“Not a real Hilton”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Just arrived this morning to Johannesburg. Normally I stay at Intercontinental Sandton but I decided this time to try Hilton as I am already a member of their loyalty program...

First, arrived at the airport and was expecting Hilton to pick me up as I called them a day before and they confirmed they will. No one is there... All other hotels are present but not Hilton! Called the hotel and luckily it seems there were a driver waiting for someone else. They used him to drop me off... I have no idea what the other guest will do!

Once I arrived to the hotel, from the reception I felt I am in a 3 star hotel where the guest service are not welcoming and I didn't feel the usual warm welcome I see in other Hiltons.

Up to the room (after waiting 1.5 hours) found the room very old and not as expected...

Honestly, I would have preferred to stay at Interco or Sandton Sun rather than paying the same for Hilton with this level... Last time...

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SamehAbdelaziz
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Mr SamehAbdelaziz,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well-being very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.
However it is with greatest regret to have been informed that this was not the case during your recent stay with us.

Mr SamehAbedelaziz, I do apologize for the experience you had at the airport. I do understand your frustration especially after a long and exhausting flight. Please accept our sincere and humble apologies. The matter has been investigated and corrective and measures have been taken to prevent any reoccurrence of such delays.

With regards to your room not being ready upon arrival, kindly note that our check in time is from 14h00, which is due to preparing rooms from the night before especially when we are running a high occupancy. Even if certain room categories are sold out, we need to wait for the previous guests to depart. However I do hear your dissatisfaction and apologize for the frustration caused. If you would like to inform me of your arrival time, it will be my pleasure to personally assist you for your next reservation.

Mr SamehAbedeaziz, I am truly sorry about any inconvenience caused to you. Though I am not able to undo the negative impression received, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.
I would like to assure you, that your comments have been shared with the entire team accordingly, and we all will be always looking forward to welcoming you back one time.

Mr Samehabdelaziz, please be assured we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton one day again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

You can't really go wrong with Hilton. But they were a bit stingy with executive lounge offerings and bathroom amenities. It was however pristine (really clean), conveiniently located, the sushi chef was a wonder and the staff there made one feel totally at ease and in capable hands.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chedza M

Dear Mr Chedza M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well-being very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Mr Chedza M, with regards to the executive floor, your feedback has been positively noted and shared and we will review options accordingly.

We are delighted to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team. It was my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance to you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 29, 2014

As I regularly visit Sandton for business, I tend to book hotels or guest houses based on best price I get online once my flight times are confirmed. So I have stayed in many places within a 2km radius of the Nelson Mandela Square.

Normally the Hilton would be much more expensive than others, but this time I got a good deal online, and as it is very close to the office, I chose it.

For some reason I got bumped up to a deluxe suite and diamond level client (for free), so overall I found the stay (6 nights) very good.

The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was very good. Everything clean. I used the gym a couple of times, it was fine. Swimming pool area looked nice, but in June a bit too cold outside in the evenings to give it a go.

Wifi access was good, except for one 12 hour period where the connectivity was awful. However i had it for free as part of the upgrade they gave me, but the price for Wifi access is ver high if you are on normal room rates - even given the crazy prices charged in South Africa for data services.

They have regular shittles to Gautrain station and nelson Mandela Square, but to be honest except when carrying luggage, you should just walk, 10-15 minutes easy and safe walk and you are there.

I used a taxi one time from the rank run by the front porter, and found the price over the top, so maybe check out alternatives if you need transport form the hotel.

Did not have breakfast, seemed overpriced, and there are places around where you can get a decent breakfast at a better price.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mr Paddymanning,

Mr Paddymanning, we at Hilton Sandton prides ourselves with the breakfast we serve. There is such variety to choose from, from cereals and varieties of yoghurt, from different hole and cut fruits and freshly squeezed juices, an entire buffet of hot meals, precooked or eggs of your choice cooked for you individually, an organic section and so much more, it is almost like having a brunch.

We are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Nice place to stay in South Africa, away from home. Good location, in the heart of sandton. Good for money value. Excellent sleep quality and excellent cleanliness. Good for shopping. Good services. Nice restaurant. Good for vacantion.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kanhane
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Mr/Ms Kanhane,

Mr/Ms Kanhane, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Staff was extremely welcoming and would arrange trips for the weekend on my stay. Breakfast was great as well and didn't shut down too early. Shuttle to Mandela Square is nice and convenient. Hotel is close to a few bars and clubs in you're interested in night life - just be careful of the police looking for bribes from tourists on the walk home!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear Mr/Ms Grayson_Sasser,

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just drove 5 hours from a private game lodge only to go through a painful check in as they couldn't get my pre paid reservation sorted. Got to my supposed 5 * room only to discover a king size bed with a queen size duvet and 2 pillows. Was told by housekeeping and their manager that that's the bedding design and she was happy to change it from plain white to stripes if it would make me happy. Still wouldn't have solved the problem of a queen size duvet cover on a king size bed. I stayed the week before and the room was fine. 5*, I don't think so, maybe 3* at a push. Last time I'll be staying at this Hilton

Room Tip: Rather book a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr Theoracleoz,

First of all I thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim, being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I would like to thank you for your honest and constructive feedback. We at Hilton strive to make our guests feel at home while away from home.

However, it is with greatest concern to read that exactly that was not the case during your visit, for which I most sincerely apologize. Please be assured that your concern and open feedback is highly appreciate, hence I would like to sincerely apologize for the service you received and the frustration and dissatisfaction caused. I would highly appreciate if you could elaborate a bit further and inform us, what the challenge at check in was, in order for us to investigate further and to prevent situations like this from happening again. Please be assured that your feedback has been and always will be taken very seriously.

With regards to your duvet cover I do apologize that the size didn’t suite you, and we have updated your profile with your king-size preference, to prevent any reoccurrence in the future again.

Mr Theoracleoz, I truly regret any inconvenience caused to you, and though I am not able to undo the negative impression received, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Hotel looks plush and opulent but is a bit tiered. Staff are great but hotel needs a refresh. Breakfast choice is great. Would be nice if there was heated pool for winter, spa and sauna. Shuttle service is great. Internet is good and works well.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mr Harold D.,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and at the same time for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet our guests’ expectations.

With regards to our building I would like to inform you, that we indeed are looking into refurbishing areas of our property very soon. We have completed a soft refurbishment on our Fitness Centre, and will continue further with the replacement of new machines beginning of next year. Further have we planned a refurbishment of all our public areas, which are to be followed by our Executive Floor in the very near future.

Mr Harold D, here at Hilton we pride ourselves with the breakfast we serve. We don’t offer only a wide variety and good quality, we also offer a full organic breakfast and now with the efforts of the Food and Beverage Team we are in the process of reviewing our Healthy Menu options, as we understand that it is of great importance to you & we hope to exceed your expectations of what is on offer in the near future. Our breakfast is one of our signatures, and we are pleased to hear that our offerings found your satisfaction.

In regards to our pool, it might not be heated, but our entire pool area and its garden is unique and the biggest in Sandton which allows even during the current winter period to enjoy a drink at our pool bar while soaking up with winter sun.

Mr Harold D, we are delighted to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you as well for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Please be assured we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.