalaika easily accessible. Whether it is for business or leisure, the central location and warm hospitality of the Protea Hotel Balalaika are unrivalled, making it your first and only choice when staying in Johannesburg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Johannesburg
- Balalaika Hotel
- Protea Hotel Balalaika
- Sandton Hotel Balalaika
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton Greater Johannesburg