“Enoyable experience”

City Lodge Hotel Bryanston
Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed for business course close by. My room was warm, clean, basic and included a tv with a few channels of DSTV. Staff are friendly and the large lounge area at the entrance provided some meal options untill 9 or 10. Alternativethe lounge is a place to hangout and watch tv. Gym room is very small. Full breakfast buffet for R105 and got a free muffin in the morning :) Great secure parking but the car entrance is hidden on the (not so well lit) side road and security will only open gates if you get close to the gate.

Room Tip: Choose rooms which are not close to the stairway coming from the lounge and entrance area otherwise...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I needed to be at Medfem clinic across the road at 6am for 3 days in a row, so we stayed at this hotel. It couldn't be more convenient. a 2 minute walk and you're in the doctor's rooms. The staff are absolutely wonderful and I don't believe the negative comment guy was at this hotel. We took our sons the 1st time and the second time, when we left them behind, the staff asked after them... by name! The rooms are spotless, there is tea and coffee in the room, good bathroom products, a glass of sherry (or 2) on arrival. The pool is clean (quite cold) and quiet and the staff come to you to offer you something to drink. They gave out chocolates and goodies for Valentine's day. Security is excellent, you're down the road from Spur and other restaurants, half a block from a fuel station and off Main Road. It's easy to find and even though the traffic is just out there, it's a quiet hotel. With all the foliage, the rooms are dark and we got wonderful nights' sleeps. I got a good discount booking on the internet. Otherwise, MedFem gives you a letter for discount. The gym is NOT open air, it's inside and more than adequate from what I saw. I didn't bother to gym. We didn't eat there, but the menu looked good. It's not a holiday destination, but if you find yourself inn Joburg, having to get to Fourways or Sandton, it's centrally located and we didn't have one problem with traffic in the area. Highly recommended. We'll only stay here if we're in Joburg again, which we will be.
My only suggestion in the rooms would be to raise the TV's up onto the walls. With them on the counter, other things and people keep getting in the way.

Room Tip: Ask for one upstairs facing the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jeannettemarais
Reviewed December 18, 2011

If you are looking for top quality lodging with a superb host and friendly staff, look no further. This is a lovely property with heated pool, open-air gym, beautiful vegetation and very comfortable and large rooms.

Room Tip: #5 is nice as it opens out onto the garden
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I was to stay here for several days but left after the first night. I had hired a driver for me and my family. After the first day he tried to extort more money by threatening me with violence. This took place in the lobby. The staff would not help. Even after asking for security 5 times they would not help. They even gave the guy our room number and let him know when we would be leaving to get a rent a car. The staff worked with this guy to help him figure out what and where we would be going. When we checked out the manager would not come out to talk about what happened. Very, very scary to be helpless in such a situation. Stay away from this place. They were very rude.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Dan H
CityLodgeJHB, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Bryanston, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

We are sorry to hear about this situation and will certainly be investigating the matter further with hotel management. It is always our aim to act in the best interests of our guests. However, it should be noted that we have no control over third party service providers.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

What isn't there to like about this place? The prices are good, the ambience is good, the food is good and the rooms and hotel are all in fair repair. Everything you need under one roof at the end of a long day when not in the mood to travel further afield. Even if you do travel this is in a good location for the Pretoria/Johannesburg area, with the proviso that the traffic can be bad. I would stay here again on business, just not my first choice for holiday, although that is not a negative, just this hotel is not (in my opinion) a holiday place.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Descent comfortable hotel with good room, good breakfast and acceptable service. Nice design of the dining hall as well as the seating area around the swimming pool. Great for an overnight stay on business.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2009

This is comfortable, well managed, and secure hotel. It's not fancy, but has everything that I have needed on my trips to Johannesburg. My rooms have always been well appointed, clean, with everything in working order. The breakfasts are truly excellent: the City Lodge probably provides the best value in a breakfast buffet in the area (Even if you're not staying here, stop by for breakfast!) I have stayed at the City Lodge Bryanston several times, and I anticipate staying again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Annabel's of Bryanston
Garden Court Morningside Sandton
Courtyard Hotel Sandton
Courtyard Hotel Sandton
#21 of 47 in Sandton

Been to City Lodge Hotel Bryanston? Share your experiences!