“Clean affordable rooms, disappointing service”

Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Tulare, California
“Clean affordable rooms, disappointing service”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Our weekend at Town Lodge was a series of unfortunate events made worse by unfriendly staff. On Friday afternoon the desk staff struggled to produce a convincing greeting upon check-in. The card-programing machines were down so we were not issued a room key and a staff member/guard had to escort us to our room each time we wished to enter.

On our way out to dinner on Saturday evening, we passed a staff member in the stairwell screaming at a guest - threatening to kick him out of the hotel - because he had only paid his deposit, not the full fair. The screaming staff member was highly intimidating and left us weary of interacting further with the staff.

Sunday morning, we were more than happy to be checking out. We brought our bags down to the lobby and asked to access the safe where we had stowed our passports. Guest safes are located behind a locked door in the lobby which the manager had to open on previous occasions because the desk staff key did not work. Unfortunately on this morning, even the manager's key did not work. We had a flight to catch and explained the urgency of the situation. After several failed attempts, the manager called her superior - she couldn't get a hold of him. Plan B was to offer us free accommodation, which we were not at all interested in, but reluctantly agreed to if the hotel covered the cost of rescheduling our flight. As the manager began to call the airline, her superior called back saying he could be at the lodge in 20 minutes. So we waited. Fortunately the superior's key worked immediately, time stood still and we were able to make our flight. But the whole experience was very unsettling.

The two redeeming factors for Town lodge are: that the rooms are clean and comfortable, and that the last manager we dealt with (who could not access the safes) was sincerely apologetic.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Standard town lodge/city lodge fare. Room was comfortable, sizable enough. Had a desk where i could work comfortably. Large shower cubicle, good water pressure. Obviously well located for work. Breakfast was plentiful, check in, check out, baggage storage all very easy and well managed. Ordered room service thru Sam at the restaurant, arrived quickly and easily. Dont need more for a business trip, will continue to use.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Our double room (nr 170) was clean, but very small (not enough space for 4 suitcases) and the bathroom only had a shower, no bath. The high cost didn't even include breakfast. We stayed at The Westford Hotel, Sandton a few nights prior and found this Town Lodge a disappointment after a great experience at The Westford. Highly likely that we won't stay at a Town Lodge again.
There was an important rugby match in Johannesburg the night we stayed at this lodge, which is why I believe the price was elevated. Feel a bit ripped off.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Quazilogic
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The hotel was very busy when we stayed there during the FIFA world cup, thus I had to accept a smoking room. It was ok though. The rooms are quite dinky, brown and dated. All credit to maintenance staff: cleaning was top class.

It was sheer cold that week we were there, so the heater was really needed. The hotel is protected with gates and security.

Walking distance to Sandton/Nelson Mandela Square. Hotel does not feature any restaurants. Walking direction 2 NMS: when coming out from gates, go right about 2 robots (that's what they call intersections) after KFC @ McD and take a left. Walk 7 mins, pass Hilton and then turn right and walk another few mins. Know it's stupid and nothing I would do again, but I walked alone several times during late nights. Taxis are sheer expensive in SA. Paid 60-70R for a drive from hotel up to NMS. The hotel have some drivers (nice Serbian guys) working for them. Can warmly recommend The Butcher Shop & Grill. Touristic yes, but still worth it!

We encountered some mess with our reservations, but Elizabeth @ the front desk really made a difference to work out the situation. In fact, all staff are very charming and helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank svensktiger
dubai
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I went to Joburg on a business trip just for 2 days. and I did choose to stay in Town Lodge only for being it close by to my meeting place and budget. I checked in on 24th Jan and checked out on 26th Jan 2010. I found this lodge a very good and safe place for short stays. Its money's worth at that cheap cost! It was just $87/- a night. The interiors are very well maintained. Rooms arr quite big to accommodate 2 persons and have all basic needs like TV, tea/coffee maker, etc. with clean surroundings and hygienical toiltes/bathrooms.
I would difinitely love to stay there next time in April when I go to Joburg. Thumbs up for a value for money hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
New York, New York
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I had a one night layover in Johannesburg on the way to Durban. (I'm a comedian and was performing in Durban.) I'm always suspicious of people who are trying to give you taxi rides from the airport, but I met a very nice fellow named Morris at Johannesburg airport. Morris recommended this hotel, and it was a bit of a hike to get to this hotel from the airport.

The price was surprisingly reasonable. The guy at the front desk laughed at all my jokes, which is always a good sign. The main thing I need when I'm on the road is quiet, and this hotel was definitely that.

The best part, however, was that I accidentally left my cell phone in my room, and the maid was kind enough to turn it in even though this represented a month's salary for her. I gave her a huge tip and she was beside herself with joy. So was I, as you can imagine!

The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful also.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Kind, helpful, friendly staff, security, quiet.
  • Disliked — Paid Internet access but all hotels in South Africa seemed to be this way.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank calrocker
Utah
Reviewed November 26, 2005

I'm a middle age woman and I travelled alone to South Africa and needed someplace safe, and comfortable. This hotel fit the bill. I stayed there two nights. The staff were very friendly and exceptionally helpful. There is no restaurant, although they serve a generous buffet breakfast in an attractive space, and breakfast was included in my room price. There is a free, gated/secured parking lot. The hotel is in a quiet suburb. I did not have a car, and there are no restuarants close by, (although there was a McDonald's and a KFC within walking distance) but there was an extensive "room service" menu, which I ordered from. Various local restaurants deliver to the hotel- cheaply and quickly. It was a good alternative.

The room was clean, although not large- would have been a squeeze for two. The bathroom was small but adequate for one person. There was internet access in the lobby, and a small bar, too.

Not luxurious but good value for money and I would stay there again.

3 Thank ramblingranny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Glenalmond Hotel Sandton
Courtyard Hotel Sandton
Courtyard Hotel Sandton
#21 of 47 in Sandton
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Stree...
#148 of 223 in Greater Johannesburg
Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton

Been to Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive? Share your experiences!