I stayed at the Balalaika a couple of weeks ago and wow is it torn and worn!
My room had a foul smell of mildew and I found out why as soon as I took a shower as the water from the shower would run out onto the carpet in the room. I wonder for how long this had been going on?
We were a team staying at the hotel and all our rooms had flaws, some worse and some not so bad. One of the "not so bad" just had a malfunctioning heater so the room wouldn't warm up, thankfully the winter was not yet quite here. Another room had an aroma of cigar smoke, interesting in a non smoking room. We tried to change rooms but the hotel was fully booked so we had to do with these and just bear it.
Internet? It worked sometimes, and when it worked it was slow. Thankfully it is not included in the room rate and so expensive that most people will not have to realize how poor it is.
Was all bad?
No! The breakfast is really good and the restaurant has a great hamburger! The location is pretty good too!
Value for money? No. If it cost half it would be ok value but right now it is a waste of good money to stay here if you have other options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton on Maude Street, in Sandton, is located in Johannesburg's economic heartland. The hotel's charming colonial theme is accentuated with wooden elements and delicate floral accents. Each of the 330 classically-styled rooms make guests feel as though they never left home - with a king-size bed, LCD television, electronic safe and a full en-suite bathroom with a walk-in shower. Business executives are catered to with a desk, office chair and international plug points. Complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi is accessible throughout the hotel and the Wi-Fi station situated in the lobby provides convenience for guests requiring instant access to the internet. The English countryside atmosphere defines this four-star hotel as a little bit of country in the heart of Sandton. Birdsong makes guests forget that they are in a bustling metropolis. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Sandton Convention Centre and the city's most exclusive shopping mall are a short stroll away. A complimentary shuttle to and from the Gautrain station makes the Balalaika easily accessible. Whether it is for business or leisure, the central location and warm hospitality of the Protea Hotel Balalaika are unrivalled, making it your first and only choice when staying in Johannesburg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Johannesburg
- Balalaika Hotel
- Protea Hotel Balalaika
- Sandton Hotel Balalaika
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton Greater Johannesburg