Our weekend at Town Lodge was a series of unfortunate events made worse by unfriendly staff. On Friday afternoon the desk staff struggled to produce a convincing greeting upon check-in. The card-programing machines were down so we were not issued a room key and a staff member/guard had to escort us to our room each time we wished to enter.
On our way out to dinner on Saturday evening, we passed a staff member in the stairwell screaming at a guest - threatening to kick him out of the hotel - because he had only paid his deposit, not the full fair. The screaming staff member was highly intimidating and left us weary of interacting further with the staff.
Sunday morning, we were more than happy to be checking out. We brought our bags down to the lobby and asked to access the safe where we had stowed our passports. Guest safes are located behind a locked door in the lobby which the manager had to open on previous occasions because the desk staff key did not work. Unfortunately on this morning, even the manager's key did not work. We had a flight to catch and explained the urgency of the situation. After several failed attempts, the manager called her superior - she couldn't get a hold of him. Plan B was to offer us free accommodation, which we were not at all interested in, but reluctantly agreed to if the hotel covered the cost of rescheduling our flight. As the manager began to call the airline, her superior called back saying he could be at the lodge in 20 minutes. So we waited. Fortunately the superior's key worked immediately, time stood still and we were able to make our flight. But the whole experience was very unsettling.
The two redeeming factors for Town lodge are: that the rooms are clean and comfortable, and that the last manager we dealt with (who could not access the safes) was sincerely apologetic.
We will not be staying here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A patio overlooking the swimming pool makes the hotel a relaxing spot in the hub of Sandton. Situated within close proximity to the M1 motorway with easy access to all major routes, 3 minutes drive to the shopping centres of Sandton City and Village Walk and a 30 minute drive from O.R.Tambo International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Cancelon, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive Hotel Sandton
- Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive Greater Johannesburg