“Overall a good hotel”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I have stayed here a total of 5 times during the past 9 months (for work). It is a competent hotel, nothing flash , but I have always felt safe and 'known' by the staff.
If staying for business I would recommend the Executive floor as the extra amenities are worth it.
One trip I lost a few things (aftershave, and deodorant) but I figured the person who stole them probably needed them more than me. The safe is there for any real valuables. Food is OK but room service gets a bit boring after a while - ther hasn't been any update to the menus all this year. The restaurants are also OK with a great breakfast served downstairs every morning. The Gym is also competent without being over the top.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed September 13, 2008

We stayed one night at this Hilton the day we landed from Chicago. It was a 45-min drive from the Jo-Berg airport in the middle of the day. The hotel was very upscale and located in Sandton, which is considered the upscale part of Jo-Berg. The Westin and Intercont are both nearby as well as top shopping and restaurants.

Sure, this Hilton may remind you of the USA but it was a relief knowing what to expect after a 16 hour flight.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank WISCGirl
Reviewed September 9, 2008

This hotel is unsafe. During my stay there I had several things stolen from my room by the hotel staff, as did several of my collegues. The response of the managment was awful - they ignored it, refused to call the police, and treated us like we were lying. The staff are completely incompetent and rude. I would recommend staying at the nearby Sun City Hotel or the soon to be opened Holiday Inn both of which offer much safer, more pleasant experiences.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank RDSH
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Being a H Honor member, we used this hotel for our reward stay. The room was fantastic, the restaurant served good food. We had a a very relaxed night stay here after a long drive from kruger. We had rented our own car, so transport was not an issue. I would recommend checking on shuttle fares and distance to local attractions before booking this place- Sandton is a commercial business district with lots of offices and malls. Hilton does have a Hertz concierge desk for car rentals.
Overall, worked very well for us. We had a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We used the Sandton Hilton as our "base" camp and stayed there on three separate occassions in May 2008 during a 30 day holiday to South Africa and Botswana. The hotel amenities are fantastic, and the rooms are spacious and quiet. As a Hilton Honors member, we were upgraded to the executive floor twice and a suite during our final stay. The hotel arranged taxis for us from the airport and train stations, the cost of the taxis (via Hertz) was ~$55 US. One word of caution - if you are planning on storing luggage at the hotel, make certain to get a luggage ticket (and don't lose it!!), and that the staff understands when you'll be picking it back up. During a16 day safari, our luggage was moved to a storage area in the basement and the staff had a devil of a time locating it. After about 6 hours, they did find the luggage, with all contents intact including some expensive electronic equipment, but we had to ask for the manager before our concern about the missing luggage was taken seriously. Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2008

Stayed here long term for work. The hotel staff is nice, if not overly competent. The hotel itself is decent, but not overly modern. Location is good, central in Sandton.

Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I figured using my Hilton Status and earning points would be key. It's NOT worth it!

I arrived to a power failure, this area is KNOWN for it's power issues over the past few months, yet all they provided guests was a tealight candle for the room. The room was in complete darkness, not an emergency light to be found. Just grab that tiny tealight candle for light, yes this is dangerous... Yet all of the profit making areas of the hotel (Restaurant, Bar, etc) were open, lit and available.

The staff is neither friendly nor helpful, but rather rude and crass. Do not expect to be treated well. When the power returned, they did not assist with reconnecting to the internet, ensuring the safety of guests or anything else to accomodate stranded guests.

And this hotel DOES not honor typical Hilton HHonors status, so forget about upgrades, access to the lounge etc.

Finally, I paid over $400/USD for this disaster.

Take away the stars, this is 3 stars at best....This is such a nice area and there are so many better hotels closeby. The Michaelangelo would be my recommendation.

1  Thank crownroom