“Low your expectations”

Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Low your expectations”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The check-in took about 35 minutes and we were only 2 people waiting in line. I had to wait for 1:15 minutes to get a non smoking room. At the end the room was nice, sadly the A/C fun I had to shut it down because it just makes annoying noise.

On the other hand the internet "There is like non"... it just does not move. Do not expect to send or receive emails, neither talk over the phone or thru the computer via IP. Pages will not open at all.

Extremely poor. Hope they can do something.

I will not stay again here and I would not recommend it.

February 2014

Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Mr Juan F. L.,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton during your recent visit to Johannesburg, and secondly thank you for sharing your valuable and honest feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Mr Juan F L, it is with created concern to read about your disappointed with your check in, as you had to wait for such a long time due to your room not being ready upon arrival. I convey my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and frustrations caused for you as this should never have happened in the first place.

Regarding our internet service during your stay, you might have been informed that were changing over to a new internet provider in January; however the experienced teething problems were unforeseen. I do understand your frustration being dependent on a good internet services, and not being able to work.
However I am very pleased to be able to inform you that in the meantime our 6 meg line has been successfully upgrade 20 meg line and all issues could be resolved last week. Quality and speed have increased immensely and guest feedback has been very pleasant ever since.

Mr Juan F L, I truly regret any inconvenience caused to you, hence please be assured that any comment made is always highly appreciated and will always be taken very seriously. Though I am not able to undo the negative impression received, and though you have chosen not to come back to us again accordingly, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa one day again.
In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance for you, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always my pleasure to assist.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Spending one night on business between a trip from Mozambique to Malawi. What a surprise that internet, elevators, and the general state of an upper level hotel functions better in the deep, rural areas such as Chimoio, Mozambique. Truly amazing that a Hilton as internet as slow as 1990s dial-up. I inquired at the front desk and I received a canned answer that the hotel just changed internet recently and that the hotel is working on it. Form the looks of other reviewers this is not the case. Overall, the hotel is very worn, as many Hiltons are. the faciliteis and service reminds me of flying a plane of an american carrier (i.e. Delta). No thanks ever again.

Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Mr Kpolo,

However it is very obvious and with great concern to read that we failed to do so during a major part of your stay, for which I convey my most humble apologies.
As you have been informed we have changed over to a new internet provider in January; however the experienced teething problems were unforeseen. I do understand your frustration being dependent on a good internet services, and not being able to work.

When it comes to the age and status of our building I am happy to inform you that we are expecting a renovation of our public areas any time soon, which will be followed by the start of our floor refurbishment.

Mr Kpolo, I truly regret any inconvenience caused to you, hence please be assured that any comment made is always highly appreciated and will always be taken very seriously. Though I am not able to undo the negative impression received, and though you have chosen not to come back to us again accordingly, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance for you, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always my pleasure to assist.

Maresfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I am not too sure about the other comments on this hotel - the hotel and rooms don't seem outdated. The place is ok - the gym needs a major overhaul as it is well passed its prime, and some of the equipment looks slightly dangerous. No supervisor there at all, but water and towels a plenty.

The staff vary from excellent to woeful.

If you are coming to Jo'burg on business, you might want to consider booking somewhere else if you need to avail yourself of the internet in any way, manner or form. It is woeful. It is so slow that speedtest doesn't even register. This is my third attempt at a post - tripadvisor just timed out. The excuse is a change of provider - but a member of staff told me this problem has been going on for weeks without resolution. Even worse, they still charge you for access to the Internet.

I have had to now book a temporary office in Joburg to work from.

In short - the hotel is ok, but book elsewhere if you need any form of access to the internet whatsoever - it is worth paying the extra at another hotel! I am here for another 10 days - I will update this as I have (just now) been reassured that the problem will be resolved today (I was told this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so NOT holding my breath,)

Room Tip: Executive Level rooms are no different to other rooms. The Executive lounge allows you to eat as ma...
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Mr MJC996,

However it is very obvious and with great concern to read that we failed to do so during a major part of your stay, for which I first and for most would like to convey my most humble apologies.
You might have been informed that we have changed over to a new internet provider, indeed three weeks ago; however the experienced teething problems were unforeseen. Please believe me, I do understand your frustration being dependent on very good internet services, and not being able to work.
However I am very pleased to be able to inform you that in the meantime our 6 meg line has been successfully upgraded to a 20 meg line and all issues could be resolved this week. Quality and speed have increased immensely and guest feedback has been very positive ever since.

With regards to the Fitness Centre I would like to inform you, that we are indeed looking at refurbishing our Fitness Centre it in near future. Unfortunately I am not able to provide an exact time yet, but it has been under serious discussion.

Mr MJC996, I truly regret any inconvenience caused to you, and I would highly appreciate if you would contact me directly, to see how we are able to compensate you, and if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we (and our internet services) can do much better than recently experienced.

I sincerely hope you can accept our apologies as your recent stay is/was definitely not according to our normal standards. Please do let me know when travel brings you back to Sandton, and it will be my upmost pleasure to personally take care of your booking.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed for two nights on business. The staff is very nice, rooms are ok or maybe a but under standard for Hilton chain. Pool is very nice, although it was too cold to use it. The hotel would needa bit of renovation, otherwise very good.

Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Mr Sergej s,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

I would like to inform you that we had some renovations done to the 2nd and 3rd floors in 2010, and the 1st floor in 2011. This year 2014 we are planning to do most of our public areas and hope to be able to continue next year with our executive floor.

Mr Sergei s, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

Annecy, France
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Really great hotel with very helpful staff and a freindly atmosphere. Staying here is always a pleasure and the staff make the experience more enjoyable. thanks to the HIlton team for another pleasant stay

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Mr James W.,

Mr James W., we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed January 31, 2014

It looks it's age and unfortunately also feels it's age... The entire hotel needs refurbishing. Airco is not working in every room, wifi is very poor and very expensive but unfortunately not working as promised (was out of order for 12 hours during my 2 nights stay...). Good location near to Sandton City and free shuttlebus.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Mr Kodieken,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us once more. Our main aim, being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

Mr Kodieken, I do understand your frustration regarding your air-condition. Please accept my sincere apology as this was supposed to be checked and rectified prior your arrival. In the meantime all has been checked and repaired.

Regarding your recent internet service you might have been informed that we have changed over to a new internet provider in January, however unfortunately we were experiencing some teething problems.
I do understand your frustration being dependent on a good internet services, and not being able to work. In the meantime our 6 meg line has been successfully upgrade to currently 10 meg, which results in a magnificent improvement of quality and speed. Unfortunately our current problems lie with our new provider; however please be assured that the issues has been escalated to highest management levels, and we do our level best to get the problem sorted as soon as possible. Within the next days to come we will have our system upgraded further to a 20 meg line.

When it comes to the age of our building, I am happy to inform you, that several refurbishment projects are in the pipeline and we hope to be able to start within the next several months to come.

Mr Kodieken, I sincerely hope that some of the above explanations will find your understanding, and I would highly appreciate if you would be willing to give us another chance, to prove to you that we are able to do much better than your recent experience.

Please be always assured, we all are looking forward welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton one day again.

Giv'atayim, Israel
Reviewed January 31, 2014

After spending so many days and night in this hotel in the last years I can say only good words.
The renovated rooms are big comfortable and very well equipped.
The service is GREAT and the team is doing a tremendous effort to keep you happy.
Some room on the lower floors facing rivonia road are a bit noisy but the rest are very good.
A Well-equipped GYM with a nice outdoor swimming pool for hot days.
Exec lounge on 6th is small but comfortable with good privacy.

Excellent location in Sandton !

Room Tip: try to avoid the rooms facing Rivonia Road...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Mr/Ms WWW Coyote,

Mr/Ms WWW Coyote, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.