“Could be better, especially being a Hilton”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed February 8, 2010

One of the biggest concerns I have with a Hilton is that you never know what to expect. There are always high expectations from some of them and then a few always end up disappointing.
This one happens to be one of the disappointing ones. I've studied a bit in Jo'burg a few years ago so know the area quite well and as far as location is concerned this is the better place to be. Relatively safer, good access to shopping and not too far from anything else. The food was appalling and the service, while adequate was too dependant on tipping. The rooms were average, not much to write home about and by and large the hotel didn't leave too much of an impact on me.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed January 16, 2010

The hotel has a good location, very easy walking distance to all Sandton has to offer from restaurants to shopping - not that either of these two options are that great, but it is among the best South Africa has to offer. The hotel also offers a shuttle service for those without the common grace and fortitude to walk the streets.

The hotel is relatively clean and updated, however what is lacking here is the staff. Having traveled around southern Africa extensively, it is disappointing that a four star hotel in Sandton could not have better trained staff. There is a lot of staff around, they mean well, but they come off unpolished and unpleasant at times.

We were checking in early after having taken the overnight train from Cape Town and as a Diamond VIP I was due an upgrade. We were told the room was not ready even though it was clear the hotel was not busy at all - maybe 30% occupancy. So we said we would refuse the upgrade to get a room now . . . poof! The room is magically available. There was some kind of irritation I guess that we were checking in early so we were to be punished into waiting for check-in time.

The people here also seem to be scrounging for tips constantly, the staff was always wanting to help but it seemed there was a clear desire for a reach to the pocket. The breakfast buffet is decently good, the Executive Lounge is unpleasant, and the pool looks very nice with great views of Jozi.

In addition it should be noted that this is a major airline crew hotel, so you will have to deal with rude Delta Airlines personnel not just when you were on your plane but in the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I spent two weeks in SA, and experience too many disgusting attitude from the hotel staffs. but this Hilton sandton, is the best, as at this hotel, I finally see the staffs smile at the guest, saying hello etc. The hotel it self were huge enough, though their service were quite slow, but what do you expect, this is africa and this is hilton.

Would love to come back again one day.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beautifulmatters
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband & I stayed at the Hilton in Sandton for one night as we had booked a dinner & dance event for New Year's Eve. Upon check-in, the lady at the front desk was just going through the motions to get us checked in. Call me old fashioned, but I resent having to pay parking, when I am staying at the hotel! Our room was average - clean & comfortable. However, the bathroom amenities kit leaves much to be desired, not what I have experienced from other Hilton hotels. The poolside/bar service is dreadful to say the least. We waited forever for someone to ask us if we wanted something to drink while we were lounging at the pool and the sun was scorching. Eventually my husband went to search for someone to assist us in moving an umbrella and to get some towels for the pool. Drinks/cocktail service also very slow. We did however have a great dinner & danced to live music to bring in the new year. When we got back to our room just before 1am, we could view fireworks from our window, which was great. No water next to the bed or anyting at turndown though, just the covers turned down and the remote control popped on top. The buffet breakfast is average, nothing particularly special about it. On check-out the person at the frontdesk was not happy to be working on new year's day and you could see it. She was borderline rude and just couldn't care less. Oh, and did I mention that we had to carry our bags up ourselves and bring them down with us? So couldn't comment on the bellboy, as I don't know if there is one. For the price we paid, I won't be staying here again. Definitely not worth the Hilton name. The hotel also needs a bit of an upgrade and in terms of location, there are many other hotels with much better location, such as the Sandton Sun, which has access to the Sandton City Shopping Centre.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GroovyGalTraveller
Reviewed October 10, 2009

After researching numerous hotels in the Joberg area, we selected the Hilton. Two factors affected our choice 1) the reliabilty of the Hilton chain / the consistent standards they hold and 2) the price. Good and SAFE hotels in Joberg areas are much higher in price than many areas we have traveled overseas, however, the Hilton in Sandton was reasonably priced (under $200USD/nite). The location in the burbs was good about 30 minuted from the international airport by cab (about a $50-65 USD cost for transfer) and the hotel is near Nelson Mandela Square and the mall. There are plentyof restaurants around the hotel as well as plenty of shoppes. We felt relatively safe when walking even at night in this area. The Hilton itself is a very elegant hotel. The staff was very accomodating and attentive to our needs. The restaurant served great breakfasts and our room was very nicely appointed. The decor was wonderful and kept extremely clean. Towels and linens were soft and plush unlike at many upscale hotels there. The bed was comfortable and the noise level in the room was great, meaning we did not hear people in the hallways at night etc... Overall we really liked this hotel, and we would most likely stay here when we retunr if a room is available.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Third time here..and a risk after my last visit which was not a good experience. Suffice to say, hotel was efficient this time around. Room worked well and was larger than average with separate shower and bath. Did not attempt the restaurant after the awful meal last time. Hotel front-desk seems under-staffed at peak hours so expect delays in checking-in or out. Some inefficiencies occurred with the check-in desk but overall, I was pleased I could return to have a better experience.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2009

A modern business person's chain hotel. My friends' rooms were in need of redecoration and looking tired but, to be fair, there was signage that there is some decoration taking place. I had been upgraded to a suite, to my surprise, and this was in good condition. The room was maintained well during my stay. A fault with the electronic door lock was corrected quickly. There is access all areas.
My main disappointment rests with the quality of the food in the restaurant.
Having arrived mid-evening - around 9 pm, our first mistake was to head straight for dinner in the main restaurant without sufficient thought. Apart from a lack of staff, the carvery and salad bar seemed worn out and tired, so we went a la carte. Second mistake. Apart from a considerable wait for our meal to arrive, despite the lack of customers, when meals were presented, on both meat dishes the vegetables were cold and raw. The waiter claimed they were 'al dente' but raw is raw is raw, to my mind. One pasta dish had seemingly been left to stand and congeal but then reheated quickly to come to table. Disgusting. Three out of five meals inedible. When the meat dishes returned, the veal escalope had been prepared fresh but the vegetables were still cold and raw. Having been given the chance to recover a failure in service, I would expect a quality restaurant to pull out all the stops; shame. Having refused to pay the bill as presented, a manager did appear and put part of the difficulty down to the kitchen being busy with preparing room service meals. Tells you everything you need to know. Our bill was reduced. A first impression is a lasting impression.
Some friends from our tour group on another table experienced similar difficulties with cold and inedible food that they also returned.
By contrast, breakfast was a succees with a good choice of cereals, juices, cold meats and cheeses, bread rolls, croissants etc. The hot breakfast was serve yourself but there was a chef available for the different egg options, while keeping an eye open to ensure the kitchen was keeping up with demand.
Front desk staff were efficient and helpful, as were the bar staff. At times, the bar was under pressure but they coped as well as most that I encountered on this tour.
The shuttle service to Nelson Mandela Square was a little erratic but a taxi was not expensive.

• Stayed: June 2009